An Annotated Dictionary (update 06 February 2023)

Started by Plumps, August 31, 2014, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumps

New blog post added.
Main file in the gallery and the first post of this thread have been updated.

I also already included a short introduction to IPA, word formation, a note on spelling (don't know how useful that is) and a list of abbreviations.

I am stuck on proofreading for the moment and I haven't decluttered the big entries (for 'u for example) in the main file. But I'll get to it eventually. ;)

Blue Elf

Great work, ma Plumps. I downloaded it and will look inside - I believe it will be useful for me.
Point for you - karma for you!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

Thank you so much, ma B.E.! :)

Finally got around to update and include the latest blog post.

Noticed that I didn't have an entry for hufwetsyìp, could add an example to frrtu, inanfya, tsakrr (n.)

Version 150904 is available in the first post for download.

Kame Ayyo’koti

This is already one of the next great documents available for this language. I especially like the abbreviations you've added. It's beautiful. A real masterpiece, ma Plumps. :)

Regarding the pronunciation section I want to mention, as an American I've always pronounced Beowulf as "BEE-oh-wuhlf" [i.o] or "BAY-oh-wuhlf" [ɛj.o], not "BEW-wuhlf." Maybe that's incorrect, but I imagine other Americans might pronounce it the same, so I suggest using a different example word for [ɛw].
(Part of the problem is that there's so many English dialects, which pronounce words differently.)

In fact, I can't think of an (American) English word that contains [ɛw] (as a single syllable). Does that sound combination even exist in American English? ???
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Plumps

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on September 04, 2015, 08:19:31 PM
This is already one of the next great documents available for this language. I especially like the abbreviations you've added. It's beautiful. A real masterpiece, ma Plumps. :)

:-X :-[ Irayo nìtxan, ma Kame Ayyo'koti. Ngeyä aylì'u tsranten oer nìtxan.
As long as it helps somebody, it was all worth it ;)

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on September 04, 2015, 08:19:31 PMRegarding the pronunciation section I want to mention, as an American I've always pronounced Beowulf as "BEE-oh-wuhlf" [i.o] or "BAY-oh-wuhlf" [ɛj.o], not "BEW-wuhlf." Maybe that's incorrect, but I imagine other Americans might pronounce it the same, so I suggest using a different example word for [ɛw].
(Part of the problem is that there's so many English dialects, which pronounce words differently.)

In fact, I can't think of an (American) English word that contains [ɛw] (as a single syllable). Does that sound combination even exist in American English? ???

Yes, I think Tirea told me that when I had that idea and told him about it on TeamSpeak. I wondered were my pronunciation of it came from. I searched on Wikipedia and in Old English apparently was pronounced like that. So it must be a remnant of my university course on the development of the English language from Old English to Modern English.
:-\ I will think of a way to describe that differently. Do you have a suggestion? Somehow I always disliked just saying "pronounce Na'vi e and w together" ... anything that comes close is good enough for me.

Tirea Aean

You're exactly right, ma Kame, indeed the problem is that the diphthong ew as found in Na'vi does not exist in US English (or any version of English I've encountered yet so far).

These phonetic approximate examples are pretty much just that. As long as it's disclosed that these are highly relative and dependent on dialect/accent and are always approximations, then it's all good.  The effort to apply familiar words to new letter sounds is to more easily get a feel for it without learning IPA. Sure, to many people, pronouncing these words in one's own dialect will yield incorrect results, but the hope is, that they will one day hear a lot of spoken Na'vi audio clips (looks at Frommer's blog and my sounds page) and will come to realize what the sounds of Na'vi truly are with respect to their transcription.

For this reason, I've never told people to study these sets of words as found in NiaN Ch. 1, but rather, just listen to lots of audio (as seen on Na'viteri). Now, there's my sounds page and the Alphabet song! (Which I should totally upload to YouTube) :D

But still, it stands:

and

Quote from: Plumps on September 04, 2015, 11:05:04 PM
Yes, I think Tirea told me that when I had that idea and told him about it on TeamSpeak. I wondered were my pronunciation of it came from. I searched on Wikipedia and in Old English apparently was pronounced like that. So it must be a remnant of my university course on the development of the English language from Old English to Modern English.
:-\ I will think of a way to describe that differently. Do you have a suggestion? Somehow I always disliked just saying "pronounce Na'vi e and w together" ... anything that comes close is good enough for me.

