Get yourself a @skxawng.lu email!

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, July 19, 2010, 11:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 06, 2013, 04:36:03 PM
Down again. :( Anyone got an idea what's up this time around?
Also, any know where PHPMyAdmin is on the new server?

I have just taken control of the domain. So, it is not hugely surprising that it appears 'down' to you, since I just pushed some new DNS settings in preparation of setting up the server it now points to.

I shall have to sort out how to handle user domains for this purpose.
For the moment, which subdomain were you using. If Sir.Haxalot's server is still up[Edit: Looking more closely, his server isn't up, probably hasn't been since January, and you simply hadn't noticed before], I can manually point yours back to him for the moment.

Sir.Haxalot and I am currently sorting out what to do with user data.

That'd be a problem. At the very least, I'd need the DNS for my subdomain kept active so everyone's links to my sigbar projects don't break (although I can provide my own hosting if need be).

Hmm.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on February 06, 2013, 04:41:48 PM
Down again. :( Anyone got an idea what's up this time around?
Also, any know where PHPMyAdmin is on the new server?

I have just taken control of the domain. So, it is not hugely surprising that it appears 'down' to you, since I just pushed some new DNS settings in preparation of setting up the server it now points to.

I shall have to sort out how to handle user domains for this purpose.
For the moment, which subdomain were you using. If Sir.Haxalot's server is still up, I can manually point yours back to him for the moment.

Sir.Haxalot and I am currently sorting out what to do with user data.
It's swokaikran.skxawng.lu. If Haxalot is around, I need copies of my DBs and files as well. My last backup is from sometime in mid-2012 because my scheduled backup apparently has been failing since June, both to back up and to notify me when it fails.

Something to consider if you decide to offer web space in the future: PHP needs GD enabled and safe mode off or my apps won't work.

Also, out of curiosity, what OS is the server going to run?
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 06, 2013, 05:10:58 PM
It's swokaikran.skxawng.lu. If Haxalot is around, I need copies of my DBs and files as well. My last backup is from sometime in mid-2012 because my scheduled backup apparently has been failing since June, both to back up and to notify me when it fails.
Hmm. I haven't seen him come on here for a while. When I next see him on IRC, I will ask.

Something to consider if you decide to offer web space in the future: PHP needs GD enabled and safe mode off or my apps won't work.
Ok. GD is pretty much standard. PHP Safe mode is removed in 5.4, so this wouldn't be an issue.

Also, out of curiosity, what OS is the server going to run?
Whenever I am setting up a server I want to simply 'run', I always go for Debian.
(PS. My day-to-day distro is Exherbo for comparison)

Irtaviš Ačankif

On Debian I recommend to start tracking wheezy by now. This saves you a huge apt-get upgrade when wheezy goes stable, which is within a few months at most. Lenny->squeeze totally wrecked my server before...
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on February 06, 2013, 05:21:52 PM
Ok. GD is pretty much standard. PHP Safe mode is removed in 5.4, so this wouldn't be an issue.
Learned something new. I develop on 5.3.8, which was Haxalot's version until his new server. Didn't know they removed it in 5.4.

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on February 06, 2013, 05:21:52 PM
Whenever I am setting up a server I want to simply 'run', I always go for Debian.
(PS. My day-to-day distro is Exherbo for comparison)
That answers that. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna be Windows Server (ugh).

Since your plan seems to be to run a mail server...if you know already, what UI do you plan to use? Asking because some email UIs are just terrible (looking at you, Zimbra). I've used a bunch, and among my favorites were Zarafa's webmail, followed by Horde and Roundcube.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tirea Aean

My subdomain was tirea.skxawng.lu

I would like ssh access again so I can mass scp all my stuff to local machine and then my subdomain can be deleted from there if need be.

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Urekiniste Lûsenin on February 06, 2013, 06:00:30 PM
On Debian I recommend to start tracking wheezy by now. This saves you a huge apt-get upgrade when wheezy goes stable, which is within a few months at most. Lenny->squeeze totally wrecked my server before...
The server is sitting on Sid for this reason. (And because Debian's idea of 'unstable' is about every other distros 'highly stable').

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 06, 2013, 06:01:30 PM
Since your plan seems to be to run a mail server...if you know already, what UI do you plan to use? Asking because some email UIs are just terrible (looking at you, Zimbra). I've used a bunch, and among my favorites were Zarafa's webmail, followed by Horde and Roundcube.
People use webmail interfaces other than Gmail? I was initially planning on only having IMAP(Dovecot)/SMTP(Postfix) access, and letting you chose the UI yourself. If webmail is a sufficiently popular idea, I will probably just put Mailr on it.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 07, 2013, 05:52:12 AM
I would like ssh access again so I can mass scp all my stuff to local machine and then my subdomain can be deleted from there if need be.
I don't actually have access to Sir.Haxalot's server, so I can't do anything about this myself.
The conclusion last night regarding data on his server was: "I think I could get out database dumps from the user database, and in a bit longer time the mailboxes", so regarding any other data, we will see...
(You did keep your own backup's didn't you? :) )

Tirea Aean

yes I have backups, but they are old. and I've created a bunch of stuff on the server machine in the web directory since the last backup... looks like I need to increase the backup frequency o.o  Really though, All I need is for Haxalot's server to go back online and SSH to work again on his machine and then I can take care of this myself without you having to do anything.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on February 07, 2013, 06:20:05 AM
The server is sitting on Sid for this reason. (And because Debian's idea of 'unstable' is about every other distros 'highly stable').
Haha I totally agree with it. Sid is way stabler than Ubuntu, which is supposed to be stable even though it has *highly* messed up repos (self-contradictory dependency hell!)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Urekiniste Lûsenin on February 07, 2013, 07:06:30 AM
Haha I totally agree with it. Sid is way stabler than Ubuntu, which is supposed to be stable even though it has *highly* messed up repos (self-contradictory dependency hell!)

