Author Topic: IDEAS  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Nusumea Tirea

• 'Eveng
  • Eywa ngahu
Re: IDEAS
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2010, 12:04:43 am »
as it is 7 in the morning here, sure, I will be around later.

Offline Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

• Palulukan Makto
  • Mowana tsamsiyu aean alu Tsyeyk <3
    • Facebook
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2010, 02:48:19 am »
So with a bit of discussion, this is what will be done about this (and also for my benefit to write this somewhere to remember)

• There will be a set amount of worksheets for each lesson/unit.
• Every 3-5 lessons, there will be a small "exam" to review everything that the student will have learned
• All these exams will be cumulative, meaning they will have material from previous "units" as well (I'm debating doing this with worksheets, which will anyway, but also with a bit of blatancy to it).
• There will be a final test where everything learned will be tested.  It shouldn't be hard if everything before it is learned cumulatively.

It may be a while, but I will be releHasing the first couple of worksheets and maybe the first exam (for Level 1, for now) by the end of December.  A little Christmas present, if you will. ;)

Wow! I like the sound of that a lot! I think a short worksheet after each lesson will be a great way for students to practice and apply what they know. They are all very bright students and can learn this language, they just need some more practice with it. The cumulative exams will also show who is retaining info and who could use more review, which I'll be happy to help with :) Can't wait to see what you come up with!

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Offline Puvomun

• Palulukan Makto
  • nl Netherlands
  • Ayoeyä sa'nok anawm ngahu
    • PaganPaul's
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2010, 05:21:54 am »
I had an idea about prezis last evening. This morning I wrote some stuff down and sent that to Le'eylan, as we had agreed, to see what she thinks of it. Just letting you know that I did. I'll leave it to her / wait until she stopped laughing formed an opinion about it before spilling uncooked beans here.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

• Palulukan Makto
    • Facebook
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:40 pm »
This winter break, I want to plan things out very concisely compared to NgN's past of many unknowns and impromptuness...Lesson plans and a curriculum. KS members, I value your input on this. Lets get together sometime and devise a curriculum of lesson plans AHEAD of time for the next NgayNume launch. we can do some of that chatting in the KS lounge thread.

Txantsana säfpìl!!!!!!!!! This would be absolutely awesome! As I said in the Feedback Thread, "If there was one thing that I didn't like about the Project, it's that I never knew what kind of lessons to make week to week."

As for my solution to students not practicing, I think we need to have a lot more speaking/pronunciation lessons. OH! That reminds me, does anyone know where that poem that Kì'eyawn wrote on her card to Paul (for the convention) is? I'd love to make a speaking lesson out of that and make a special recording of it.

I am not sure what to do about the students not asking questions if they don't understand.....:(

-Txonä Rolyu

Offline Tirea Aean

• The Blue One
  • Olo'eyktan Anawm
  • Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Oeri ran lu srung
    • Tirea Aean
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2010, 06:33:23 pm »
This winter break, I want to plan things out very concisely compared to NgN's past of many unknowns and impromptuness...Lesson plans and a curriculum. KS members, I value your input on this. Lets get together sometime and devise a curriculum of lesson plans AHEAD of time for the next NgayNume launch. we can do some of that chatting in the KS lounge thread.

Txantsana säfpìl!!!!!!!!! This would be absolutely awesome! As I said in the Feedback Thread, "If there was one thing that I didn't like about the Project, it's that I never knew what kind of lessons to make week to week."

As for my solution to students not practicing, I think we need to have a lot more speaking/pronunciation lessons. OH! That reminds me, does anyone know where that poem that Kì'eyawn wrote on her card to Paul (for the convention) is? I'd love to make a speaking lesson out of that and make a special recording of it.

I am not sure what to do about the students not asking questions if they don't understand.....:(

-Txonä Rolyu

sweet. seeya in the KS lounge.

