Lu yawn oer mikyun - I love the ear
0 (0%)
Lu yawn oer lora pam (/pam alor) - I love a beautiful sound
2 (28.6%)
Lu yawn oer ontu - I love the nose
0 (0%)
Lu yawn fahew - I love the smell
0 (0%)
Lu yawn oer frasyuve!! - I love every food!!
1 (14.3%)
Lu yawn oer sanhì - I love the stars
3 (42.9%)
Lu yawn oer sihiyìk - I love jokes
2 (28.6%)
Lu yawn oer hangham - I love to laugh
2 (28.6%)
Lu yawn unil si - (I) Love to dream
5 (71.4%)
Lu yawn aylì'fya - (I) love languages
2 (28.6%)
Lu yawn oer lora wll - (I) Love beautiful plants
1 (14.3%)
Lu yawn oer ioang - (I) Love the animal
2 (28.6%)
Lu yawn mipa eylan - (I) Love new friends
2 (28.6%)
Lu yawn oer keye'ung - (I) Love insanity
4 (57.1%)
Lu yawn(e) tul nìwin - (I) love to run fast
3 (42.9%)
Lu yawn(e) yom syuvet - (I) Love to eat food
1 (14.3%)
Lu yawn(e) kame oeyä eylan - (I) Love to see my friends
2 (28.6%)
Lu yawn(e) mipa aylì'fya - (I) Love new languages
2 (28.6%)
I love the mountains (need a word for mountains)
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Slimz

I love this project
i love you avatards
i'd love to film it
in my own back yard
I love learnnavi
its full of awesome fans
boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada

I love our team speak
i love all night skype chat
i love I R C
what do you think of that
i love learnnavi
because we all fit in

I love the language
i love ejected P's
i love to roll my R's
more Prrkxentrrkrr please
I love my txepay (thats txep pay aka fire water :))
thats  how i wrote this song

pbhead

Found another boom-de-ah-da song parady. halo fans will like this... others wont get it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/519824

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Rain on April 10, 2010, 12:27:39 AM
Idea #1: We all videotape ourselves singing either the whole original song or part of a song then somebody cobbles it together. All of us painted blue, of course!
Idea#2: We all work on lyrics and then once the final version comes out, attempt Idea #1 with the new lyrics.

Now when is somebody gonna do this with clips from AVATAR?

1) Well, the idea here is two fold, create our own version of the lyrics mostly for the simple reason that the original lyrics, when put into Na'vi, won't rhyme but also because we want to show off the community and wrote copying won't really do that as well. (plus, it would be hard to get visuals of things in the original ad)

2) Yes, this is likely how it will work. Blue paint will be optional of course.

As for avatar clips that wont happen. One for the copyright reasons (though it may be fair use) the other for the fact that we want to exemplify the community rather than movie.

Quote from: Slimz on April 10, 2010, 12:59:00 AM
I love this project
i love you avatards
i'd love to film it
in my own back yard
I love learnnavi
its full of awesome fans

I love our team speak
i love all night skype chat
i love I R C
what do you think of that
i love learnnavi
because we all fit in

I love the language
i love ejected P's
i love to roll my R's
more Prrkxentrrkrr please
I love my txepay (thats txep pay aka fire water :))
thats  how i wrote this song

lol, I love it. Unfortunately I see right off that some of the words we don't have and obviously the rhymes won't work but I think there's a lot of hilarious ideas here.

I'en Olo'eyktan

You actually want a viola part?? I swear only 50% of the worlds population even knows what a viola is... Not sure how I'll record it, but I have played my viola for 7 years know. If you need some guitar work I could do that to haha

Ftiafpi

Quote from: I'en Olo'eyktan on April 11, 2010, 02:52:48 AM
You actually want a viola part?? I swear only 50% of the worlds population even knows what a viola is... Not sure how I'll record it, but I have played my viola for 7 years know. If you need some guitar work I could do that to haha

Who doesn't know what a viola is? I thought everyone knew that.

MJTF

Unless your thinking of the Violin, very few people have even heard of a Viola, nevermind know what one actually is. As a Viola player it's great as I'm always wanted by orchestras etc, but always annoying how many people don't know of it.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: MJTF on April 12, 2010, 12:43:47 AM
Unless your thinking of the Violin, very few people have even heard of a Viola, nevermind know what one actually is. As a Viola player it's great as I'm always wanted by orchestras etc, but always annoying how many people don't know of it.

I've known the differences between a viola and a violin since I was 14 or something.

Anyway, back on topic.

Ftiafpi

So, I'd like to get a few sample lines/ideas submitted by Friday from anyone interested in contributing. If nobody comes up with anything then I'll just go with whatever I come up with (which works for me).

