Kaltxì ma Prrnen! - Animal Learning Book

Started by Alyara Arati, April 09, 2012, 12:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tanri on July 29, 2014, 01:54:30 PM
What about nguwaysiyu?
I know that "nguway si" isn't confirmed, but I saw it already used few times and it fits perfectly into language, like other -siyu words we have (tsamsiyu, srungsiyu, pamrelsiyu).
Well, if I would not out on holiday, I'd propose this too.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Alyara Arati

:D  I heard from Karyu Pawl, he said he'd put this in the next Na'viteri post, but for those of you who are curious now:  :D

QuoteSo . . . nguway.

Good question. I now realize we have a noun meaning the viper wolf's cry or howl but not yet a verb meaning to howl! So let's see . . .

The idea behind nguway is that it's related to way 'song.' It's a "ngu" song. :-) Ngu is supposed to be onomatopoeic, mimicking the sound of a howl. So to carry the idea further, the nantang is singing a song when he's howling, which indicates that rol should be involved.

So I'm thinking that the verb 'howl' should be rol nguway, where nguway is acting adverbially: to sing in a nguway, or howling, way. I don't think it should be a transitive structure like *Nantangìl rol nguwayti but rather the intransitive Nantang rol nguway. Along those lines, nguway si would also be possible, and perhaps more expected, but I do like using rol here.

So then a "howler" would be a nguwayrolyu.

A further thought:

Saying rol nguway over to myself, it's pretty clear that the l of rol is unstable here and would drop over time. That would give ro nguway, which would coalesce into one word, the verb ronguway!

So howl is then:

ronguway (vin., ro.NGU.way--infixes 1,1) 'howl'

In that case, 'howler' would be

ronguwayyu (n., ro.NGU.way.yu) 'howler'

I think I like that better!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tìtstewan

Txantsan!
/language updates kop, kefyak? :D I knew that there would be a solution without that si-thing.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìtstewan on August 03, 2014, 02:43:31 AM
Txantsan!
/language updates kop, kefyak? :D I knew that there would be a solution without that si-thing.

And Official Dictionary thread? I'd post that quote there but I have respect and don't want to steal your thunder for this really cool find ma Alyara. :)

Alyara Arati

UPDATE: Kaltxì ma Prrnen will no longer be available on Adobe Workspaces, which is being discontinued entirely. :o  Therefore I will be uploading both the book, with corrections, and the audio which I just finished recording, onto Google. 8)  I will share that location with you as soon as I have completed this process. :D  I have a busy week, but I should have it up before this weekend. :)  Thank you for your patience and understanding. :-*
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Alyara Arati

Sorry for the double post, but the book is here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73OX3l7s9h3eGF1SnA3QnF4dFE/view?usp=sharing

The newly recorded audio version is here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73OX3l7s9h3cWJSeUd4dzhERkk/view?usp=sharing

You should be able to play both at once and listen as you read. :)
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Plumps

Quote from: Alyara Arati on January 05, 2015, 01:43:16 AM
UPDATE: Kaltxì ma Prrnen will no longer be available on Adobe Workspaces, which is being discontinued entirely. :o 
I also read that... Good that the file can be made available through other media.

Thanks for informing us! This beautiful work should not be forgotten :)

Blue Elf

How beautiful recording! Big applause for you, Alyara!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Alyara Arati

Thanks very, very much!  I wanted it to sound gentle, but still be correct.  It took a while to find that balance. ;)
~ Leonardo da Vinci