Get yourself a @skxawng.lu email!

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, July 19, 2010, 11:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

then you need a server to host the domain files unless you have a dedicated one yourself...

does it make sense to pay for a domain, only for a set of email addresses? i guess it depends

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Good point :P

The simplest solution would be buying your domain from a hosting provider, these often provide both web and email.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Hmm... I doubt many people would actually use it.  I wanted to set it up for my schools band kids to continue to chat after we graduate and to have them for band only stuff but I don't think it'd be that popular of an idea.

Thank you both for your help :)

Sіr. Ηaxalot

http://skxawng.lu/ will be online very soon!

http://skxawng.lu/ is online!

Carborundum

We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I was forced to initiate a server upgrade yesterday, since I found a bug in Imagemagick that basically caused apache to hang when trying to resize a specific image...

Anyway, I stopped mail service is shutdown to prevent loss of emails in a worst case scenario (i.e. Something goes wrong so that I have to rollback the machine to a previous state). All mail traffic is redirected to a backup server, and will be delivered as soon as the real server gets online again. Which should be sometime this evening.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

The server will be offline tomorrow (15/12) between 13:00 and 16:00 CET because of Harddrive upgrades.

Carborundum

Thanks for the heads-up. And for letting us use your server in the first place, of course. :)
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Known problems with outbound mail. This affects mail you send via the server and everyone that's using the redirect feature.
Warning: The server is expected to have some downtime in the next 24 hours somewhere in the near future due to set up of a new Virtualization system. Including adding RAID-5 for additional data security.

Vawm tsamsiyu

It's not Working for me, is this the scheduled downtime?
they killed the [you] tag

Sіr. Ηaxalot

It seems to be an old problem where the server clock moves to fast, which causes problems when the NTP service syncs the clock and it moves backwards.

Yayo

When will it be back up and running?

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I just restarted it. It works now, riight?

And no, it isn't the planned downtime. I'll try to post here in advance when we reach that point.

Vawm tsamsiyu

Vawm tsamsiyu

Sіr. Ηaxalot

It happens becasue the clock function in VMWare seems to be bugged. The time is going way to fast inside the VM, it gets about a minute ahead / 24 hours. So if I want accurate timestamps (which I do) I'll have to use NTP to sync the time. But when that happens, dovecot crashes becasue it doesn't expect the time to move backwards.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I got an genious idea!

If I replace the NTP update crontab with a script that stops the mailserver before the NTP update and restarts it after that, it should work much better!

Sіr. Ηaxalot

UPDATE: Server maintenance expected around 16:00 CET. The server will be offline for (hopefully) about an hour.

kaltxi Angtsik

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 15, 2011, 11:02:25 AM
It happens becasue the clock function in VMWare seems to be bugged. The time is going way to fast inside the VM, it gets about a minute ahead / 24 hours. So if I want accurate timestamps (which I do) I'll have to use NTP to sync the time. But when that happens, dovecot crashes becasue it doesn't expect the time to move backwards.
That must be an old version of vmware - back in 2008 or so ntp was whack in our linux instances that were on vmware but in more recent vmware installs ntpd has run without problem and and the systems keep accurate time. We got off of vmware though, and run virtuozzo containers now since it's cheaper and faster.
Yawey ngahu!
Oe nerume fte pivlltxe nìNa'vi.
pamrel si ro [email protected]

kaltxi Angtsik

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 22, 2011, 08:14:33 AM
UPDATE: Server maintenance expected around 16:00 CET. The server will be offline for (hopefully) about an hour.
Thanks for the update - I saw that my connections to skxawng.lu were getting rejected so I figured something was up  ???
Yawey ngahu!
Oe nerume fte pivlltxe nìNa'vi.
pamrel si ro [email protected]