In ALL my time using Ubuntu (which is almost all my time using Linux), I have never experienced any issues with aptitude or apt-get or repositories or whatever. I guess it must be different for custom specific servers than typical desktop users. (I used to just use the tasksel package to install LAMP, it's disgustingly easy.)

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 07, 2013, 07:09:51 AM
Quote from: Urekiniste Lûsenin on February 07, 2013, 07:06:30 AM

In ALL my time using Ubuntu (which is almost all my time using Linux), I have never experienced any issues with aptitude or apt-get or repositories or whatever. I guess it must be different for custom specific servers than typical desktop users. (I used to just use the tasksel package to install LAMP, it's disgustingly easy.)
Ooo Apache...which incidentally I do not use for resource usage and performance usage. Lighttpd in my experience is much better if you don't use many extensions or htaccess rules. Loadimpact could load my website (hosted on a tiny VPS) up with 500 users ramping up and the "load time" graph stays dead flat. But let's not start a flame war ;)

On breaking Ubuntu, try installing and uninstalling pulseaudio-equalizer on a vanilla Ubuntu 11.10 with aptitude. Enjoy live without ls and sudo as Ubuntu tries to uninstall coreutils.

Tirea Aean

LOL it uninstalls ls and sudo for real?

*ok this is kinda getting offtopic xD we can talk more about distro fails in /computer-science :3*

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 07, 2013, 01:06:57 PM
LOL it uninstalls ls and sudo for real?

*ok this is kinda getting offtopic xD*

hawnuyuna'viyä

Back on topic...

The DNS settings now appear to have propagated far-and-wide (as far as OpenDNS is confirmed).

If you visit skxawng.lu now, it should give the server's default nginx page(the server name). Anyone want to make something to put there?

I am working on the mail server (postfix + dovecot + spamassasin), and was waiting for DNS records to propagate to allow testing.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on February 07, 2013, 01:12:31 PM
Back on topic...

The DNS settings now appear to have propagated far-and-wide (as far as OpenDNS is confirmed).

If you visit skxawng.lu now, it should give the server's default nginx page(the server name). Anyone want to make something to put there?

I am working on the mail server (postfix + dovecot + spamassasin), and was waiting for DNS records to propagate to allow testing.

skxawng.lu/ used to just be a public image upload service that looked similar to a tumblr page. I can't remember what it was before that.

What kind of thing are you looking for? A site or an image or..?

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 07, 2013, 01:18:15 PM
What kind of thing are you looking for? A site or an image or..?

Either is fine by me. Though an image is good as a place holder ATM (and quicker to make) whilst it is decided how much/what to replicate.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'm glad to see this being revived! Thanks for doing this, and if there is some way I could help, I am interested.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Swoka Ikran

When the service was first created back in 2010, the skxawng.lu domain was just this page of an RDA logo with "Coming Soon" written below it for quite a while before he changed it: http://raxdev.raxsoft.tk/temp/rda.html

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 07, 2013, 03:02:50 PM
I'm glad to see this being revived! Thanks for doing this, and if there is some way I could help, I am interested.
Thanks.
Once I finish setup, it (should) be pretty low maintenance to keep running, so the only thing I am likely to need is some monetary resources to keep the server running. I can setup a shameless donations page once it is mostly working.

Current status:
- DNS records correct
- SSL Certificates for mail.skxawng.lu generated and used
- Postfix setup and tested to be able to receive email (from Gmail -> skxawng.lu)
- Dovecot setup to enable remote login via IMAPS
- Postfix should be able to send and login to (untested)
- Spamassassin not yet set up
- DKIM not yet set up
- SPF not yet set up

Postfix is currently rejecting lots of mail that has been bouncing around the internet whilst the server was down (SMTP allows 7 days of failed delivery before failure). It is rejecting it because I currently have no way of knowing which emails are to valid users, and which aren't. (Waiting on Sir.Haxalot to assemble the user list from the old database)
Mail to me ([email protected]) and postmaster is working, but those are the only existent users.

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on February 07, 2013, 03:23:10 PM
When the service was first created back in 2010, the skxawng.lu domain was just this page of an RDA logo with "Coming Soon" written below it for quite a while before he changed it: http://raxdev.raxsoft.tk/temp/rda.html
I will put that image up now.

I am feeling tired of editing config files (been working on-and-off for it for the last 8 hours (minus a lecture)), so I shall stop after that today.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on February 07, 2013, 03:29:17 PM
I will put that image up now.
http://www.skxawng.lu ...looks like old times when it was just getting off the ground :)

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on February 07, 2013, 03:29:17 PM
- Dovecot setup to enable remote login via IMAPS
Will there be an option for a user to disable the "S" and use unsecured IMAP? A ways back when Haxalot's mail service was in its prime, quite a few of the old users used my Avatray, app to get new mail alerts for their skxawng.lu email. It doesn't support IMAPS. I'm not sure if there's still demand for that app, but if so...