Rain

Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 13, 2010, 05:15:13 PM
So, I'd like to get a few sample lines/ideas submitted by Friday from anyone interested in contributing. If nobody comes up with anything then I'll just go with whatever I come up with (which works for me).

How about many members come up with lyrics and we vote on those we like the best?
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Rain on April 13, 2010, 05:46:18 PM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 13, 2010, 05:15:13 PM

How about many members come up with lyrics and we vote on those we like the best?

Well, that is the idea (see 2nd post in this topic) but I wanted to have a smattering of a few lines from each interested person that we would all vote on at the end of this week to decide the overall direction we wanted this song to go.

Rain

Tewti! More than happy to help out.

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Mithcoriel

Ooh, neat idea ^^
I'd love to help sing (I'm good at that), but I don't really wanna show my face. :( Can we also film clips without us in it, e.g. cause we're filming whatever the lyrics are talking about? Otherwise I guess I'll have to be in the choir if that's the only way around it. Although if a Na'vi disguise can disguise me well enough I'll think about it..but that's for later anyway.

Anyway, why are you guys talking about recording it on real instruments? Isn't it sort of easier with a digital music program? ^^ Well I have a program called Magix Music, although I haven't used it that often, and I'm not all that knowledgeable of musical stuff. But if needed I could see if I can use it. Anyone have something like that? Garageband or whatnot?

Hm, lyrics...

Lu yawn(e) oer menari (or Lu yawn oer nari. Show 1 or 2 eyes accordingly)
[show something beautiful like a gemstone that we can enjoy with out eyes. Maybe a pair of eyes half-transparent over it? ]
Lu yawn oer mikyun  / Lu yawn oer lora pam (/pam alor) [can we add auditive enhancements to the music here? A beautiful instrument that's not featured in the rest, like a panflute, chiming in? Or else maybe an echo? Otherwise someone can film a bunch of instruments or whatever]
Lu yawn oer ontu / / Lu yawn fahew [pics of flowers and stuff that smells good.]
Lu yawn oer fraSiyom!! [fooood. And this line must be sung lustingly.]

Ah, damn, that doesn't rhyme. Well anyway I was gonna ask: are you sure we wanna make it rhyme? Seems Na'vi don't really care about rhyming. They don't rhyme their weaving and hunting songs. Just a thought. Not requiring rhymes would free up our creativity and potential more.

Since you showed replies: I also like this version: Boom De Ya Da! - Hi-Def version

(Come to think of it: that guy did his own rhyming scheme too. He sometimes had the first and third line not rhyme, just the second and fourth.)

Some more ideas..
Lu yawn oer sanhì
Lu yawn oer sihiyìk  or Lu yawn oer hangham (But hangham doesn't sound as nice)
Lu yawn unil si
Lu yawn aylì'fya

One problem we have is the plural is required for a lot of these ("I love Xs"), which, while in English it's only a S, takes up an extra syllable in Na'vi sometimes. This made me wonder: can we use the singular for stuff you'd use the plural for in english? I mean, who knows, maybe this would be the normal way Na'vi say it. After all, when you say "I love X", you're not specifically emphasizing that you only like it if it's more than one, but just loving it as an entity in general. I made use of that in the below examples.

Lu yawn oer lora wll
Lu yawn oer ioang
Lu yawn si/run eylan

(Can't find a rhyme for wll, but I'm wondering if we could be liberal and also allow -il or something.
Well, anyway, the "ioang" is easier. It rhymes with "nang", which is convenient cause you can attach that to most any sentence. And it rhymes with the "kxangangang" you're fond of.)

Lu yawn oer keye'ung (that would kinda fit near the kxangangang)

Some ideas to shorten lines and make more space for what we love:
Instead of starting each line with "Lu yawne oer", we could also go "Lu yawn oer XXX" and then the next like "sì XXX" ? In fact, even the line after that.
In fact, why keep so close to the original lyrics at all? Why not start each line with "I live for" or the like? (hey, don't we have a word for "for"?) Or "prrte' lu X" = "X is a pleasure" ? Or something else I haven't thought of, as long as it's short.

And I very much doubt we'll be in the next Discovery Video :P We sing in a foreign language. And Na'vi-painted people are too specifically focused on one movie, why should they put that in?

Oh yeah, and before we record this, you or someone who's good at pronunciation should sing the whole song onto a recording just so we can be sure we know how to pronounce it when we sing it.

So what's the "I love the whole world" line that all verses have in common gonna be like? "Lu yawn oer wotx kifkey"? (got wotx from nìwotx=completely, so wotx should mean complete)
Oh yeah, I forgot the line after that, which can vary ("In all its crazyness" or "It's such a brilliant place" or what have you) Lemme try some..
Nìkeye'ung yawne (addition to "the world is beloved" in the previous line)
a tseng oe reiey
a tseng oe kelku si
Kifkey kelku leiu / Siltsana kelku lu
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Rain

This is great, I'm singing these lines already!

