Get yourself a @skxawng.lu email!

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, July 19, 2010, 11:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 21, 2013, 07:29:32 PM
any word on registration? I for some reason don't see an account database import happening.
I need to speak to Sir.Haxalot again, but have been rather busy the past few days (and will be this weekend, so nothing is going to happen until next week).
He was having the server delivered to him (should have arrived Wednesday), so that he could recover the VM and retrieve the data from it.

Tirea Aean

Ah ok cool. Thanks for the update. :)

No hurries no worries, bro.

Swoka Ikran

Was wondering what's been up. Good to hear Haxalot's working on getting the data :)

I'm in no rush, so take your time. College has been keeping me busy...

Also, FWIW, I did get T-dah mail to work with your server...had to code the security support and squash bugs relating to IMAP folders, but it works.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

hawnuyuna'viyä

RL caught up with me again.

Anyway, I managed to get a user/password list (don't worry, the passwords were hashed) from SirHaxalot and have now imported it into my mail server.

Anyone who did have an account (and can remember their password) can now try logging in and using the service again.
Anyone looking to register an account/recover their password will have to wait until I setup an interface for this.

Server details:
mail.skxawng.lu (You can also use any of imap.skxawng.lu, pop.skxawng.lu, smtp.skxawng.lu interchangeable if you prefer)
POP3 at port 995 (SSL secured)
IMAP at port 993 (SSL secured)
SMTP at port 587 (TLS secured)

Your username/userid includes the domain (e.g. @skxawng.lu, or @ke.skxawng.lu)
Your password is whatever you set it to. (Since MD5-CRYPTed I can't tell much about it). On successful login it will be automatically upgraded to SHA512-CRYPT for future proofing.

Spam-assassin will attempt to scan/mark your mails as they are received. (Current threshold 4.0)
Currently learning is turned off. (I will turn it on and configure it at some point in the future).

Currently there is only one mail server (no backup MX records), I will extend this so that your mail doesn't get dropped at some point (when I get some more time).
Currently there is no webmail interface (since there was too much personal preference involved to make it worth my time admin'ing it). If you want webmail use Gmail (there isn't a better interface), or use a desktop mail client.

Comments?
HN

PS. Donations towards running costs are always accepted, PM me for details.

Swoka Ikran

Any news?

Also, question for you:
Is it possible to have my old swokaikran.skxawng.lu subdomain CNAMED to point at raxdev.raxsoft.tk?

Asking because doing that would let me get the Na'vi Word of the Day Sigbars up again until the server gets sorted.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 25, 2013, 07:14:02 PM
Any news?
Not really. I have been busy sorting out my degree.
The mail server is still happily running. Mailqueue currently 70 long. (Peaked at 220 last week). Throughput of 0.03 mails/second! :)

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 25, 2013, 07:14:02 PM
Is it possible to have my old swokaikran.skxawng.lu subdomain CNAMED to point at raxdev.raxsoft.tk?
Yes, I have added you specially. Unfortunately HE don't allow DNS wild-carding, so I can't handle this in a neater way on the server for multiple users.

I am currently contemplating provisioning a couple of cheap VPSs as backup MX servers and DNS servers.
(Some way of automating the setup would be great. Chef/Puppet perhaps?)

Irtaviš Ačankif

pointhq does a great job with DNS and is very reliable and supports unlimited amounts of records, wildcard or otherwise.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Tsmuktengan

Thank you again for providing this mail service. It is really of a great help and useful.  :)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on March 26, 2013, 03:58:56 PM
Yes, I have added you specially. Unfortunately HE don't allow DNS wild-carding, so I can't handle this in a neater way on the server for multiple users.

Cool. Now waiting for my host to get its act together, hence the "HelioHost Account Queued" message when someone visits it. Stuff should start working when the configuration issues are taken care of.

I am currently contemplating provisioning a couple of cheap VPSs as backup MX servers and DNS servers.
(Some way of automating the setup would be great. Chef/Puppet perhaps?)
Sounds like a good idea. Any idea what specs would they be? As for automated setup, can't say much (Windows user).

Alìm Tsamsiyu

I tried to log in to the POP3 (I have my skxawng.lu email added to my Gmail account) on the new port (995) to no avail, just FYI.

