Nìnko! Na'vi! is online! (well, mostly)

Started by Seyvaro, March 03, 2010, 11:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seyvaro

I've finished writing chapter 1 of Nìnko! Na'vi! and recording the pronunciation of words, I just need to put everything online. You can find the mostly finished chapter of the textbook already up on my website http://simonorrstudio.com.

For the direct link to the textbook, go to http://aryaboudaie.info/simonorrstudio/navi
For the direct link to the pronunciation, go to http://aryaboudaie.info/simonorrstudio/vocabpronounced

Does anybody think that I should also make the chapters available for download as PDFs?

Eyaye Tskxe

I'm seeing a few errors in your book... Under "Pronunciation", you don't have rr listed as a vowel. You also have the pronunciation of i and ì mixed up.

Also, for an explanation of a glottal stop, I'd use "Uh-oh", and mention that the glottal stop in that is the dash. That way it is clearer and we don't have to go searching for a song to hear it.

So maybe some more work before a transfer to pdfs. I might have missed some errors, or be wrong myself, however.

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

"Uh-oh" so THAT'S a glottal stop! Irayo! :)

Quote from: Eyaye Tskxe on March 04, 2010, 01:24:04 AM
I'm seeing a few errors in your book... Under "Pronunciation", you don't have rr listed as a vowel. You also have the pronunciation of i and ì mixed up.

Also, for an explanation of a glottal stop, I'd use "Uh-oh", and mention that the glottal stop in that is the dash. That way it is clearer and we don't have to go searching for a song to hear it.

So maybe some more work before a transfer to pdfs. I might have missed some errors, or be wrong myself, however.
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Tseyk Tìriuä

Oh one more thing (discreet but important) a few of your consonants are aspirated and the Na'vi do not aspirate.  For instance when we say "took" a lot of air is pushed out.  In Na'vi as little air as possible should be pushed out when saying "t".  Hope this helps! Eywa ngahu

Tengkrr tìsngä'i Yawäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawä'evangäti ngamop.

Seyvaro

I didn't think that rr is a vowel, as the Learn Na'vi site doesn't list it as one. Irayo for catching the pronunciation errors. I'll also change the explanation of glottal stops to "uh-oh". I'll take the pronunciations offline until such time as I can rerecord and fix the audio.

Irayo,
Seyvaro

Seyvaro

Does anybody actually like my resources, inaccuracies aside? (I changed the glottal stop explanation, Eyaye Tskxe, irayo.)

-Seyvaro

Eyaye Tskxe

Hm... If it's not "officially" a vowel, then you may want to at least note that it acts like one. For example, in Krr, and 'Rrta, rr is used as a vowel would be.

Grammar aside, I really do like the layout a lot. Separated into nice sections, and very tidy.

Tseyk Tìriuä

Rr and Ll are what's called "Pseudovowels" aka they act as vowels no consonants (I.E. prrkxentrrkrr)

Tengkrr tìsngä'i Yawäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawä'evangäti ngamop.

Seyvaro

I'll add the bit about them being pseudovowels. The whole textbook will probably be finished by August of this year. For now, I have a lot of schoolwork to catch up on.

Seyvaro

As I don't have time to write all of it, I'd appreciate it if some people would take it upon themselves to write stories or culture sections for the chapters. If anybody's interested, I can provide a list of vocabulary that I'd prefer you use.