Easy way to learn Na'vi--Songs!

Started by Kaltxì Palulukan!, January 25, 2010, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Hi again,

It's me, the typing monkey. Okay; so one of the easiest ways to learn a language is to sing a short, fun song that gets stuck in your head. This is one of the ways children learn grammar and vocabulary all over the world. Once they learn a song they like, it stays with them for the rest of their life. So in that vein, I will post Na'vi "spoof" songs based on popular or famous children's songs. These will all end up in the future edition of the activity book (if you haven't got yours yet--please download your FREE copy now and start learning Na'vi the FUN way! here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/your-projects-other-resources/easy-way-to-learn-navi-activity-book!/msg50963/#msg50963)

This first one you may not know by name, but the melody is simple and familiar. In this case, please imagine Na'vi children making up a song about the bad sky-people. The horror they endured, especially in the Omticaya clan (death of Hometree and the Tree of Voices), but also any clan whose mommies and daddies had to fight (and most die) fighting the sky-people does not easily go away. So you make fun of it. This is the basis for many of the old children's songs throughout history, where children would sing about death and the plague. So, without further adieu, here is the first installment: The "I hate Bosco" song. (I will try to find audio if I can)

(NOTE that will be edited out later. I have done my best to ensure propper grammar--but the best way to make sure the grammar is correct is to post it, and wait to be corrected, so these words may change. If this note is gone when you come back, the song has been vetted)

In this song, first will come the actual song parody in Na'vi. Then immediately following will be the approximate translation in English. Lastly will be the original song lyrics. Feedback please, and TEACH THIS TO YOUR KIDS!

Fun (Post-Avatar) Na'vi Chldren's song!
(sing along!)

Oel Tawtute!
Oel plltxe 'ìnglìsì

Oel tolswon ftu alìm
ulte Oel skola'a ayutral!

Oel leru vrrtep
Oel tolspang oeyä sa'nu

Ha set Oel kerelku si Eywa'eveng
ulte Oel 'eko Na'vi!

:)

(and now in sky-demon language!)

I Tawtute!
I speak English

I fly from far away
and I [chop down*] lots of trees!
[actual word used means "destroy]

I'm a demon
i killed my own mommy!

So now I live on Pandora
And I attack Na'vi!

A long, long time ago, there were popular

children's songs. This was one of them:

"I hate Bosco"

I hate Bosco
It's not the drink for me  (alternatively: It's full of TNT [or DDT])
My mommy put it in my milk
To try to poison me
One day I fooled Mommy
I put some in her tea
And now I have no mommy
To try to poison me!
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Skyinou

Great^^

oel tawtute => oe tawtute (or oe lu tawtute , make more sense, i think)
oel tolswon => oel tamswon (it's past. perfective too, but that's not the important point here)
oel leru vrrtep => oe lu vrrtep ("be a demon" is a fact, not an action being, and "lu" don't ask for ergative: "l" of "oel")
oel tolspang => oel tamspang (even tamspangang if it's possible, i don't know)
Let's rock with The Tanners!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Skyinou on January 25, 2010, 08:38:30 PM
Great^^

oel tawtute => oe tawtute (or oe lu tawtute , make more sense, i think)
oel tolswon => oel tamswon (it's past. perfective too, but that's not the important point here)
oel leru vrrtep => oe lu vrrtep ("be a demon" is a fact, not an action being, and "lu" don't ask for ergative: "l" of "oel")
oel tolspang => oel tamspang (even tamspangang if it's possible, i don't know)

Thank you!

Okay, so the first line I knew would draw fire--and that is good. I want to get some feedback. In my mind, the Na'vi child singing this with his friends points at himself (like a big-dumb sky person would--ball up your fist and stick out your thumb like you are hitch-hiking--if anyone even remembers what that is) and point at your self with a jerky thumb-jabbing motion while singing "I Tawtute" (instead of I am a human) as it seems to be a greater insult to dumb down the inflection to "I human, or "I stupid sky-demon." That is how I see it---but---if other people think about this and think that is too cruel I am happy to change it to something more eloquent.

as to :
"oel tolswon => oel tamswon (it's past. perfective too, but that's not the important point here)"

Should I get a new document? I want to make sure the rules I am following are the CURRENT ones (as everything changes so quickly around here). Here is what i am working from (Crash-course-linguistic.pdf):

Verbal Tenses
Although there appear to be more tenses for Na‟Vi, they go unexplained until Dr. Frommer decided to elucidate us all upon their meaning. However, for now we shall focus on the last of the linguistic conundrums of verb tenses:
<REC><ìm> Refers to recent past. "I just ate."
<FUT><ay> Refers to future. "I will eat."
<IMPV><er> Refers to an incomplete/continuous action. "I am eating."
<PFV><ol> Refers to a completed past action. "I ate."
***The present tense does not have a marker.
E.g. taron [hunt] "hunts"
t‹ìm›aron [hunt‹REC›] "just hunted"
t‹ay›aron [hunt‹FUT›] "will hunt"
t‹er›aron [hunt‹IMPV›] "hunting"
t‹ol›aron [hunt‹PFV›] "hunted"

Yeah, so I need grammar help. But now you see what I was working from/with. Awaiting further clarification. Irayo. Kps to you! :)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kiliyä

The case marking is not necessarily wrong...

"I, Tawtute, I speak English."  The I's are the same, thus they can be the same in Na'vi too.  If it was "I (am) Tawtute", then, yeah, it's wrong.
Peu sa'nokyä ayoengyä?  Pefya ayoeng poeru kìte'e sayi?
Pefya ayoengìl poeti hayawnu, na poel ayoengit hawnu?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

Kiliyä

Just wanted to add my own funny song... it's Way a Kawkrr Hasey!

