Casual Speakers...CLICK HERE!

Started by Eana Ketuwong, April 22, 2011, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eana Ketuwong

Kaltxì! I have this website called http://teamnavi.forumcircle.com. It's all about the Na'vi culture; and I have a section called "Speaking Na'vi: Speak it Like the Natives!" I speak very formally, and I need some help with those who aren't so formal. If you would like to help out, please say so. (Message me.) Irayo!
Tumbling hard until 3 AM on a Wednesday night

'Oma Tirea

I got your PMs.  Tse... I'd be willing to help out a little, knowing how I try to loosen the language a little myself :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Eana Ketuwong

Quote from: Inspirata on April 22, 2011, 10:49:58 PM
I got your PMs.  Tse... I'd be willing to help out a little, knowing how I try to loosen the language a little myself :)

(Hehe, I only messaged you once...it was Txur Tirea and Avatard that were being weirdos about it...) :) Irayo for helping out!

Plumps

Sre fwa sar lì'fyat nìfya'o letrrtrr, sweylu txo tsulfä sivi fko tsaru nì'awve...  :-\

Eana Ketuwong

Quote from: Plumps on April 23, 2011, 01:09:51 PM
Sre fwa sar lì'fyat nìfya'o letrrtrr, sweylu txo tsulfä sivi fko tsaru nì'awve...  :-\
If I have translated correctly...then I already know Na'vi, still suck at grammar, but I speak formally. Not sure if I completely understand...still a little slow when I translate Na'vi to English. So yes, I should do it myself and master the language, instead of reaching out and asking people to use their time to  help me.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Plumps on April 23, 2011, 01:09:51 PM
Sre fwa sar lì'fyat nìfya'o letrrtrr, sweylu txo tsulfä sivi fko tsaru nì'awve...  :-\

Ma Plumps when learning any language, it is taught formally to begin with.  You'll get to know such a language more colloquially by developing a feel for it (speaking it frequently, for example).

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Plumps

Quote from: Ean Kewong on April 24, 2011, 07:53:53 PM
If I have translated correctly...then I already know Na'vi, still suck at grammar, but I speak formally. Not sure if I completely understand...still a little slow when I translate Na'vi to English. So yes, I should do it myself and master the language, instead of reaching out and asking people to use their time to  help me.

That's not what I meant, ma Ean Kewong ;)
It's never wrong to ask for people's help with a project escpecially with a community as helpful as this one is :D

Quote from: Inspirata on April 24, 2011, 11:33:53 PM
Ma Plumps when learning any language, it is taught formally to begin with.  You'll get to know such a language more colloquially by developing a feel for it (speaking it frequently, for example).

Agreed.
But how can one develop a feel for the language ... with no native speakers around? ???

If we go about it just from the premise that we 'just' speak it and observe our tendencies ... then there would be a lot of {-æ} dropping with English speakers, a lot of {ng-} instead of {ŋ}, a lot of softening of the ejectives with all those who have problems with it etc. etc. and that is just pronunciation.
Who knows what the Na'vi can leave out of a sentence in context and daily/casual speech...

I'm just saying, before we try to change the language we have into something casual we should develop the language we have (which is not concise) and master it first. There are enough beginners who have problems remembering every aplicable rule (to make it 'High Na'vi' if you will) as it is. Forcing into casuality would only confuse everyone

:-\ Just my 2¢

Eana Ketuwong

Huh. True that. HAH! I DO suck at translating!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Plumps on April 25, 2011, 03:08:37 AM
If we go about it just from the premise that we 'just' speak it and observe our tendencies ... then there would be a lot of {-æ} dropping with English speakers, a lot of {ng-} instead of {ŋ}, a lot of softening of the ejectives with all those who have problems with it etc. etc. and that is just pronunciation.

There's a lot more that that for pronounciation, that I've seen even the mighty speakers implement as well (which worries me much).  The problem is that sometimes we may try hard, but we still speak the language somewhat in the tongue of our mother language, whatever that is.  It has driven me OVER THE EDGE >:(

The truth: pronounciation of a language is more meaningful than most people think.  If it is not properly studied, problems such as homophones may arise!  In addition, if you have not studied and worked on pronounciation enough, or have worked on it incorrectly, you will be easily labeled as a non-native speaker of that language.  You don't want that, and especially not for Na'vi, that language you have come to love.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Plumps

True.

Thank you for this detailed listing, ma Inspirata.

To be honest, I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand I am somewhat of a 'language purist' (of the present state :P ) and I think we all who are learning and try to not only write but use it as means of communication try to master pronunciation because, as you said it is very important. On the other hand I see these (at least partly) as a natural language development—everybody who has a rudimentary knwoledge of languages knows that they are subject to change and that too is part of a 'natural' language.

But a good pronunciation is key to easy understanding. That's why I think it's important to have as many audio examples as possible.

Ma Inspirata, does your mic work by now? I would love to have samples of words/sounds from a phonetic-expert :) Symbols and IPA representations are fine and all but also, for beginners it might be difficult to know which sounds are meant. I for example, thought until recently that the /ɛ/ (although I pronounced it after the model of Frommer's kem, len, 'efu etc.) was something different and explained it to people as such ... we are all not protected against errors :)

omängum fra'uti

This is starting to wander a bit off topic from the original thread, but I completely agree having more spoken samples is important (And having peer reviewed spoken examples as well).  Even without a mic, someone well versed in phonetics can be very useful in reviewing pronunciation, if they have a good understanding of Na'vi phonetics.

Perhaps start a new thread about pronunciation and possible projects related to that?

If we do want to develop a casual guide to spoken Na'vi (And I agree with others that it's important to learn more formal first) it's probably best to coordinate with Frommer.  He already has some things in mind and I'm sure could give guidance.  Pronunciation of Na'vi sounds, though, is not one I see being too variant in informal speech, at least not for the reasons of helping non-native speakers.  Yes, natural languages evolve in their sounds, but from the native speakers changing how they say words, NOT for the sake of making it easier for non-native speakers.  Besides, doing so would potentially only make it easier for ONE type of non-native speaker.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on April 26, 2011, 12:50:12 PM
Perhaps start a new thread about pronunciation and possible projects related to that?

Hm... maybe split off the thread and put it into here? here? here? Somewhere else?

Just a thought :)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

omängum fra'uti

Not all threads need to be split.  There was some relevance to the topic at hand and it wasn't many posts, nor was there anything really worthy of its own thread yet.  But it's a good idea if someone wishes to take the reins.  However, meta-discussions about how to deal with a thread are certainly not the topic at hand here.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!