Fwew: A Better Crossplatform Na'vi Dictionary Terminal App

Started by Tirea Aean, March 30, 2015, 02:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka`ula

This looks interesting. What does this do that Ctrl-F on a PDF Reader doesn't?  ???

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Aka`ula on February 20, 2017, 10:55:59 PM
This looks interesting. What does this do that Ctrl-F on a PDF Reader doesn't?  ???

* Multiple language support (no need to open all the PDFs. Tho I admit this is a nit feature mostly for the euro-smuk)
* Support for looking up tons of Na'vi words in one go (using arguments mode, not the mode used in the gif), fast as hell.
* Support for filtering results by part of speech
* Whole-word matching
* No requirement of PDF reading software (moot point if you use Chrome, I know. :P)
* Works offline, because the data is in text files on your system.

Coming soon:

* Support for looking up affixed words like tireapäpeykiyevängkxängo that would surely not be in the PDF. Only root words are in the PDF
    * To include Support for finding ALL possible results for a word. There are known words that have the exact same spelling but different root words. This would be able to find them ALL, for the first time
* Support for looking up words that have undergone lenition (kx->k, p->f, ts/t->s, etc.)
* Support for converting numbers: octal digits to decimal; decimal digits to octal; Na'vi spelled-out word numbers to both octal and decimal digits
* Narrow down results and re-order them by relevance (most relevant words at the top of the list)

Kind of a lot better than PDF searching. Once it's complete, that is. :)

EDIT: Beware the edits ;D

Aka`ula

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 20, 2017, 11:02:27 PM

* Multiple language support (no need to open all the PDFs. Tho I admit this is a nit feature mostly for the euro-smuk)
* Support for looking up tons of Na'vi words in one go (using arguments mode, not the mode used in the gif), fast as hell.
* Whole-word matching
* No requirement of PDF reading software (moot point if you use Chrome, I know. :P)

Coming soon:

* Support for looking up affixed words like tireapäpeykiyevängkxängo that would surely not be in the PDF. Only root words are in the PDF
* Support for looking up words that have undergone lenition (kx->k, p->f, ts/t->s, etc.)
* Support for converting numbers: octal digits to decimal; decimal digits to octal; Na'vi spelled-out word numbers to both octal and decimal digits
* Narrow down results and re-order them by relevance (most relevant words at the top of the list)

That sounds like it'll be very helpful! I've had to go through like 20 results sometimes when I search up a word through a pdf before  :facepalm:! Do you think this in the future it is possible for basic grammar error checking? Good work by the way, can't wait to see it's progress! :)

Edit: (Although support through the board is probably more preferable as a resource and because of the interaction!)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Aka`ula on February 20, 2017, 11:10:58 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 20, 2017, 11:02:27 PM

* Whole-word matching

Coming soon:

* To include Support for finding ALL possible results for a word. There are known words that have the exact same spelling but different root words. This would be able to find them ALL, for the first time

EDIT: Beware the edits ;D

That sounds like it'll be very helpful! I've had to go through like 20 results sometimes when I search up a word through a pdf before  :facepalm:!

Srane :D I remember those days too.

QuoteDo you think this in the future it is possible for basic grammar error checking? Good work by the way, can't wait to see it's progress! :)

Actually, yes, I forgot to edit my edited edited edit of the edit, that a Grammar Parser is on the roadmap too. Here are some screenshots from the old one I wrote in Fwew's predecessor:

The one coming in Fwew will probably work and look slightly different from that, but maybe similar. ;)

EDIT: missed a screenshot. hrh :P

Aka`ula

sìltsan sängopìl srung si frapoti  :ikran:

fraporu  (caught myself there  :D)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Aka`ula on February 20, 2017, 11:24:53 PM
sìltsan sängopìl srung si frapoti  :ikran:

Tstunwi! :)

Oe fmi. ;)

I've been working on these console dictionary apps for years. I still haven't got fwew to be what I want it to be, but vrrtepcli as it was, came close.  I've come to find over the years that teaching a machine to understand spoken language is not an easy task! :D

Tirea Aean

Lots of great news in this project!

I have been steadily updating the code for months now.

Introducing Full support for Windows (especially if you use Powershell rather than CMD)

the Read-eval-print loop now works!

Introducing slash-commands! Such as:

~>> /commands
/set       show currently set options, or set given options (separated by space)
/unset     unset given options (separated by space)
/list      list all words with given part of speech
/update    download and update the dictionary file
/commands  Show this commands help text
/help      Show main help text
/exit      exit/quit the program (aliases /quit /q /wc)

examples:
/set
/set i ipa
/unset i
/list svin.
/update
/commands
/help
/exit

How to install (You do NOT need to compile the source code! :D) :

For Windows:

1. Download
    https://github.com/tirea/fwew/archive/master.zip to Desktop

2. Unzip

3. Copy
    the bin\windows\fwew.exe into your user's home directory (C:\Users\<your_username>\)
    the .fwew folder into your user's home directory too

For Mac:

1. Download

2. Open Terminal.app

3. Copy & Paste then hit enter:
unzip ~/Desktop/fwew-master.zip && sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin && sudo cp ~/Desktop/fwew-master/bin/mac/fwew /usr/local/bin/ && cp -r ~/Desktop/fwew-master/.fwew ~/
    note: it will prompt you for a password because /usr/local/bin/ is in the system path for all users
    note: when you type in your password, there will be no stars or dots displayed to represent typed characters;
             this is normal behavior for password entry in Terminal.

