How about a real Na'vi keyboard

Started by Tseyk Tìriuä, January 24, 2010, 12:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tseyk Tìriuä

Yeah I'm sorry :( if it doesn't get downloaded enough in a certain lapse of time I think they remove it

Tengkrr tìsngä'i Yawäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawä'evangäti ngamop.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Hey! Smart people! Can we finish this project and send one to Frommer and one to JC (for Avatar 2 of course)?
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

KxanìaTaronyu

Hm, downloaded it... What exactly does it do?
"Oel kameie ayngati. Irayo ayngaru ulte Eywa ngahu. 'Ivong Na'vi aysmukan sì aysmuke. Aynga lu Eywayä ayeylan ulte aynga lu yawne oer. Kìyevame!" 

Numeyu

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 25, 2010, 12:25:16 PM
Hey! Smart people! Can we finish this project and send one to Frommer and one to JC (for Avatar 2 of course)?

I'd love to help!  Would we just be modifying an existing keyboard with Na'vi letters?  If so, I can go look for some comfy and useful keyboards this weekend and report back with my findings.  *loves to shop for computer accessories as often as possible* XD

What kind of keyboard would b desired?  Wired/wireless/bluetooth?  Any preferred color scheme?
Kaltxì frapo!  Oel Na'viti nerumeie.  Oeyä Na'vi kesìltsan längu slä fratrr fteria.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

We can remove keys like c, d, z, 8, 9, 0, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12, and other useless characters, and replace them with Na'vi characters (ä, ì) and double consonants.

oooh... what about a bluetooth wireless in black. I will chip in to have for it to have the RDA printed on it ;)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Col Quaritch

Quote from: HTML_Earth on March 03, 2010, 02:47:37 PM
I know it wouldn't actually be useful for anything else, but what the heck, I made a mock-up of it in Photoshop:

You honestly should get some cheap keyboards and make these you make a mint selling these things at con's along with the software.

Na'vi Kxanìa Taronyu

I can say more like that Frommer would start annoying his colleagues by sending them several messages in Na'vi.  At least he wouldn't have to worry about switching languages just to send us a message.  ;)
I am a Video Producer, Webpage Designer, Na'Vi enthusiast, BMW fanatic, and a Mac OS X Server Certified Server Administrator.

I am The People's Forbidden Hunter
Oel ngati kameie!

I don't know where to turn, as my future is clouded.  The future is a haze, as my path is unclear.  Will my loyalty stick with my Terran race, or will it stick with the Na'vi?

Taronyu

Suggestions:

Esc: hum
Caps Lock: Nìtxan Syep
Ctrl: Eyk
Alt: Lahe
Power: Tìtxur
Sleep: Hahaw
Wake up: Txen si
print: puk si
scroll lock: Rikx-Syep
pause: ftang
num lock: hol ftang
insert: kxam
page up: io
page down: äo
delete: ska'a
end: 'i'a
Alt gr: Lahe
ins: kxam
windows: Eywa

Maybe? Good idea. Too bad I have a laptop. I would suggest making NG a ŋ. But it looks good.

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Taronyu on March 28, 2010, 07:28:08 PM
windows: Eywa
My brothers linux based netbook has a house symbol instead of the windows logo. so Kelku or a Hometree symbol might also be a good choice

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Keep in mind that a line-splitter is a 25 cent piece of plastic and wire (that strangely retails for about $5 to $8). It is easy and economical to have both this and a standard keyboard plugged in simultaneously, with a toggling app. I would be a bit careful screwing around with the Page Up and Dwn functions, but Prnt Scrn has been useless since the 70's, and any number above 7 (and the F8,9,10...) keys are also available for expansion. An x key is desirable (rather than having none at all) but should be "out of the way" and the z is of course completely useless.

I would put the x key where the * key is now, in case of word/alphabet expansion by Prof Frommer (gives him some leeway), and move the * key above one of the #'s. Mine is above the 8 anyway; and Scroll Lock: That is another antique. Let's get some brain power on this.

We can make this happen.

'eylan na'viyä

why no z ?

And a question about the numbers: should they print digits or words? if words, then we also need the possibility to print the short forms or add some kind of automatic numbermode

KxanìaTaronyu

This seems like a good idea.... I could start <TRYING> to code the software. but I need to know a couple things:

1. Mac, Linux or Win??
2.What kind of keyboard. (They vary with the return/enter and other keys.)
"Oel kameie ayngati. Irayo ayngaru ulte Eywa ngahu. 'Ivong Na'vi aysmukan sì aysmuke. Aynga lu Eywayä ayeylan ulte aynga lu yawne oer. Kìyevame!" 

'eylan na'viyä

maybe the ì should be where the q was and the rest 1 key to the right so that the keyboard is a bit more like the original qwerty.
If the keyarrangement is to different (and requires too much relearning) anyway we might also consider using a completey different layout that is more effective.
There is much space for optimization http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/

Dea M Smith

okay so i tired to do this and it seems like it dont work. can you put some light on it?

kllpxìltu

Print Screen isn't useless, I use it often...

'eylan na'viyä

when you are thinking about which keys from an original keyboard could be removed also consider this thread:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/intermediate/navi-2-alphanumeric
or add a key to switch between 2 modes