What is with the <...>???

Started by moohug4, January 06, 2011, 08:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 06, 2011, 10:34:18 PM

that is true. tho for stuff like "like a thanator" not sure why you'd not wanna use the word na. (tho I totally see that you are just making a valid point.) :D

You got the point :)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kì’onga Vul

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 06, 2011, 10:34:18 PM

that is true. tho for stuff like "like a thanator" not sure why you'd not wanna use the word na. (tho I totally see that you are just making a valid point.) :D

For irony:

Oe plltxe nìpalulukan.

And now for something actually relevant and helpful:

Adpositions, like Tirea Aean mentioned, can be put before or after the word, like this:

(in) + utral (tree)

mì utral  in the tree
utralmì  in the tree

BUT

Only when the adposition occurs before the word does lenition (if applicable) occur.  So:

(in) + kilvan (river)

mì hilvan  in the river
but
kilvanmì  in the river

(In this example, lenition changes the k at the beginning of the word to h.)

P.S. Technically, mì hilvan can also mean "in the rivers," but you'll rarely come across someone trying to use it that way.  Don't worry about this for now.
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.

moohug4

OOOHHHH! I FINALLY UNDERSTAND! THAAANNNNKKKKK YYYYOOOOUUU!
If I spell something wrong, correct me!

Maweyatan

Quote from: moohug4 on January 06, 2011, 09:02:18 PM
OOOOOOOOHHHHHH!  ::)
So, it's just learning purposes? Like, Tute is sibling, but tutan is Brother and tuté?

Small Correction: *Tute is the noun for person, not sibling. Sibling is "Tsmuk"

So:

Tute - Person
Tutan - Man
Tuté - Woman

And for "Sibling":

Tsmuk - Sibling
Tsmukan - Brother
Tsmuké - Sister

Kemaweyan

Hmm.. But in Listening Comprehension I clearly hear Ke lu poru kea smúke :-\ What is that? Just Pawl's mistake? Unlikely.. Maybe shift of stress to feminine ending -e is not a rule, but just an exception for words túte (person) and tuté - (woman)?
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Ikran Ahiyìk

It's tsmuke in Taronyu's Dictionary, no errors at all..

I think that é is just a mistake after coping..

tuté --copy-> tuté tuté --edit-> tuté tsmuké ..
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Kì’onga Vul

Quote from: Kemaweyan on January 15, 2011, 09:31:38 PM
Maybe shift of stress to feminine ending -e is not a rule, but just an exception for words túte (person) and tuté - (woman)?

That's what I remember understanding from NiaN.  I'm assuming that the stress shifts only for tute, because otherwise tute and tuté would sound the same.  Otherwise, I'm guessing that that "affixes don't affect stress" rule is consistent.  (Except for omum, cough.)
學而時習之!
Did I make an error you just can't stand to let survive?  Please, correct me!  I'll give you candy or something.