ABC Focuses on Constructed Languages in SF (by way of Na'vi)

Started by wm.annis, December 21, 2009, 08:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm.annis

The usual Flash player requirements.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9369560

Cameron speaks some Na'vi!  They interview Fromer, including an explanation of the ejectives.  Includes one of my fave scenes of all film history — getting smacked during a language lesson.

wisnij

I highly recommend listening to this clip, if only to hear Frommer pronounce the ejectives in a fluid sentence.  And then you should practice them, over and over.  ;D
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

TrueJournals

Actually, this clip really gave me a good idea of how to pronounce the ejectives, being a native English speaker.

Plus... now I know how to correctly pronounce skxawng, and I can, therefore, insult people in a language they don't understand!  Life is good!

Tirealì'u

Fantastic clip. It was good to hear the language spoken good and clearly - and even with some explanation. Great find!

Tsmukan Ikranä

excellent i never knew how to make the poping sound till this clip, AWESOME!!
Seze
Tsteu Seze! Txur Seze! FKEU SEZE!!
Nawm ronsem lonu ta fkeu tokx, fpi Na'Viä fpom.
Mawey txur txe'lan, tswayon nìwin.
Set unil ftue.
Eywa ngahu tsmuke! ( Irayo! everyone who helped me edit this n.n )

Tirekameyu

Yeah, this is a great clip for that reason. I bet Paul Frommer is psyched that already his language is getting the coverage that it is. Who knows, maybe the translation for Hamlet will come right from this forum...
Check out my Na'vi blog! - http://tirekameyu.livejournal.com

Oel ngati kameie!

Zalorticus

I found this very helpful. The popping never made any sense.
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Seniver

Very helpful, best official example so far! (other than the film itself, heh)

Ptxèrra

to bad it leaks (thats becouse of my beast (my pc, the sound it gives looks like a hell of a beast) but he's old an cant handel HD and sometimes normal vid)
Oel ayngati kameie i was there

remember power corrups, absolute power..... is a whole lot of fun.
Sheepies: They just eat grass until something kills them,  it might as well be you!!

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Anyone know is the Na'vi phrases/sentences in this clip already loaded on TalkNavi.com? Just wanna save myself the effort before I make sound bites of them all. Thanks.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Motxokxen