Any Wordpress gurus here?

Started by Mech, November 21, 2016, 06:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mech

I have neglected my Na'vi lessons blog but I decided to make an overhaul. For this I tried to see if i could design a central page with links to future "sections" and "chapters". I tried to study some Wrodpress tutorials for this but I couldn't make heads or tails, and I am not sure that what I am looking for can be done. So I thought asking for someone with Wordpress experience who could give me some guidance of what I can and can't do with Wordpress and design my blog accordingly. If anyone thinks they can help me, send me a p.m.

Oh of course I have a free Wordpress account, I am not sure how limited that is.

(I hope I am posting this in the right section)

Tirea Aean

Not sure if this should belong in /computer-science, but eh.

So, IIRC, you are talking about https://navilesson.wordpress.com/ which is a wordpress.com wordpress blog.
EDIT: DUH, your signature. :-[

I'm not sure if what you are talking about is possible on a standard wordpress.com blog. If it's nowhere to be found in any of the settings, it's probably not possible. I think it should be possible on a custom server-side install of wordpress software. A wordpress website.  Kind of like LearnNavi.org itself is. Tho for that you'd need a server to host the software on and a domain name or something.

Eana Unil

A blog directly an WordPress.com isn't that limited afaik, you can use all kinds of themes, but when it comes to plugins I'm not so sure. Would as well recommend your own webspace where you could use this cms on,  like LN or Tireas Na'vi lessons my web pages. It offers more options when it comes to customization.

Tìtstewan

One could download WP and install it on a localhost to create a theme one wish. After it is done, one could put it in a theme package for installing it on a wordpress.com page. I am not sure if that will work, though.
As already mentioned, for full editing power, one will need an own server or webspage for editing themes or various PHP code or creating an own website like Tirea did (which requires some knowledge about PHP, HTML and stuff).

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Mech

Thank you for any input guys. The trouble of creating a website, buying a domain and hosting server etc is totally out atm. For now the best solution seems to be making use of "Pages" rather than "Posts" (although I am not sure what are the differences in Wordpress, any ideas?) and format the About Page accordingly to create a content index of articles, as I make them.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Mech on November 25, 2016, 08:38:22 AM
Thank you for any input guys. The trouble of creating a website, buying a domain and hosting server etc is totally out atm.

Makes sense.  It's a good deal of trouble to get all that set up, not to mention it will likely cost money. o.o

QuoteFor now the best solution seems to be making use of "Pages" rather than "Posts" (although I am not sure what are the differences in Wordpress, any ideas?)

That's for when you click on said page, it shows content, but neither this page nor its content is listed on the blog post index (main page of the blog).

See LearnNavi.org website, a WordPress site. The main page, http://learnnavi.org/ itself is a Page called Home. This is just a single page that is not part of the blog. It contains very general content about what the website is, and some other pertinent information.  There is a tab bar. The following tabs lead to Pages: All of them except "News". As you'll notice, the News tab leads to a Blog Index page. A chronological listing of all blog post titles and their content. Clicking on a title in this list just shows the Post/Article. Hopefully, navigating around our website helps with the understanding of the difference between WordPress Pages/Posts.

Quoteand format the About Page accordingly to create a content index of articles, as I make them.

This is interesting. Why do this, when you could just continue to use a blog? The main page of a blog is either a landing "Home" Page (like learnnavi.org/ ), or a chronological Article Index that is automatically updated upon publishing. (like learnnavi.org/news or tireaaean.wordpress.com/ )