*UPDATED* - Avatray 0.3.4 - A tray launcher for your Na'vi stuff...

Started by Swoka Ikran, December 19, 2010, 11:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Swoka Ikran

2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

guest2859

I looked in to other options, and a guy off of dA told me about 'Visual Basic'. It's a programming language for Windows Applications, that gives you a life view of what it's supposed to look like, function, etc... Well, I figure out how to change the icon and name, and that's all. Maybe Avatray could be integrated into it a little?

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eana Nantang 'Rrtayä on February 06, 2011, 06:38:22 PM
I looked in to other options, and a guy off of dA told me about 'Visual Basic'. It's a programming language for Windows Applications, that gives you a life view of what it's supposed to look like, function, etc... Well, I figure out how to change the icon and name, and that's all. Maybe Avatray could be integrated into it a little?
VB is obsolete (the last release was v6, in 1998). Today, many people detest VB because many VB apps are a pain in the txím to support on new OSes. Back in its prime, it was a good language (a lot of old Win9x software is written in it), but it's been dead for 10 years now. :(

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

guest2859

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 06, 2011, 07:49:21 PM
VB is obsolete (the last release was v6, in 1998). Today, many people detest VB because many VB apps are a pain in the txím to support on new OSes. Back in its prime, it was a good language (a lot of old Win9x software is written in it), but it's been dead for 10 years now. :(

Beg to differ.

akiwiguy

Quote from: Eana Nantang 'Rrtayä on February 06, 2011, 10:00:19 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 06, 2011, 07:49:21 PM

Beg to differ.

That's VB.net, which is way different from the original VB. They are in no way whatsoever compatible with each other.

I have Visual Basic 5 on CD somewhere, as well as Visual Studio 2005, 2008 and 2010.

hemmond

Nice app. I'm gonna try to use it under Kubuntu Linux 10.04 with wine (after I'll install it)... Will it work? :)
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: hemmond on February 16, 2011, 04:40:44 PM
Nice app. I'm gonna try to use it under Kubuntu Linux 10.04 with wine (after I'll install it)... Will it work? :)
It will, but you'll need to set up the alternate launching options for the browser links and PDFs to work.

Also, the automatic updater and the downloader for the dictionaries likely won't work because they rely on Internet Explorer components (which are missing in Wine). The email checker should work though.

akiwiguy

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 16, 2011, 04:50:15 PM
It will, but you'll need to set up the alternate launching options for the browser links and PDFs to work.

Also, the automatic updater and the downloader for the dictionaries likely won't work because they rely on Internet Explorer components (which are missing in Wine). The email checker should work though.

The IE components are replaced with Gecko components with the same names and same API calls, so it should just work in WINE.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 16, 2011, 08:53:43 PM

The IE components are replaced with Gecko components with the same names and same API calls, so it should just work in WINE.
Wine HQ's site says otherwise...although I just realized the test results are labeled "very old" :P The test was done on Wine 1.0-RC2, current stable version is 1.2.2...

If someone tries the new features on Wine, I'm interested in the results.

akiwiguy

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 16, 2011, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 16, 2011, 08:53:43 PM

Wine HQ's site says otherwise...although I just realized the test results are labeled "very old" :P The test was done on Wine 1.0-RC2, current stable version is 1.2.2...

If someone tries the new features on Wine, I'm interested in the results.

I'll download and test it now. I'll report back in a few minutes.

akiwiguy

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 16, 2011, 09:31:30 PM
Downloader works and mail checker works. Sweet!
Nice. Irayo for testing it!

I'll update the first post later today (in a bit of a rush right now :P )

akiwiguy

So, it has translation support, but noone has done a Na'vi translation yet?
Pleh.

Maybe someone with more Na'vi skills than me should do it...

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 17, 2011, 01:27:00 PM
Pleh.
It's probably because a lot of the words used in the interface don't exist in Na'vi (at least according to the dictionary)...for instance: "Settings", "install", "Applications", "Compatibility", "Update", "Browser", "Default", and "Email" just to name a few. Some of these could be rewritten (e.g. "Install" becoming "Put in"), but for some, there just isn't a substitute.

If anyone wants to take a shot at making a Na'vi translation, I'll be happy to include it with the program. :)

EDIT: ...updated the first post and the changelog in the zip file. Now simply says "Linux compatible using Wine".

guest2859

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 17, 2011, 03:25:39 PM
Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 17, 2011, 01:27:00 PM
Pleh.
It's probably because a lot of the words used in the interface don't exist in Na'vi (at least according to the dictionary)...for instance: "Settings", "install", "Applications", "Compatibility", "Update", "Browser", "Default", and "Email" just to name a few. Some of these could be rewritten (e.g. "Install" becoming "Put in"), but for some, there just isn't a substitute.

If anyone wants to take a shot at making a Na'vi translation, I'll be happy to include it with the program. :)

EDIT: ...updated the first post and the changelog in the zip file. Now simply says "Linux compatible using Wine".

Opened file, say tray options. Looked easy. Scrolled down and lost patience. I'll just stay with making Icon's for now...

akiwiguy

If it's Linux compatible with Wine, it's Mac OS X compatible too. See here.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on February 17, 2011, 06:06:10 PM

If it's Linux compatible with Wine, it's Mac OS X compatible too. See here.
Tewti! If it works as the app claims, I'll list this as "Mac compatible via Wine" as well.

Anybody with a Mac willing to test it?

Quote from: WineBottler WebsiteWineBottler allows standalone (i.e. not requiring wine to be installed) applications to be created as well, by including the wine bundle inside the standalone application bundle.
This looks interesting...if this works, maybe I could offer a Mac download that doesn't need any set up.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I have a Mac at home.  Give me 10 hours to get home  ;) and then I'll test it with wine.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Eana Nantang 'Rrtayä on February 17, 2011, 05:55:59 PM
Opened file, say tray options. Looked easy. Scrolled down and lost patience. I'll just stay with making Icon's for now...
There's more text in this program then one would think.

Even I didn't realize how much there was until I made the separate language resource file. :o

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on February 18, 2011, 10:17:39 AM
I have a Mac at home.  Give me 10 hours to get home  ;) and then I'll test it with wine.
Will do :) Let me know how it goes.