Optional: copy fwew from fwew-master/bin/mac folder into /Applications folder for convenience if you don't regularly use Terminal

For Linux:

1. Download

2. Open Terminal

3. Copy & Paste and run
unzip ~/Desktop/fwew-master.zip && sudo cp ~/Desktop/fwew-master/bin/linux/fwew /usr/local/bin/ && cp -r ~/Desktop/fwew-master/.fwew ~/
    note: it will prompt you for a password because /usr/local/bin/ is in the system path for all users
    note: when you type in your password, there will be no stars or dots displayed to represent typed characters;
             this is normal behavior for password entry in Terminal.

I'll be updating the Readme.md on GitHub with the new usage info soon.

Blue Elf

Well, good news!! Definitely will try until end of week. Does dictionary update work = is it possible to update to the last dictionary version? I remember updates didn't work in the past...
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 28, 2018, 09:22:41 AM
Well, good news!! Definitely will try until end of week. Does dictionary update work = is it possible to update to the last dictionary version? I remember updates didn't work in the past...

Data file updates are confirmed to work on all platforms using the /update command from inside fwew.

I have been keeping the data file (dictionary.txt) up to date with the dictionary.

Blue Elf

I tried on Windows 7 and it works (no surprise :)) I've found, that it can be necessary to set your home directory into PATH variable (when fwew was copied there).
It matters, how cmd is started. If you use Win+R shortcut, type cmd and run it - no problem, no need to set PATH, as working directory is your home directory.
If you have shortcut to cmd created on the desktop (for example), it has by default working directory set to c:\windows\system32 (see attachment). In this case you either need to modify shortcut to run in home directory or set PATH to search your home directory too.
Is there any documentation for commands (especially arguments of /list)?

Tirea Aean

That makes sense.

The intention on Windows is to have the fwew.exe binary and the .fwew/ folder inside the home folder for exactly that reason. working directory is home folder and is in path if cmd is opened in the home directory. This works well if you have CMD added to your Task bar at the bottom of the screen (I have found as well that this defaults to home dir as present working directory)

The best way, IMO, to set this up is, run Powershell, pin it to task bar. Powershell shows all the UTF-8 characters including ä and ì and IPA characters correctly, and CMD continues to struggle with that (at least in the US)

Blue Elf

Will dig into powershell, cmd is annoying with lack of unicode. So far I discovered one can't run fwew by just writing "fwew" + Enter. You must use the same way as on linux (.\fwew).  Interesting...

Tirea Aean

Update for 2019. Ma frapo,

Fwew 3 here. and it is cool.

slash-commands with powerful search features, input history (using up/down arrow keys), and tab-completion.

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Just coming by to announce that I have compiled latest version 3.1.2-dev for all platforms, and it works beautifully!

Windows: Works beautifully. use Powershell for best IPA results. CMD works great as well otherwise.
        fwew.exe Download: https://github.com/tirea/fwew/tree/master/bin/windows

Mac: Works as always.
        fwew Download: https://github.com/tirea/fwew/tree/master/bin/mac

Linux: Use a terminal that supports UTF-8 for best results (most distros support this by default anyway, afaik)
        fwew Download: https://github.com/tirea/fwew/tree/master/bin/linux

Once you have the executable, Download the .fwew folder containing the data files:

https://github.com/tirea/fwew/tree/master/.fwew

Then, make sure this .fwew folder is in your home folder:

Windows:
        C:\Users\<username>\.fwew\config.json
        C:\Users\<username>\.fwew\dictionary.txt

Mac:
        /Users/<username>/.fwew/config.json
        /Users/<username>/.feww/dictionary.txt

Linux:
        /home/<username>/.fwew/config.json
        /home/<username>/.fwew/dictionary.txt

I have also rewritten the README.md: https://github.com/tirea/fwew/blob/master/README.md

Let me know what you think!

Blue Elf

Great tool! Installed again, trying to use. How fresh are dictionary data?

Blue Elf

I tried current version and it looks like /list command doesn't work correctly:
C:\Users\raszka>fwew /version
fwew 4.2.1-dev "Fkewa Fkio"
dictionary c909bfda (EE 14.4)

C:\Users\raszka>fwew /list syllables = 3

no results

no results

no results

C:\Users\raszka>fwew /list pos has vin.

no results

no results

[1] vin vtr. request, ask for

C:\Users\raszka>
Ca you look at that, ma Tirea?

Edit:
Meh, it works after reading doc with cleaned glasses - as I understand, only in interactive mode, right?

Blue Elf

When I try to show stress, it shows something strange:
C:\Users\raszka>fwew -s atxkxe
[1] atxkxe (atx-←[4mkxe←[0m) n. land
What is it? I'm using Window 10.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I downloaded what I think is the correct binary for my Linux machine. When I run it, no matter what I input, (including nothing), I get the following error:

$ ./fwew -help
2023/02/03 02:03:18 invalid character '<' looking for beginning of value

fwew and the .fwew directory are in my home directory.
I had to change permissions on the binary file to make it executable.
What do I need to fix this?
Am I better off compiling fwew from source?

Irayo nìtxan nìwotx fwa nga ngolop fwew nang.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]