Some observations on Na'vi poetry

Started by wm.annis, January 10, 2010, 03:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

Kiliyä

Quote from: wm.annis on January 12, 2010, 08:41:25 PMThere are already many documents about infixes.  What would you hope for out of another one?
The same sense of humour?  ;D  Nothing particularly factual... Taronyu's doc sits open on my desktop, along with dictionary and the Pocket Guide.
Peu sa'nokyä ayoengyä?  Pefya ayoeng poeru kìte'e sayi?
Pefya ayoengìl poeti hayawnu, na poel ayoengit hawnu?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

wm.annis

Quote from: Taronyu on January 13, 2010, 05:00:28 AMI could also edit my document on Infixes, by the way.

Um.  Should I take that as a hint?  ;)

What style are you using for the centered section headings?

Quote from: Kiliyä on January 13, 2010, 07:28:08 AM
The same sense of humour?  ;D  Nothing particularly factual... Taronyu's doc sits open on my desktop, along with dictionary and the Pocket Guide.

Yesterday it occurred to me to write a cranky monograph, All About -iv-.  But if I write anything else continuing the cranky xenolinguist conceit, I'd want the facts on Na'vi to be correct as far as possible, regardless of any fun I have at the expense of contemporary linguistics.

Kiliyä

Fair enough.  I will wait with dative breath.
Peu sa'nokyä ayoengyä?  Pefya ayoeng poeru kìte'e sayi?
Pefya ayoengìl poeti hayawnu, na poel ayoengit hawnu?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

Taronyu

I use amsart for everything.

I was going to rewrite my grammar, when it's done, william et omnia, in the style of william's post (indeed, after him). Meaning that my simplified grammar will be written as if to help earthlings understand Na'vi, to fight the RDA. 

I'm just saying, if anything I have isn't adequate, I can adjust it.

wm.annis

Quote from: Taronyu on January 13, 2010, 09:13:42 AMI was going to rewrite my grammar, when it's done, william et omnia, in the style of william's post (indeed, after him). Meaning that my simplified grammar will be written as if to help earthlings understand Na'vi, to fight the RDA. 

You should write it in the style of those lovely 70s linguistics dissertations: typewritten, with laborious diacritics (warning 10M Hupa Grammar PDF).  :) 

Taronyu

Quote from: wm.annis on January 13, 2010, 05:41:09 PM
Quote from: Taronyu on January 13, 2010, 09:13:42 AMI was going to rewrite my grammar, when it's done, william et omnia, in the style of william's post (indeed, after him). Meaning that my simplified grammar will be written as if to help earthlings understand Na'vi, to fight the RDA. 

You should write it in the style of those lovely 70s linguistics dissertations: typewritten, with laborious diacritics (warning 10M Hupa Grammar PDF).  :) 

Rutxe ma Eywa kehe.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Taronyu on January 13, 2010, 06:36:37 PM
Rutxe ma Eywa kehe.

Oooo, I see what you did there. (totally stealing it too)