This probably could go into all the beginner topics, but is this right?

Started by AuLekye'ung, January 26, 2010, 09:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuLekye'ung

Alright, so I made a nonsensical sentence: My blue ikran flew close to the sun.

This was my thought process:

Oeri ikran aean tamswayon lok ne tswake.
Oe-ri (TOP) ikran (GEN) a-ean t<am>swayon lok ne tswake.
My blue ikran flew close to the sun. (intended)
I ikran blue flew close to sun. (literal)

Primarily, I'm wondering about the noun cases, and what all they mean.  (When do you use the -yä, -ri, etc.?)

Also, was lok ne correct?  It seemed, from what I've found at the main site that lok should have been able to stand alone, but I am still skxawng.
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Tsamsteu

My blue ikran flew class to the sun.

Oe-yä ikran a-ean lok tsawke tsw<am>on.

yä = possessive suffix; oe-yä = my

a = adj marker; a-ean = blue (adj for ikran)

lok = close to (no need for "ne")

tsw<am>on = past tense (you just misplaced/mispelled it)

Does that make sense?
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

AuLekye'ung

Irayo.

I was confusing topical and genative cases.  I figured that I didn't need the ne.

So, -yä as the possessive?  Or, if the word ends in a consonant then just -ä?

Just for clarification: Oe-yä(GEN) ikran a-ean lok tsawke tsw<am>on.  Right?

However, I am still confused on, from what I read http://content.learnnavi.org/taronyu/Inflections.pdf, the verb infixes section indicates "positions" 2 & 3 to put in infixes like <am> or <ei>?

For instance, I wrote it as t<am>swayon because I assumed that "position 2" meant inserted between letter 1 and 2, and "position 3" was between 2 and 3.

How does it really work?

Irayo,

Keyeunga Au
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Nyx

Shouldn't it be tsw<am>ayon for "flew"? Since fly is tswayon and you put -am- in it for something that happened in the past.

As for the positions, they're not about the letters but about the syllables. As I got it, the infixes for tense go after the consonant (cluster) of the second to last syllable, and the ones for whether you like something or not (i.e. -ei- and -äng-) go in after the consonant (cluster) of the last syllable. So with "tswayon" you'd put the tense between the w and a. However, I don't know why Tsamsteu put it as "tswamon" (maybe I could get some help here?).

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.. I'm still learning :)

omängum fra'uti

The commonly held belief is that "tswayon" is a copy/paste mistake and that's an inflected verb for future tense, where the real verb is "tswon".
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

AuLekye'ung

I'm still confused.

So fly is actually tswon?  So the past tense would be tswamon?  I don't get the syllable thing, since many verbs are one syllable, like tswon, which actually would be tswonam?

Can you explain the syllable position thing again?

- Älpert Aynstayn

omängum fra'uti

If there's only one syllable, all infixes go before the vowel of that one syllable.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

AuLekye'ung

So, for taron it would be ta<am>ron, and for lu it would be l<am>u?  Or for tswon it would be tsw<am>on?

- Älpert Aynstayn

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

AuLekye'ung

- Älpert Aynstayn