I think we should do a short intro telling people that we're Learn Na'vi and that Na'vi is a fictional language, and that we should have subtitles.

And finally I think as long as we stay within the tune and syllable boundaries, they'll get it. ;D

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Rain on April 14, 2010, 02:09:02 PM
This is great, I'm singing these lines already!

I think we should do a short intro telling people that we're Learn Na'vi and that Na'vi is a fictional language, and that we should have subtitles.

And finally I think as long as we stay within the tune and syllable boundaries, they'll get it. ;D

I like the lines too.

A short outro will be provided referencing learnnavi.org as well as the language, the movie, fox, Frommer, etc. and credits/bloopers. Subtitles will, of course. be provided for English and any other languages people volunteer to translate it into.

I agree with the final line as well, as long as we don't stray too far from the original I believe that we can have some creative flexibility. Plus, I would be happier if ours was a little different so as to keep it unique.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Mithcoriel on April 14, 2010, 01:24:34 PM
Ooh, neat idea ^^
I'd love to help sing (I'm good at that), but I don't really wanna show my face. :( Can we also film clips without us in it, e.g. cause we're filming whatever the lyrics are talking about? Otherwise I guess I'll have to be in the choir if that's the only way around it. Although if a Na'vi disguise can disguise me well enough I'll think about it..but that's for later anyway.
I'd love to have you sing. If you don't want to show your face then we could do something like a far off shot, a mask, or have you in some other situation where you can't see your face, perhaps in a crowd or with your back turned (like driving a car, looking out a window, etc.).

Anyway, why are you guys talking about recording it on real instruments? Isn't it sort of easier with a digital music program? ^^ Well I have a program called Magix Music, although I haven't used it that often, and I'm not all that knowledgeable of musical stuff. But if needed I could see if I can use it. Anyone have something like that? Garageband or whatnot?
It all depends on what's easiest while still having a balance of musical quality. If it becomes easier to do a garageband music track and it sounds good then that's what we'll do. However, if people are willing and we are able to record it well then I would think that a live recording would be much more interesting and preferable. We'll see though.

Hm, lyrics...

Lu yawn(e) oer menari (or Lu yawn oer nari. Show 1 or 2 eyes accordingly)
[show something beautiful like a gemstone that we can enjoy with out eyes. Maybe a pair of eyes half-transparent over it? ]
Lu yawn oer mikyun  / Lu yawn oer lora pam (/pam alor) [can we add auditive enhancements to the music here? A beautiful instrument that's not featured in the rest, like a panflute, chiming in? Or else maybe an echo? Otherwise someone can film a bunch of instruments or whatever]
Lu yawn oer ontu / / Lu yawn fahew [pics of flowers and stuff that smells good.]
Lu yawn oer fraSiyom!! [fooood. And this line must be sung lustingly.]
Yes, everything will hopefully have it's own track so I can mix down/up various parts and hopefully add/emphasize things. I like these lines.

Ah, damn, that doesn't rhyme. Well anyway I was gonna ask: are you sure we wanna make it rhyme? Seems Na'vi don't really care about rhyming. They don't rhyme their weaving and hunting songs. Just a thought. Not requiring rhymes would free up our creativity and potential more.
Yes, I want it to rhyme. I think rhyming is a big part of the song and want to keep it. Also, I think that Na'vi doesn't necessarily need rhyming but, like other songs/poems, it all depends on the song/poem you're trying to make. I agree it provides a HUGE constraint but I wish to keep it and I think most people would agree with this. That said, I'm totally open to new rhyming schemes (which is the point of coming up with these sample lines, to determine things like rhyming schemes).

Some more ideas..
Lu yawn oer sanhì
Lu yawn oer sihiyìk  or Lu yawn oer hangham (But hangham doesn't sound as nice)
Lu yawn unil si
Lu yawn aylì'fya
I love the first and last lines.

One problem we have is the plural is required for a lot of these ("I love Xs"), which, while in English it's only a S, takes up an extra syllable in Na'vi sometimes. This made me wonder: can we use the singular for stuff you'd use the plural for in english? I mean, who knows, maybe this would be the normal way Na'vi say it. After all, when you say "I love X", you're not specifically emphasizing that you only like it if it's more than one, but just loving it as an entity in general. I made use of that in the below examples.
Well, as Frommer has stated, Na'vi is about 30% more "wordy" than English, so this will be a problem. Wither we address this with a faster speaking tempo, with longer lines than the original, or some other means I don't know, we'll have to figure that out. I'm thinking though that this will be one of the challenges. As for the singular vs. the plural I fell that this should be a case-by-case decision. However, I feel that many plurals in English can probably be singular in Na'vi. Though, much of the song is about loving every thing on Earth. This also brings up that perhaps there should be a lot of "every" rather than just plurals. In any case, I'd like to see what people come up with and we'll use that to decide how many plurals we want to use.