Fìway lu kawkrr hasey
this-song be never done
This song is never done

Ma 'eylan, ke tsun txey
my friend, (you) not can stop
My friend, you can't stop

Aysute sngamä'i rivol
PL-person start-PAST sing-SUBJ
People started singing

Ke omusum a lamu
not know-PART which (it) be-PAST
not knowing what it was

Fo rayol nìtut tsawayit
They sing-FUT continually that-song-ACC
They'll sing that song continually

Frakrr: fìlun lu...
Forever: this-reason be...
Forever: this reason is (why)

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

Txonyä'ite

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Kiliyä on January 25, 2010, 09:42:04 PM
Just wanted to add my own funny song... it's Way a Kawkrr Hasey!
(snip)

Yaay! Okay I will hurry up and finish my version of "Mary had a little lamb" sung by Na'vi children.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Okay here it is, ready for grammatical correction. Note, the last word is incorrect. I need help.

Na'vi children parody of skydemon Mary had a little lamb song.

Tatute–e yolom rim eltungawng
Tatute–e ate a yellow brainworm

Utu mauti,
Banana fruit

ulte yNikt'chey
and some (food) wraps

Mary yìmom ean eltungawng
Mary just ate a blue brainworm

ulte poem soli lekeye'ung*
and she went insane!

(NOTE: This word (keye'ung*) is technically wrong. It means "insanity." I need the word for "insane.")

– Anyone? :)

EDIT: I changed the word. Let's see if that works. Now teach your children these songs! Get them stuck in your head. Make Na'vi your primary language!

Erimeyz

You, sir, are a frickin' genius.

- Eri

Erimeyz

Quote from: dustywhite on January 25, 2010, 10:37:54 PM
keye'ung*
(NOTE: This word is technically wrong. It means "insanity." I need the word for "insane.")

lekeye'ung, srak?

- Eri

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Erimeyz on January 25, 2010, 10:49:59 PM
Quote from: dustywhite on January 25, 2010, 10:37:54 PM
keye'ung*
(NOTE: This word is technically wrong. It means "insanity." I need the word for "insane.")

lekeye'ung, srak?

- Eri

I will use that until the grammar nazi himself shows up ;)

Txan irayo!

Kaltxì Palulukan!

One more tonight: Row, row, row your boat (Na'vi kid style)

Row, row, row your boat,
What, what, is the meaning
'Upe, 'upe , lu real
(NOTE: I know I need a noun affix or something here, but I can't quite figure out which one)

Gently down the stream.
Of sky-demon words?
Tawvrrtep aylì'u?

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
Noone knows, no one knows, stupid sky-people cannot see.
Kawtuyä omum, Kawtuyä omum—snumìna Tawtute skxawng

kintìomum

These really make me smile.
Ah, something I can teach my son in the coming three weeks holiday (yay!) with no internet (noooo!).
Wasn't it mentioned in the ASG that Na'vi have a song similar to our "Ten Little Pigs"? Just based on eight, since they have only 8 digits? Maybe someone...?
Row your boat is great!
(GAAH! It's in my head!)
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Nume fpi sänume

They are also stuck in my head :( Ah well, at least its amusing.

Kiliyä

Quote from: dustywhite on January 25, 2010, 11:49:24 PM

Row, row, row your boat,
'Upe, 'upe, lu ral
(NOTE: I know I need a noun affix or something here, but I can't quite figure out which one)

Gently down the stream.
Of sky-demon english words?
Tawvrrtep 'ìnglìsìyä aylì'u?

Okay, maybe the real version?
Rikx rikx rikx sìpit
mawey kilvanhu
Nìlrr, nìlrr, nìlrr, nìlrr, rey unil lu

And your line about English has way too many vowels!

Tsway'eion

These songs are great!

Row, row, row your boat,
'Upe, 'upe , lu real

Gently down the stream.

If you took 'inglìsìyä out the syllables would almost match...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Kiliyä on January 26, 2010, 12:08:32 AM

Row, row, row your boat,
'Upe, 'upe, lu ral

Gently down the stream.

Okay, maybe the real version?
Rikx rikx rikx sìpit
mawey kilvanhu
Nìlrr, nìlrr, nìlrr, nìlrr, rey unil lu

And your line about English has way too many vowels!

How about a little politeness please?

This post is here to help. If you have corrections, please state them. I am here to listen.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tsway'eion on January 26, 2010, 12:21:09 AM
These songs are great!
If you took 'inglìsìyä out the syllables would almost match...

Thank you.

Okay, as to 'inglìsìyä, I thought about that carefully (and both of your posts--thank you very much for your comments), and in English it works, but in Na'vi the 'inglìsìyä is potentially redundant. This will delete the syllables and make everyone happy. I don't know if theyw ill match now, but the meaning seems to stay the same, considering that it is a children's song about stupid sky-people.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Oh this stuff is amazing. I'll be singing it tomorrow XD
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kiliyä

Quote from: dustywhite on January 26, 2010, 12:23:12 AMHow about a little politeness please?

This post is here to help. If you have corrections, please state them. I am here to listen.
Tsap'alute si oe ngaru ulte pawm txoati ngeyä!  I didn't mean to imply that there were mistakes - or that your version was somehow inferior.  I lol'd when I read it!  I just meant it was difficult to sing (rap maybe...  8)), more as an observation than a correction.