Verbs beginning with a vowel, i.e. "omum"

Started by Reiey fpi Sìtaron, November 19, 2010, 02:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reiey fpi Sìtaron

Where does the infix go in two syllable verbs like this where the vowel comes first, as the infix comes before the vowel of the next to last syllable? "will know" = *ayomum or *omayum?

omängum fra'uti

It still comes before the vowel of the penultimate syllable, that doesn't change by the syllable starting with a vowel.  So it would be ayomum.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Tirea Aean

yeah. I agree with omängum fra'uti. omayum would say that ay is a <2> infix, when it is a <1>.

omum would be "graphed" as

<0><1>om<2>um

if two infixes are to be used it is most often <1> and <2> ones:
<1>om<2>um as in ayomeium

but more commonly will one infix at a time be used as in:

eykomum, ivomum, omängum
<0>omum, <1>omum, om<2>um etc.

'Oma Tirea

NB this verb is particularly interesting because it is a bisyllabic verb that begins with a vowel, and therefore has some stress shifts when infixes are added...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

wm.annis

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 19, 2010, 04:29:13 PM
NB this verb is particularly interesting because it is a bisyllabic verb that begins with a vowel, and therefore has some stress shifts when infixes are added...

So far, only omum has this accent shift.  It's a peculiarity of the word, not the word shape.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: wm.annis on November 19, 2010, 04:33:39 PM
Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 19, 2010, 04:29:13 PM

So far, only omum has this accent shift.  It's a peculiarity of the word, not the word shape.
Although is there any other verb currently in Na'vi that begins with a vowel and is bisyllabic with stress on the final syllable when not inflected?  Last I checked, there wasn't....

...and who knows?  I could merely be speculating...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Plumps

eyk and omum are in fact, until now, the only ... let's call them basic verbs that begin with a vowel