Lu yawn oer lora wll
Lu yawn oer ioang
Lu yawn si/run eylan

(Can't find a rhyme for wll, but I'm wondering if we could be liberal and also allow -il or something.
Well, anyway, the "ioang" is easier. It rhymes with "nang", which is convenient cause you can attach that to most any sentence. And it rhymes with the "kxangangang" you're fond of.)

Lu yawn oer keye'ung (that would kinda fit near the kxangangang)
Yeah, I think we can stretch the rhyming to things like -ll/-il/-ìl or what not. I also like the -ng words, they seem to rhyme easier.

Some ideas to shorten lines and make more space for what we love:
Instead of starting each line with "Lu yawne oer", we could also go "Lu yawn oer XXX" and then the next like "sì XXX" ? In fact, even the line after that.
In fact, why keep so close to the original lyrics at all? Why not start each line with "I live for" or the like? (hey, don't we have a word for "for"?) Or "prrte' lu X" = "X is a pleasure" ? Or something else I haven't thought of, as long as it's short.
I was also thinking a lot about the sì construction. I personally was thinking we should have 0 to 1 "sì" line per stanza with possibly only 2 (or so) in the whole song.

And I very much doubt we'll be in the next Discovery Video :P We sing in a foreign language. And Na'vi-painted people are too specifically focused on one movie, why should they put that in?
I don't think the foreign language will be that big of an issue but I agree that the blue man group impressions could. For this reason I would strongly suggest (but wouldn't be opposed to) any blue face paint. For the two reasons that it may hurt our credibility by focusing too much on the movie and less on the meaning of the song as well as detract from our purpose with the song of showing what we're doing outside of the movie with the language, the community, etc. If I was the only person making this movie, I would have one scene with someone dressed as a Na'vi (or perhaps even CGI'd as a Na'vi). However, since I am not, and do not want that control, I think we should leave this decision up to round table discussion when it comes to that point in the making of this.

Oh yeah, and before we record this, you or someone who's good at pronunciation should sing the whole song onto a recording just so we can be sure we know how to pronounce it when we sing it.
Totally. On that note, I'm totally going to invite Frommer to help out with it (in any way), if he would so desire, at some point in the near future. Who knows, this might be something he could do for us.

So what's the "I love the whole world" line that all verses have in common gonna be like? "Lu yawn oer wotx kifkey"? (got wotx from nìwotx=completely, so wotx should mean complete)
Oh yeah, I forgot the line after that, which can vary ("In all its crazyness" or "It's such a brilliant place" or what have you) Lemme try some..
Nìkeye'ung yawne (addition to "the world is beloved" in the previous line)
a tseng oe reiey
a tseng oe kelku si
Kifkey kelku leiu / Siltsana kelku lu
This is probably the biggest thing we'll have to decide and this is totally going to be something I'd like everyone to contribute to as much as possible in this initial stage. I want to have this line nailed down right away since it will likely determine the ending stanza as well as the overall theme of the song. Note that we don't necessarily have to do "I love the whole world" we could do some different theme (but I personally like the original one best).

P.S. Not sure if we can use wotx like that, pretty sure we can't though.

Rain

Lu yawne si/run eylan = Lu yawne s<iv>i eylan
Fits the syllabic parameters better, methinks. If I'm wrong, sowwy.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Rain on April 14, 2010, 10:16:26 PM

I like this one! It fits the community perfectly and has a really good meaning. Not sure how well eylan will easily rhyme but we'll see where/what we can do with this. As for syllables I think it works pretty well.

ShadowMainZERO

If I can get/learn it by the deadline then you could add an ocerina to the list of instraments.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

omängum fra'uti

And what exactly does "eylan si" mean?  The line also isn't entirely grammatical, with two verbs together and no conjunction between. That only works in some cases, and it is not clear that this is one of those cases.  Perhaps just "eylan amip"?
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Ftiafpi

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on April 14, 2010, 11:39:59 PM
And what exactly does "eylan si" mean?  The line also isn't entirely grammatical, with two verbs together and no conjunction between. That only works in some cases, and it is not clear that this is one of those cases.  Perhaps just "eylan amip"?

Hmmm, I didn't catch it but I think I understand why "making friends" wouldn't translate to something with "si eylan" and "eylan amip" seems a good solution to this.