specialty suffix- yu

Started by Ayzìsìt Alenantang, January 02, 2010, 02:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayzìsìt Alenantang

why "toruk makto" and not "toruk maktoyo"?
the verb "makto" is "ride", so "toruk makto" is "toruk ride" or "ride a toruk", and the title is for a "toruk rider", isn't it?
"Tìfnu! Oel ngati tspang!"
"Silance! I kill you!"
~Achmed, the dead terrorist.

Doolio

in addition, it would maybe be wise to put toruk into genitive - torukyä maktoyu - toruk's rider, that is 'the rider of the toruk'. because "toruk rider" is pretty much an english idiom.

concerning your question - we don't know. the guess is that it is probably some formal title for toruk riders, and not litteral translation.
...taj rad...

Tskxäozì Ewaoe

Yeah, well there are exceptions. Makto may be able to mean rider itself.
Things are still kinda fuzzy XD

Plumps

I have a similar question that maybe fits best in here.

If -yu is the agent suffix why do we have a word like leader as eyktan? ... or is that not the male suffix -an? Just noted that while writing down, because it seemed to me eyktan would have been derived from eyk - to lead plus male suffix -an ... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If I didn't know there was a specific word for leader I would have combined it out of eyk + yu => *eykyu

Ideas? Comments? :)

Doolio

maybe 'eyktan' simply didn't derive from anything:)
or, at least, not directly. or it was simply twisted in shape through time...
...taj rad...

Ayzìsìt Alenantang

Quote from: Doolio on January 02, 2010, 03:42:17 PM
in addition, it would maybe be wise to put toruk into genitive - torukyä maktoyu - toruk's rider, that is 'the rider of the toruk'. because "toruk rider" is pretty much an english idiom.

concerning your question - we don't know. the guess is that it is probably some formal title for toruk riders, and not litteral translation.
Toruk's Rider is wrong because it suggests there is only one toruk in the world, or that Toruk is somone's name, and you rode it.
"Tìfnu! Oel ngati tspang!"
"Silance! I kill you!"
~Achmed, the dead terrorist.

Doolio

yes, in english it is. but, maybe not so in na'vi. for example, in my language that wouldn't be the case. we are all guessing pretty much here, so your point is well taken.
maybe "toruk maktoyu" is correct, that's the reason i italicised 'maybe' in my post:)

eywa ngahu
...taj rad...