English to Na'vi Dictionary

Started by Lrrtoksì nìhawng, June 27, 2010, 11:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

The poor lil' English to Na'vi vocabulary setting on the learnnavi.org has gotten really out of date. I waited for awhile because I thought maybe someone else would either update it or make an English to Na'vi pdf but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. So I made one. This is mostly intended for the writers and poets who know what they want to say but don't know the Na'vi words, and for those who want to find out what words we still need. So after all of this, I did verify that, yes, we have no word for "storm" yet.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B31JcOcUoXlFNjYxMDMwZmItYWQxNy00Yjc2LWE2MTUtYjg0ODgyNjA2ODI1&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

If you're looking for the hardcore edition, I still suggest Taronyu's original dictionary for all of the cool linguistic stuff. I wasn't able to reproduce some of the symbols used for the pronunciation guide so what I have is kind of cobbled together. Again...see Taronyu's dictionary for details. I'll be lurking in the language updates section to add stuff as we get it. I'm aiming for weekly updates.

Nang! Ma Taronyu, pefya ngal gnamop fi'ut ulte ke slu lekye'ung!?  :o
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

Tirea Aean

I like this idea...is anyone able to edit it? I feel like I want to help with this somehow.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

I like this too! Thank you for posting, I think this will be really helpful.

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Tirea Aean

EDIT

Taronyu HAS made such a dictionary....did you check the official "our Dictionary" thread???

http://forum.learnnavi.org/intermediate/my-dictionary/

of course the single most up to date dicitonary in the community is the original Taronyu Na'vi--->Eng dictionary.

so yeah. just putting this out there.

DOUBLE EDIT

Again, your PDF seems to be based off of the most recent dicionary just updated the other day...I really like it. how long did it take you to do this?? cookie for you!

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 28, 2010, 12:22:50 AM
EDIT

Taronyu HAS made such a dictionary....did you check the official "our Dictionary" thread???

http://forum.learnnavi.org/intermediate/my-dictionary/

of course the single most up to date dicitonary in the community is the original Taronyu Na'vi--->Eng dictionary.

so yeah. just putting this out there.

DOUBLE EDIT

Again, your PDF seems to be based off of the most recent dicionary just updated the other day...I really like it. how long did it take you to do this?? cookie for you!

Aw poop! I was looking all over for that and everything I found was always Navi to English. Ah well...at least I'm a fount of vocabulary now.  ::)

I could redo the settings on this so that anyone can edit it, so we could have Taronyu's dictionary as the most "official" and this one could have the benefit of everyone's input...kind of like wikipedia but nerdier.

Tirea Aean

well..............I kinda like the request to edit thing personally...it keeps uncanonical changes out and preserves legitimacy. ;)

Tuiq

Big no way here. Allowing users to edit or add words ends in a terribly mess. Also, I don't see the point in having more than one dictionary. As of now there is only one dictionary (and a few "illegal" ripoffs of it) and I think that's the way it should stay.
Eana Eltu: PDF/TSV/jMemorize

Taronyu

Quote from: Lrrtoksì nìhawng on June 27, 2010, 11:51:12 PM
Nang! Ma Taronyu, pefya ngal gnamop fi'ut ulte ke slu lekye'ung!?  :o

Oh, I went crazy months ago.

Good idea! Sorry that we beat you to it. As for enabling editing from more people: I'm not actually normally a control freak, but being able to maintain a standard of canonicity is very important, I feel. So, sorry about that as well. :) Although, a synonym dictionary might not be the worst idea.

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Tuiq on June 28, 2010, 02:32:06 PM
Big no way here. Allowing users to edit or add words ends in a terribly mess. Also, I don't see the point in having more than one dictionary. As of now there is only one dictionary (and a few "illegal" ripoffs of it) and I think that's the way it should stay.
There's several reasons to have multiple dictionaries, and I'd hardly say there's only one.  There's three that I know of which are actively kept up to date.  (Not counting lists that are kept as a secondary sources of information based off one of the three, with or without permission.)  Each may have different goals and uses, and possibly a different presentation.  A mistake in one might be easier to catch with something to compare it to.  And having a single person the source of input can severely limit the availability of information, especially if that person needs to take a break or gives up.

But a dictionary in a growing language is only as good as how often it is updated or corrected.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Taronyu

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on June 28, 2010, 07:25:14 PM
Quote from: Tuiq on June 28, 2010, 02:32:06 PM
There's several reasons to have multiple dictionaries, and I'd hardly say there's only one.  There's three that I know of which are actively kept up to date.  (Not counting lists that are kept as a secondary sources of information based off one of the three, with or without permission.)  Each may have different goals and uses, and possibly a different presentation.  A mistake in one might be easier to catch with something to compare it to.  And having a single person the source of input can severely limit the availability of information, especially if that person needs to take a break or gives up.

But a dictionary in a growing language is only as good as how often it is updated or corrected.

I agree with all of this. Just curious - what's the third, again? Frommer's? I know of the wiki, and really like it.

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

I'll be keeping this one updated myself. At the very least, I'm impressed with how much vocabulary I learned in just the few days of reorganizing words. I did find a few entries where there is a choice between several Na'vi words to mean the same as an English one and I added quite a few English entries which point to the same Na'vi word. As the language grows a lot of these will probably get replaced by Na'vi words having more nuanced meanings. Like, funny, strange and weird all point to hiyìk, but I imagine in the future we'll probably end up with all kinds words for ha-ha funny and icky funny too. Maybe we'll even get words for different degrees of weird.

Tirea Aean

Yeah. like I may have said, an English to Na'vi dictionary is NOT AT ALL an easy thing due to how complex and irregular English is and how different from English Na'vi is, and the context of word equivalents.