My password was stored in the Gmail entry, so I'm 100% certain it wasn't an incorrect password issue. Anyone else having any luck?

Also, irayo seiyi nìtxan for bringing this back.
Oeyä ayswizawri tswayon alìm ulte takuk nìngay.
My arrows fly far and strike true.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Alìm Tsamsiyu on March 28, 2013, 09:37:57 AM
I tried to log in to the POP3 (I have my skxawng.lu email added to my Gmail account) on the new port (995) to no avail, just FYI.

My password was stored in the Gmail entry, so I'm 100% certain it wasn't an incorrect password issue. Anyone else having any luck?
Not sure what's up with POP. I just tried it with a PC client ("Failed to get mail") as well as telnet/stunnel (authentication failed after I send the UN/Pass).

IMAP is working fine. I didn't test SMTP.

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 27, 2013, 04:44:55 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Any idea what specs would they be? As for automated setup, can't say much (Windows user).
Small 128MB RAM VPSs. (Price range of 10-20GBP/year). Since I am getting multiple (EU and US), I don't really care about their reliability.
Looking more at Chef seems like it will do what I want (once I finish reading its extensive documentation).

Quote from: Alìm Tsamsiyu on March 28, 2013, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 28, 2013, 11:59:19 AM
Not sure what's up with POP. I just tried it with a PC client ("Failed to get mail") as well as telnet/stunnel (authentication failed after I send the UN/Pass).
Is this still an issue? I am not seeing any problems logging into POP3 (from my Gmail account, or directly from any of my US/UK ip-addresses). NB: I haven't done anything between then and now, so if it is working for you now, it is magic.

@Alìm Tsamsiyu: If it is still not working, PM me your email address and I will check the logs for you.

Irtaviš Ačankif

As I said, pointhq probably has better DNS than a random VPS; also DNS servers tend to have tons of repetitive traffic.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: hawnuyuna'viyä on March 28, 2013, 06:12:53 PM
Is this still an issue? I am not seeing any problems logging into POP3 (from my Gmail account, or directly from any of my US/UK ip-addresses). NB: I haven't done anything between then and now, so if it is working for you now, it is magic.
Must be magic then. It is working fine for me now.

Swoka Ikran

Argh. Not happy with my web host at the moment. They don't officially support hosting a single sub of a domain.

Sorry to have to ask again, but can I get that CNAME changed to point at swokaikran.tk instead? (That domain is a 404 error right now, but that should change to "Index of /" at some point).

Irtaviš Ačankif

Note that if you are on shared hosting, and you can't add "addon domains" to your account, CNAMEing would point users to a blank page, since many many sites are on one shared host, and the shared host doesn't know that swokaikran.skxawng.lu is "owned" by your pages.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Ithisa Kīranem on April 02, 2013, 06:00:09 AM
Note that if you are on shared hosting, and you can't add "addon domains" to your account, CNAMEing would point users to a blank page, since many many sites are on one shared host, and the shared host doesn't know that swokaikran.skxawng.lu is "owned" by your pages.
Yeah. Shared hosting (these guys)...the "Account Queued" message I mentioned in an earlier post is their version of the blank page. They use cPanel and the system doesn't know what to do with this domain. Without the ability to change the nameservers, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops for any shot at adding it.

Their CS said they should support domains without their name server if I use the subdomain as an account's "main domain", and point the CNAME to a normal domain that is on the same server as that account. Even then, the system is known to be picky.

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on April 01, 2013, 09:29:52 PM
Sorry to have to ask again, but can I get that CNAME changed to point at swokaikran.tk instead? (That domain is a 404 error right now, but that should change to "Index of /" at some point).

NP. Done.

(On my list of things to add when I eventually write some form of user admin system).

Swoka Ikran

It works. :) :) :)

Unfortunately I don't currently have a dump from the other sigbar tool, so I can't restore that (whether any of us will ever get our data is unknown, but I'd guess unlikely).

But, the word of the day bars are at least back for now. Up-time may leave something to be desired, but that's because my subdomain is currently on my host's experimental/dev server.

hawnuyuna'viyä

You might have difficulties connecting today. The VM seems to be under some OOM pressure, despite appearing to have plenty of available resources. (Perhaps a sign of an issue on the host?)

I have opened a ticket with support to see if we can get this resolved.