Definition disambiguation

Started by Txonpay, January 18, 2024, 11:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Txonpay

Today I sent the slightly updated spreadsheet with the meupdatetsyìp to Pawl and wished him a happy trr ùkyomä :D
  • "Normal" added to the definition of letrrtrr
  • Säfngo' and tson added to the list of requested clarifications (is a tson a kind of säfngo'?
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txantsan :)

Quote from: Txonpay on April 08, 2024, 02:24:43 PMToday I sent the slightly updated spreadsheet with the meupdatetsyìp to Pawl and wished him a happy trr ùkyomä :D
:D  :D

Txonpay

Hmm.  I noticed fnetxum means "allergen" in Fwew, but "kind of poison" in the u/ù list. :-\ Plus it's in the clarification list asking if fnetxum is a countable "poison".
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

I noticed another thing.  Tsatu never appears on Na'vieri, just tsapo and tsatute, and there is no fìtu.  Maybe tsatu is obsolete (or can be put into a different dialect)? :-\
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Good catch :)

Tsatu is in dictionary
https://m.dict-navi.com/en/?search_term=Tsatu

while fìtu not, hmm

Txonpay

Spreadsheet changelog:
  • Marui: Added a source that it is first syllable stress
  • Zangke: Added to the words to canonize (mentioned here)
  • Fìtu: Added to the dictionary gaps
  • Tsatu: Added to the list of definitions to clarify since I tsatu's rarity may suggest that it's obsolete
  • Fnetxum: Added to the list of definitions to update (from "allergen" to "allergen, kind/type of poision")
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Txonpay

Also, there's a Na'viteri title "Mipa aylì'u sì aylì'fyavi nì'ul: More new words and expressions".  I thought nì'ul was an adverb, not an adjective. :-\ The dictionary has no adjectives for "more", "additional" or "extra", either.
Cuddling my ilu

Txonpay

All of that was sent to Pawl just now, including the one about nì'ul :D
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Quote from: Txonpay on April 13, 2024, 01:07:01 AMAlso, there's a Na'viteri title "Mipa aylì'u sì aylì'fyavi nì'ul: More new words and expressions".  I thought nì'ul was an adverb, not an adjective. :-\ The dictionary has no adjectives for "more", "additional" or "extra", either.
Yeah, these sometimes missing.
nì'ul is really an adverb :)   

Toliman

Quote from: Txonpay on April 13, 2024, 01:27:24 AMAll of that was sent to Pawl just now, including the one about nì'ul :D
Txantsan :)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Txonpay on April 13, 2024, 01:07:01 AMAlso, there's a Na'viteri title "Mipa aylì'u sì aylì'fyavi nì'ul: More new words and expressions".  I thought nì'ul was an adverb, not an adjective. :-\ The dictionary has no adjectives for "more", "additional" or "extra", either.
Because the title litterally is:
mipa [aylì'u sì aylì'fyavi] nì'ul
When you change the word order as like:
nì'ul mipa [aylì'u sì aylì'fyavi]
you'll get the translated title:
More new [words and expressions]
So, here nì'ul plays the role of being an adverb. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Txonpay

Quote from: Tìtstewan on April 13, 2024, 06:50:42 AMBecause the title litterally is:
mipa [aylì'u sì aylì'fyavi] nì'ul
When you change the word order as like:
nì'ul mipa [aylì'u sì aylì'fyavi]
you'll get the translated title:
More new [words and expressions]
So, here nì'ul plays the role of being an adverb. :)
That makes it more like "newer words and expressions" instead of "additional new words and expressions" :-\ Is that right?
Cuddling my ilu

Txonpay

I also said so in the spreadsheet and in a Na'viteri comment.

Also, Pawl replied to me again! 8) He said he is "back in town" and hopes to get to some of the queries on the spreadsheet ;D
Cuddling my ilu

Txonpay

And he also said that regarding a Na'vi "additional:, Pawl said he was thinking about "exactly this sort of thing, in the wider context of quantifiers in general" 8)
Cuddling my ilu

Toliman

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Txonpay on April 13, 2024, 01:47:11 PMThat makes it more like "newer words and expressions" instead of "additional new words and expressions" :-\ Is that right?
I guess, this idea comes from the background that there are new words. The "newer words and expressions" is a very short way of saying "More new words and expressions" but the trick here is, that you used "newer" which is a comparative of "new", and I think this is not exactly 1:1 same thing as "more new". I'm not a native english speaker, but for me it looks like using a comparative way that is not the same (comparisson vs. quantity), especially when the focus of that sentence is meant to say "more new X" like "there is a greater amount of new words and expressions".

I'd say that one could translate nì'ul as "additional", too, since the basic meaning of that sentence is, there are "more", "additional" or "greater quantity of" new words.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

I kinda want *le'ul to exist. Or some other word for "additional", "extra", "more (adj.)"
Unless what we have spent the last 14 years doing is correct and the only way to do it hrh
afaik everyone has kinda just been using nì'ul as a modifier for verbs, and also for adjectives. I suppose it's not too unlike how we also do this with nìtxan?

With that whole mipa...nì'ul thing, something that is "more new" is "less old". so idk.

Also, the more I think about it, maybe the title really seems like it's actually short for something like:

- Here are...
- I present...
- in this post there are...
- I bring you...
- etc...
... more new words and expressions

Quote from: Txonpay on April 13, 2024, 06:31:21 PMAnd he also said that regarding a Na'vi "additional:, Pawl said he was thinking about "exactly this sort of thing, in the wider context of quantifiers in general" 8)

I'm not 100% sure I follow. What exactly did he mean by this?

Thanks for keeping in touch with him about all this stuff. Hoping for some more answers soon :D