How to type ì and ä with the Compose Key (in Windows and Linux!)

Started by Kame Ayyo’koti, February 19, 2014, 08:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on February 19, 2014, 09:22:31 AM
For Linux use this file from attachment. You need uncompress it and put in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols Then restart your X. To type Na'vi symbols use following keys:

Right Alt + a → ä
Right Alt + Shift + a → Ä
Right Alt + i → ì
Right Alt + Shift + i → Ì
Right Alt + o → º (Na'vi numbers mark)

Total genius right here.

Also, for people who want an alternative to do all this, I have made a keyborad here:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/projects/my-kxwerty-kbl/

Maybe you all know about it already?

(I'm still looking for the keyboards of old which replace j=ì, q=ä  and the one which does [=ì, ]=ä ) edit: added links cuz found them

DOUBLE EDIT: I see that the whole point of this is to not switch keyboard. Pretty cool. That's one of the major issues with mine: kxwerty syndrome resulting in tsrazy Ennglish like this. Nice idea, OP :)

Niri Te

Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Niri Te on April 30, 2014, 06:14:17 PM
Will any of this work on Chrome Books?

Unfortunately no. On my Samsung Chromebook, I switch between the US layout and US International (with dead keys) layout (using the Alt-Shift switching shortcut) such that to type ì, you type `i and to type ä you type "a.

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 30, 2014, 04:47:16 PM
I see that the whole point of this is to not switch keyboard. Pretty cool. That's one of the major issues with mine: kxwerty syndrome resulting in tsrazy Ennglish like this. Nice idea, OP :)

Actually there are two layouts on my PC: US and Russian. And I don't want more. So I created this layout with RAlt compositions. Also I added Ukrainian symbols in Russian layout in the same way :) So there are 2 layouts and 4 languages ;) :D
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Niri Te

OK, I'll just have to type without accents till I buy a new battery for the HP notebook which HAS a QWERTY keyboard set up for Na'vi. Ateyo can't use her large Bamboo Tablet with her Chromebook, but it works FINE with her Windows HP. Saving and sharing photos on MY Chromebook is a NIGHTMARE, compared to MY HP notebook. I think that the only thing that the Chrome doorstop is really good for, is playing Netflix movies. We will have to wait till next year to get a pair of TOSHIBA'S that DON'T have Chrome operating systems.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Tirea Aean

I have found, as a Chromebook user for well over a year solid (It has basically been my main machine and I do a lot of crazy things), that It's actually a pretty viable machine for the price. The thing about them is, you have to understand that they are basically a browser. I have found that photos are really not much of a nightmare at all. Especially If you have Google+ Photos auto-backup enabled. But even if you don't, In my exp., all you do is plug an SD card in, and upload straight from the card. And saving images is just the same as doing it on Chrome browser on any other system.

slightly more on topic, Chrome OS machines are great for the average person's average everyday workload. Installing custom Na'vi language keyboard is so niche and obscure that of course this is not something Google has considered to be made super simple. As I said before, I just switch to US International layout to type accents on my Chromebook. I can do it relatively fast as a habit these days. Of course it's not as fast as other methods, but it still works. And of course, while you're on the forum, you can always just use the dedicated provided [ä] and [į] buttons found on the Reply page. :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Kemaweyan on May 01, 2014, 06:31:04 AM
I see that the whole point of this is to not switch keyboard. Pretty cool. That's one of the major issues with mine: kxwerty syndrome resulting in tsrazy Ennglish like this. Nice idea, OP :)

Actually there are two layouts on my PC: US and Russian. And I don't want more. So I created this layout with RAlt compositions. Also I added Ukrainian symbols in Russian layout in the same way :) So there are 2 layouts and 4 languages ;) :D

I have done the same xkb thing on both my Linux machines, as well as a bunch of others for Dothraki, Valyrian and other less common international characters.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on May 02, 2014, 01:52:27 AM
Quote from: Kemaweyan on May 01, 2014, 06:31:04 AM

I have done the same xkb thing on both my Linux machines, as well as a bunch of others for Dothraki, Valyrian and other less common international characters.

