Help with translation

Started by Orino, January 19, 2010, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orino

Hello gyus

I just need some help with translation. Could you translate into the Na'vi the phrase    Spirit of Life    ?    I know the words Spirt and Life but I want it gramatically correct you know...

Irayo

suomichris

The "of" in English is a genitive (possessive), so we want something in Na'vi that looks like "life's spirit."  This would give us:

tìrey-ä   tirea
life-GEN spirit

Orino

Ok so the whole thing would be tìreyä tirea  or tìrey-ä tirea? does that - have to be there or it's like ' in English?

suomichris

Well, the English apostrophe is usually considered to be required, but no, the - does not need to be there; it just helps make the example clearer so you can see the different parts of the phrase.

Orino

Jessie Gibbs

Quote from: Orino on January 19, 2010, 06:20:32 PM
Hello gyus

I just need some help with translation. Could you translate into the Na'vi the phrase    Spirit of Life    ?    I know the words Spirt and Life but I want it gramatically correct you know...

Irayo

Kiliyä

Peu sa'nokyä ayoengyä?  Pefya ayoeng poeru kìte'e sayi?
Pefya ayoengìl poeti hayawnu, na poel ayoengit hawnu?

What of our mother?  How shall we serve her?  How shall we protect her as she protects us?

suomichris

Quote from: Kiliyä on January 20, 2010, 08:29:07 PM
Quote from: suomichris on January 19, 2010, 06:29:36 PMtìrey-ä   tirea
life-GEN spirit
Now that's a cool phrase...
Yeah, the Na'vi sounds cool... One (me) presumes that these words are related etymologically somehow...