Computer-assisted homonym hunt

Started by Txonpay, April 12, 2024, 12:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Txonpay

I was just informed that key cannot take -r as a dative case ending, so I crossed out heyr and updated the counts accordingly :)
Cuddling my ilu

Txonpay

Changelog 2024-04-23:
  • Crossed out heyr (cannot take -r as a dative)
  • Crossed out merìn (rìn is not countable)
  • Crossed out snayoeo (sna- does not apply to people)
  • Moved certain words to reef Na'vi:
    • Tsamengawng
    • Mengam
    • Zengo
    • Senga ([+tsenga] and [+tenga] still count, so [s<eng>a] is moved to the footnote instead)
Now the list is down to 198, but that's still a lot! :D
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Toliman

Quote from: Txonpay on April 23, 2024, 08:03:36 PMNow the list is down to 198, but that's still a lot! :D
Yeah ;D  :D

Txonpay

Changelog 2024-04-24:
  • Made a section for rejected words
  • Removed more words (and updated counts):
    • Payit (can only mean "which little bits" since the patientive of water is payti)
    • Pxoeo (-o can't really go on determinate pronouns)
    • SmarmawSyalmawTxalmaw (-maw can only apply to units of time)
    • Syeykam (-am are the same, but at least it's entertaining ;D )
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

The changes made their way to Vawmataw's lexicon document v1.1.0! 8)

Now we'd probably need new words before we get more homonyms :)
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

After all the new additions to the lexicon settled, here's how much each section grown:
8) 8) 8)
Homographs:5.6x exactly(5 + 28 = 33)
Homnyms:2.29x(28 + 36 = 64)
Total:2.94x(33 + 64 = 97)
Cuddling my ilu

Txonpay

Changelog: :)
  • Corrected pil to "facial stripe"
  • Added tsayemyu
  • Added seyr to the rejects
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

I also added sun and to the homonyms.

Since modifying Stage 2 to accept lenited forms of words, I found a few more.  I won't add ones that lenite adpositions or conjunctions.  Not sure how that would work (the existing ones are grandfathered in).  While pey already has definitions as "wait" and "three (lenited)", could it also be "his/her/their (singular)" and short for peyä? :-\
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Hmm, peyä x pey like as oeyä x oey, interesting idea :)

Toliman

Quote from: Txonpay on April 27, 2024, 12:40:16 AMAfter all the new additions to the lexicon settled, here's how much each section grown:
8) 8) 8)
Homographs:5.6x exactly(5 + 28 = 33)
Homnyms:2.29x(28 + 36 = 64)
Total:2.94x(33 + 64 = 97)

Yeah, it grown a lot ;D  :D

Vawmataw

Quote from: Txonpay on April 27, 2024, 03:32:30 AMI also added sun and to the homonyms.

Since modifying Stage 2 to accept lenited forms of words, I found a few more.  I won't add ones that lenite adpositions or conjunctions.  Not sure how that would work (the existing ones are grandfathered in).  While pey already has definitions as "wait" and "three (lenited)", could it also be "his/her/their (singular)" and short for peyä? :-\
yes pey would be accepted as a colloquial form of peyä (just like ngey and oey)

Quote3.2.1.7. In informal and clipped military speech the final ä may drop from the genitive of pronouns, ngey 'upxaret.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Txonpay

I updated the first post with the additional definitions for pey and sun :)

Also, one thing I realized is if the there is a common affix on both meanings of a homonym, there are likely more homonyms with the same root words.  Normally, my program filters out homonyms with the same root words to prevent the possible match list growing exponentially larger than it has to be.  For example, tsukkara (both meanings have tsuk-, verb to adjective) led to ketsukkara, kusara and kawnara.  Also tsayemtswo (both meanings having -tswo, verb to noun) leading to tsayemyu. :)
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txantsan :) Yeah, you are right :)

Txonpay

I had an idea.  I could move things to the rejected pile that either use lenition on an adposition or a conjunction (with exceptions for noun-based conjunctions like tsenga).  I don't see things like that accepting lenited forms.  Do you? :-\
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Maybe it's a good idea  :)