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04. When I try to use Alt-gr + i to get ì, it just brings up the application global menu. I can't get it to type special characters with this xkb mod for the life. It makes me sad. It "works" only in the gnome-terminal, but it just shows the typical diamond with a question mark in it. <?>

Would this compose key thingy thing work on Linux ARM?

Kemaweyan

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Besides the update to the symbols file, there is usually another, higher level config that controls what the alt-gr key actually does. This can also be controlled in the appropriate symbols file, but sometimes I have had to play around with settings a bit, often in more than one place. The whole keyboard thing is one of those things that seems to get frequent tweaks. the good news is, it seems to be getting easier to build alternate keyboard layouts.

I am currently using Fedora 20 on both of my Linux machines. Fedora is going through some major readjustments, so I will probably be on this version for a while.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kemaweyan on May 02, 2014, 02:56:44 PM
Maybe Alt+i is one of standard Unity shortcuts?

From what I can tell, Unity swallows up the Alt-gr for operating the application global menu. Lemme try XFCE4 or something.

EDIT: perhaps all this off topic stuff should be split somehow? The thread hardly seems to be about OP's idea now. *shrug*

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Tirea Aean on May 02, 2014, 02:46:46 PM
I'm on Ubuntu 12.04. When I try to use Alt-gr + i to get ì, it just brings up the application global menu. I can't get it to type special characters with this xkb mod for the life. It makes me sad. It "works" only in the gnome-terminal, but it just shows the typical diamond with a question mark in it. <?>

Would this compose key thingy thing work on Linux ARM?

Ngaytxoa for the late reply, life has kept me busy.

I have no idea if this works on ARM, but seeing as it seems to be a built-in feature of Ubuntu I don't see why it wouldn't.

I think the problem might be that you need to enable compose key. I'm on 13.10, so the way I do it might be different, but try something like this: Open System Settings. Choose Keyboard, and see if there's a tab called Shortcuts. On the left menu, look for "Typing." The right panel should show a field for Compose Key. Here's a screenshot from my system:

Whatever key you choose as compose key, I think will disable it's functionality otherwise, so don't choose anything really important. I never use RAlt for anything else (and I can still use LAlt), so it works for me.

Let me know if that works.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Kame Ayyo’koti

I don't have a Chromebook, never used one, know next to nothing about them, so I can't really help. When I was looking into whether Python would run on Chromebook, I discovered a project that allows Ubuntu Linux to run on/in Chrome OS called Crouton. It seems to make Chromebook more of a regular PC, but requires some technical know-how to install and use. But with it you might be able to run regular (Linux) programs, and I imagine you could use a compose key in it.

That's the best suggestion I have to offer.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kerame Ayyo'koti on May 21, 2014, 05:21:45 AM
I don't have a Chromebook, never used one, know next to nothing about them, so I can't really help. When I was looking into whether Python would run on Chromebook, I discovered a project that allows Ubuntu Linux to run on/in Chrome OS called Crouton. It seems to make Chromebook more of a regular PC, but requires some technical know-how to install and use. But with it you might be able to run regular (Linux) programs, and I imagine you could use a compose key in it.

That's the best suggestion I have to offer.

I would highly recommend this and it's really not that complicated if you follow some YouTube or online guides. This is what I did to run Ubuntu 12.04 on my Samsung Chromebook.

I see. I'd say it would work on a Chromebook with ARM processor, or any chromebook for that matter, if it's a built-in feature of Ubuntu... Only thing is.. I kinda just powerwashed my Chromebook recently and just went with regular, non-developer Stable channel. Maybe soon I'll revisit crouton if I ever need to again.

What I'd really like to see Google do now, is allow keyboard customization in the same way the Mac does: All you have to do is put a .keylayout file inside a folder in your user's home folder and you can just all of a sudden choose it when choosing a keyboard layout to use from the settings.

Kemaweyan

QuoteOption + a then press a  = ä

Please fix this, on my Mac it does not work. But works this:

Option + u then press a  = ä

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-