I will ask her for it.

kelku ikranä a hawnventi yom podcast (na'vi-only): https://tirearadio.com/podcast
Learn Na'vi Discord Chat: https://discord.gg/WF6qcmv

Offline Puvomun

• Palulukan Makto
  • nl Netherlands
  • Ayoeyä sa'nok anawm ngahu
    • PaganPaul's
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2010, 10:52:17 pm »
As for my solution to students not practicing, I think we need to have a lot more speaking/pronunciation lessons.
This is what I suggested to Le'eylan as well. Things like that are very important, to make the language alive. Get them over the fear of making mistakes.

Difficult. Remind them that asking questions is the way to learn, not the way to display they are dumb. NOT asking is dumb, for then you never learn. And keep reminding them.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Offline Nusumea Tirea

• 'Eveng
  • Eywa ngahu
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2010, 01:26:44 am »
Difficult. Remind them that asking questions is the way to learn, not the way to display they are dumb. NOT asking is dumb, for then you never learn. And keep reminding them.

Not asking questions is dumb, I agree. But maybe it's just going too fast for some.
When you ask them questions, don't do it in Na'vi unless you know they all know the needed vocabulary to understand the question and perhaps to answer it. Otherwise I see them starting browsing through the dictionary every time you ask a question.
I think what is needed is a basic set of vocabulary for questions and an equal basic set how to answer them (like a template: What is ..., This is a ... ) to give them at the start. From there it would be possible to enhance the vocabulary further, because then you can show a picture and ask in Na'vi what it is and the question would be understood and can be answered easily.

• Palulukan Makto
    • Facebook
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2010, 02:37:24 am »

Not asking questions is dumb, I agree. But maybe it's just going too fast for some.
When you ask them questions, don't do it in Na'vi unless you know they all know the needed vocabulary to understand the question and perhaps to answer it. Otherwise I see them starting browsing through the dictionary every time you ask a question.
I think what is needed is a basic set of vocabulary for questions and an equal basic set how to answer them (like a template: What is ..., This is a ... ) to give them at the start. From there it would be possible to enhance the vocabulary further, because then you can show a picture and ask in Na'vi what it is and the question would be understood and can be answered easily.

I never ask questions in Na'vi. I know they wouldn't be able to understand me. We haven't had much listening practice sadly. There has been a short Prezi made by Le'eylan about question/answer words and my class has gone over it. Perhaps we should review it...

-Txonä Rolyu

Offline Le'eylan

• Palulukan Makto
    • Blog/Pìlok
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2010, 08:21:35 am »

I don't think you guys realize how much easier my live would become if we do this.
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Offline Tirea Aean

• The Blue One
  • Olo'eyktan Anawm
  • Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Oeri ran lu srung
    • Tirea Aean
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2010, 08:25:34 am »

I don't think you guys realize how much easier my live would become if we do this.

The day we get done, then comes Launch 3. To the Lounge! we have much to discuss!

kelku ikranä a hawnventi yom podcast (na'vi-only): https://tirearadio.com/podcast

Offline Tirea Aean

• The Blue One
  • Olo'eyktan Anawm
  • Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Oeri ran lu srung
    • Tirea Aean
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2011, 06:19:54 pm »
Tiaothi has mentioned homework.

I agree that it will help reinforce and keep info fresh.

Eltu Lefngap 'Eveng has volunteered to make a worksheet to follow every class.

Additionally, after a few lessons, I would like us all to start using the Na'vi Nì'aw Homework board. I propose the following:

KS members will rotate (take turns) making the weekly Na'vi only chat topic. The topic is to be ONLY about things that have been up to that point taught in class. A little bit of Na'vi only chatting would be great and will help with retention of learned material. KS members, more about this to come in the KS subforum.

everyone else, come to class, work on the worksheet, and then make a post whenever possible within the week in Na'vi in the homework board. Please read the rules thread too.

what do you guys think? I think it would be a good way to extend the Na'vi learning throughout the week. I dont expect more than one post, but you are more than welcome to make more than one post or response. this is not graded, and no one will be ridiculed based on level of learning. such trolling is unacceptable and such ridiculing posts will be removed. But honestly, I have yet to EVER see anyone on this whole forum say anything bad about anyone's Na'vi. we are all just so nice, kind, helpful, and accepting. ;D

• Palulukan Makto
    • Facebook
« Reply #171 on: January 23, 2011, 09:35:30 pm »
Tiaothi has mentioned homework.

