Learn Na'vi > Prefixes, Infixes and Suffixes

Split topic: ro -vs- mì

(1/6) > >>

baritone:

--- Quote from: Tìtstewan on April 10, 2014, 08:21:10 am ---
--- Quote from: baritone on April 10, 2014, 02:04:37 am ---Mì letsama Ro ekxan a hawnu tok lok eyktantseng Tonetskä atxkxeyä, fko pamrel soli san "Это наша земля" sìk.
At the barricade which is near the Adminitration (place) of the land of Donetsk, one wrote, "Это наша земля".
--- End quote ---
Thank you!
But what's the difference between adpositions 'mi+' and 'ro+'?
--- End quote ---

Tìtstewan:
It depends how one say it. I thought, ro+ would fit there better than mì+, but I see that mì+ would work there too.
-> ro ekxan / ekxanro - at the barricade vs. mì ekxan / ekxanmì - on the barricade
(It the same thing like in English on vs at or German auf vs bei/an)
But, somehow, mì+ implies me, that something "lies" on a sureface, on the top of a barricade. The word ro+ would "allow" that something could be sticky on a site of a barricade.

mì+
X
|||    vs    |||Xro+

This is just my thoughs about it, but it would be nice, what other smuk would say. :)

Kemaweyan:
I think ro+ implies some action which relates to the place. For example ro numtseng (at school) means that person is studying, but mì numtseng (in school) means being in physical place (school building) only. It's how I understand the difference.

Tanri:
At the barricade which is near the Adminitration (place) of the land of Donetsk, one wrote, "Это наша земля".
Mì1) ekxan a lok2) *eyktantseng atxkxeyä3) Tonetskä, fko pamrel soli san Fìatxkxe lu awngeyä sìk.

1) mì and ro are very close to each other, but there is a difference.
Mì is used in general sence, in the sentences like "mì mo a hahaw" - "in the bedroom".
Ro takes place when speaking about geographical locations, or locations that have its own name, like "ro ’Rrta" - "on the Earth".

2) Tok shouldn't be there, because there already is an (unspoken) verb lu. Full sentence is "mì ekxan a lu lok eyktantseng..." - "on the barricade which is close to the administrative center...".

3) Also I have reversed the order of atxkxeyä and Tonetskä, to emphasize the fact that it is the place of the land (of the Donetsk), not place of the Donetsk (of the land).
This can be said "eyktantseng atxkxeyä alu Tonetsìk", or even "eyktantseng atxkxetsyìpä alu Tonetsìk" - "administrative center of the Doneck district"

Tìtstewan:

--- Quote from: Kemaweyan on April 10, 2014, 02:49:36 pm ---I think ro+ implies some action which relates to the place. For example ro numtseng (at school) means that person is studying, but mì numtseng (in school) means being in physical place (school building) only. It's how I understand the difference.
--- End quote ---
This is very interesting! Some members are using, for example, ro [website], but some others are using mì.
In the Horen is written this:

--- Quote from: Horen lì'fyayä leNa'vi ---6.5.31. Ro (+). At (locative only)
--- End quote ---


--- Quote from: Tanri on April 10, 2014, 02:52:01 pm ---2) Tok shouldn't be there, because there already is an (unspoken) verb lu. Full sentence is "mì ekxan a lu lok eyktantseng..." - "on the barricade which is close to the administrative center...".
--- End quote ---
But, the barricades "occupy" a place/space near the administration, therefore I used tok. ...which "occupy a space" near to the administration center...


--- Quote from: Tanri on April 10, 2014, 02:52:01 pm ---3) Also I have reversed the order of atxkxeyä and Tonetskä, to emphasize the fact that it is the place of the land (of the Donetsk), not place of the Donetsk (of the land).
This can be said "eyktantseng atxkxeyä alu Tonetsìk", or even "eyktantseng atxkxetsyìpä alu Tonetsìk" - "administrative center of the Doneck district"
--- End quote ---
I see, I forgot to write ì after k...Tonetskì...
As for the translations of the "Donetsk regional administration", I thought about it, and I think, it would be ok if one translate it just as *eyktantseng Tonetskìä/Tonetsìkä without to mentioning "land".

EDIT:
...kinda off-topic :o :-[ :-[ :-[ :-X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version