I think I remember this.  But I also remember saying that Beowulf is actually one of the best familiar words I can think of that even comes close.  It was a much better idea than the "eyo" I saw somewhere else. :)

Tìtstewan

Ma Plumps,

Your dictionary has been moved to the "Downloads" section (see menu tab), because the upcomming new gallery software does not support documents.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Plumps

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

I found a small mistake.
" 'llngo [***] n., body (pl. me'llngo, pxe-
'llngo, ay'llngo) hip. Furia 'llngo ngeyä
zoslu, 'efu oe nitram nì'aw. I'm just
happy that your hip is getting better. "

The word 'body' should be changed to 'hip'.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Plumps

Quote from: Hahaw[hhvhhvcz] on November 07, 2015, 03:10:50 PM
I found a small mistake.
" 'llngo [***] n., body (pl. me'llngo, pxe-
'llngo, ay'llngo) hip. Furia 'llngo ngeyä
zoslu, 'efu oe nitram nì'aw. I'm just
happy that your hip is getting better. "

The word 'body' should be changed to 'hip'.

It's not meant to be the actual translation of the word but rather what it refers to, i.e. of the body/body part
I see that I haven't done that with other body parts. So, I'll delete that for the next version.
Thanks for pointing that out, ma Hahaw.

Those are the kind of things that are important and where I need all the eyes I can get ;) There are still a few decision to make ... but I haven't found the time to do it yet.

Plumps

Version 2015-12-06 is available in the first post for download.

Words from the new blog entry.

Also, per request, I added a change log. Could make additions to kxänäng, kan, takuk, yo.

edit: 2015-12-06

Plumps

Version 2016-17-04 is available in the first post for download.

Words from the new blog entry.

Also, I haven't been idle ... among the major changes are:

major reworking, I've added hyperlinks up to section N. That means that you can click on the derivations under each word and after the 'see ...' or 'opposite of' symbols to jump to that main entry (and ideally back again, if it all works out in the end ;) )

'u entry decluttered,
example to 'awm added,
stress of lefpomtokx and kelfpomtokx corrected;
tsamkuk added,
examples for somwew and pxi  added.

I hope you like ...

Tìtstewan

'Awa lì'u: Txantsan! :D

Edit: I've enabled "Most Downloads" in the download tab, and your Dictionary is on top #1! :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Plumps

Version 2017-01-07 is available in the first post for download.

For the major changes made, refer to the change log in the document, rutxe :)

wm.annis

Ma Plumps, ngari fìtìkangkem txantsan lu nìngay!

Plumps

Quote from: wm.annis on January 07, 2017, 11:51:48 AM
Ma Plumps, ngari fìtìkangkem txantsan lu nìngay!

Pum ngeyä, ma tsmukan!

I hope I do you justice – after all, I got the idea from you all those years ago ;)

Wllìm

Wou! Very impressive update, again! I cannot imagine the amount of work involved in this... :o

I should get into the habit of using this dictionary when I am looking up words... the examples make it much easier to see the intended range of meaning of a word.

I have a feature request that I almost do not dare asking because of the work involved, so I'll just write it tiny: how about integrating this into dict-navi.com? Okay, never mind ;)

Tìkangkemìri irayo nìtxan nìtxan ma 'eylan! :D

Plumps

Thank you, ma Wllìm. If it is useful to anyone the work has not been in vain ;)

As for your fine print ;D
What do you envision as 'integrate'? I think most of the stuff is already in there (even more so because it's another tool and platform)

dict-navi was always intended to have examples. I just haven't been that active in gathering them and handing them to Tukan. I was more concerned with the audio files being added. I don't know what more could be done ... :-\

Tìtstewan

Maybe he means an "online" version of your dictionary. :) (Which is techically possible but requires a lot of code hocuspocus)

Plumps

New version 170708 is out in the first post.

Latest blog posts are added and a few examples could be added to other words. For further information please consult the change log.

I have yet to finish the hyperlinks within the document – haven't come around to it yet. :-X :-[ but it'll come ;)