I agree that it will help reinforce and keep info fresh.

Eltu Lefngap 'Eveng has volunteered to make a worksheet to follow every class.

Additionally, after a few lessons, I would like us all to start using the Na'vi Nì'aw Homework board. I propose the following:

KS members will rotate (take turns) making the weekly Na'vi only chat topic. The topic is to be ONLY about things that have been up to that point taught in class. A little bit of Na'vi only chatting would be great and will help with retention of learned material. KS members, more about this to come in the KS subforum.

everyone else, come to class, work on the worksheet, and then make a post whenever possible within the week in Na'vi in the homework board. Please read the rules thread too.

what do you guys think? I think it would be a good way to extend the Na'vi learning throughout the week. I dont expect more than one post, but you are more than welcome to make more than one post or response. this is not graded, and no one will be ridiculed based on level of learning. such trolling is unacceptable and such ridiculing posts will be removed. But honestly, I have yet to EVER see anyone on this whole forum say anything bad about anyone's Na'vi. we are all just so nice, kind, helpful, and accepting. ;D

Oeru sunu fìsäfpìl nìtxan! I also want to restate not being afraid. I think that's what's holding a lot of students back. I promise you have nothing to fear. Shoot, I learned a lot of what I know because I was wrong, then corrected. Just give it your best shot! I will give Karma to whoever does :) We (the teachers) are only looking for effort, NOT perfection. We are more than happy to help if you need it :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Offline Pino

• Ketuwong
Creating Prezis Together
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2011, 08:56:24 pm »
Instead of just one person creating a prezi for Project Ngaynume, Multiple people can work together on it. Then it could be used in the future for class, one on one, and etc. For the first time, multiple people have created this prezi: http://prezi.com/dqpcw1red0jy/project-ngaynume/ for Project Ngaynume. Anyone is free to join. You will need a Prezi account; also a link to edit the Prezi. We can all collaborate to make future prezis on any subject.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:01:15 pm by Pino »

Offline Tsam'Txur

• Ketuwong
« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:02 am »
I have a suggestion; I've checked this topic and I found nothing about video chat. If a multi-video conference were organized as part of this project, then Na'vi could be taught with hand gestures instead of images from google. It would satisfy Terea's want for little to no translation by offering a discriptive action people can learn from instead; not to mention that hand gestures are universal for almost every language. It would also provide a deeper means of communication of language concepts. My German teacher uses this method and I swear by it. What do guys think?
Jake-How will I know if he chooses me?
Neytiri-He will try to kill you.
Jake-...Outstanding.

Offline Tirea Aean

• The Blue One
  • Olo'eyktan Anawm
  • Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Oeri ran lu srung
    • Tirea Aean
« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2011, 02:04:05 pm »
there are loads of words which cannot be explained by gestures. (the same can be said about pictures, and it is a valid point tht for some words pictures cant cover, gestures can)

Also, we have many less students than we could have because they value anonymity extremely to the point that they refuse to download Teamspeak and talk. either that or their parents are overprotective in the same way, OR are super insecure about what their voice sounds like.

if we would introduce video, it would probably have to be only the teacher who uses webcam, because if people are like that about VoIP, they are even more afraid of webcams.

I am all FOR webcams and VoIP, its more personal and interactive and "real". I like that. but unfortunately, many people DONT like that for exactly those reasons.

this is not a shootdown; this idea I will keep in consideration to see what we can maybe do with it in the future.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 02:07:12 pm by Tirea Aean »

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy
| XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, LightStorm Entertainment or The Walt Disney Company.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi