How to type ì and ä with the Compose Key (in Windows and Linux!)

Started by Kame Ayyo’koti, February 19, 2014, 08:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kame Ayyo’koti

Na'vi uses some funny letters, and these letters might not be on your keyboard. So how do you make them?

You can write ì and ä many ways. You can:
  • when you write a post here, press the buttons on the ä or ì.
  • use ASCII or Unicode codes.
  • use a keyboard layout that changes or adds keys.
  • use a compose key.
  • use a special program that lets you choose letters.
  • copy and paste them.
  • use and do other things.

In this guide, I will tell you how to use a Compose Key to type them in Windows and Linux. If you want to try another way, go here to learn how.

First I will tell you how to use ASCII Codes, because they are almost like using a Compose key.

ASCII Codes

If you use Windows, you can use ASCII codes to type Na'vi letters. You do this:

• Push an Alt key. (Keep it pushed down.)
  • Type four numbers, one at a time, on the keypad on the right side.
  • Let go of the Alt key.
  • The letter appears where you are typing.

If one Alt key doesn't work, try the other one.
If you use a laptop, your keypad might be "on top" of the regular keyboard. To use it, try this. I can try to help if you have questions.

The ASCII codes for Na'vi letters are:

Ì =Alt + 0 2 0 4
ì =Alt + 0 2 3 6
Ä =Alt + 0 1 9 6
ä =Alt + 0 2 2 8

If you want to search this dictionary, you need to use a special letter for words that have ' in them, like 'fya.
The ASCII code for it is:
' =Alt + 0 1 4 6

(You can find more ASCII codes here.)

Now that I have told you how to use ASCII codes, I will tell you how to use a Compose Key.

Compose Key

A compose key lets you "add parts together" to create letters that you don't have on your keyboard. You do this:

• Push Compose key once. (Don't keep it pushed down!)
  • Type the "parts" for the letter, one at a time. You can use shift to type Big Letters.
  • The letter appears where you are typing.

The "parts" for Na'vi letters are easy to remember. On my computer, they are:

Ì =CKey + I + `
ì =CKey + i + `
Ä =CKey + A + "
ä =CKey + a + "
' =CKey + ' + >

(Your "parts" might be different.)

On American keyboards, the ` key (called "grave" or "back-tick") should be on the upper left (by 1).
On other keyboards it might be a different place, like the lower left or lower right. You might need to press shift or other keys to use it. You might not have it at all. I can try to help, but you may need to ask someone else how it make it.  :-\

(This page has more Compose key letters for Ubuntu Linux. Your "parts" might be different!)

Compose Key on Linux

You might need to turn on the Compose Key in your settings. Look in keyboard settings.
Read this page for help.

Compose Key on Windows

Windows does not have a Compose key by itself. To use Compose key on Windows, you can use this program: WinCompose

This program is free, easy to install and use, and works right after you install it. I use it on my Windows system and it works just like on Linux. :)

Click this to see my WinCompose tutorial:

Compose Key on Mac/OS X and Chromebook

I don't have a Mac or Chromebook, and I don't use them, so I don't know if I can help. :-\ I've read that they don't have Compose Key. You might need a program or something else to use it.

On Mac, you can try these:

Option + ` then press i  = ì
    Option + u then press a  = ä

This page has more.

Now you can pamrel si nìNa'vi!

If you have questions, I'll try to answer them! :) Irayo for reading my guide; I hope it helps!

If you want help learning Na'vi, look here. Read this too! :)

Happy Composing!

Ngeyä 'eylan, Kerame-Ayyo'koti.
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tìtstewan

Txantsan!
There are posts which is mentioned about that characters, though.
http://forum.learnnavi.org/beginners/fb-lm2/#post_characters1 (with MacSystem)
http://forum.learnnavi.org/introductions/basic-forum-etiquette-%28please-read-before-posting%29/

It depends which keyboard layout one have, but I guess this is for US smuk, right? :-\

Anyway, this is very detailed! :D :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 19, 2014, 08:51:19 AM
Txantsan!
There are posts which is mentioned about that characters, though.
Yes, I know the characters have been mentioned before. But most people use Alt codes or custom layouts to type Na'vi characters. This is an easier way to type them without having to use those. :)

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 19, 2014, 08:51:19 AMIt depends which keyboard layout one have, but I guess this is for US smuk, right? :-\
It should work for everyone, I think. You just need to know where the ` key is on your keyboard (so you can type ì and Ì). You're from Germany, and I don't know what your keyboard looks like. :-\ Does it look like this?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_Germany.svg
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Tìtstewan

For Windows, there is a program, written by Tirea Aean, which allows to write complete in Na'vi letters:

I use a German keyboard.
I already have äÄ letters and for Ìì I type ` + i

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Kemaweyan

For Linux use this file from attachment. You need uncompress it and put in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols Then restart your X. To type Na'vi symbols use following keys:

Right Alt + a → ä
Right Alt + Shift + a → Ä
Right Alt + i → ì
Right Alt + Shift + i → Ì
Right Alt + o → º (Na'vi numbers mark)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 19, 2014, 09:12:33 AM
For Windows, there is a program, written by Tirea Aean, which allows to write complete in Na'vi letters

Tirea said:
Quote...switch back to your normal layout with left ctrl+shift.
With his keyboard layout, you have to switch between your regular layout and the Na'vi layout. With my way, you can type ì and ä and there is no switching. That's the difference. :)

QuoteI already have äÄ letters and for Ìì I type ` + i
For you ` + i makes ì? I guess your computer already does it for you. It doesn't work for us (in the U.S.), but with my method you can write letters that way.

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Kemaweyan on February 19, 2014, 09:22:31 AM
For Linux use this file from attachment. You need uncompress it and put in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols Then restart your X. To type Na'vi symbols use following keys:

Right Alt + a → ä
Right Alt + Shift + a → Ä
Right Alt + i → ì
Right Alt + Shift + i → Ì
Right Alt + o → º (Na'vi numbers mark)

I can already type these with:
Right Alt + a + " → ä
Right Alt + A + " → Ä
Right Alt + i + ` → ì
Right Alt + I + ` → Ì
Right Alt + o + o → °

The files aren't needed with the built-in compose key system. You just need to set the compose key and it works. (I have Ubuntu 13.10. On other systems you maybe need to install extra things.)

Niri Te

WAAAY too complicated, I'll just wait till one of the computer guru's here makes a patch that I can download for my Chromebook, like I had for my windows computer.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Niri Te on February 19, 2014, 09:48:46 AMWAAAY too complicated, I'll just wait till one of the computer guru's here makes a patch that I can download for my Chromebook, like I had for my windows computer.
This won't work on Chromebook anyway. Although Chrome OS is a version of Linux, I don't think it has compose key built in. I'll add that, since a lot of people use Chromebooks too.

baritone

Compose key - the best way to take na'vi symbols for me. Thank you!

Kame Ayyo’koti

Tìtstewan

I've added a link to the "useful learning materials" thread:
QuoteMore detailed information about typing characters:
How to type ì and ä with the Compose Key (in Windows and Linux!)

For Mac you can add this:

Option + ` then press i   = ì
    Option + u then press a  = ä

Quote from: Kerame Ayyo'koti on February 19, 2014, 08:36:21 AM
For Mac/OS X, Tìtstewan says you can do this:
Technically, I didn't say that:
http://www.ccsf.edu/Departments/Language_Center/accentsmac.htm

As for Kwerty:
http://tirea.learnnavi.org/links.html

Niri Te

Ateyo and I are hoping that Tirea Aean comes with something like qwerty for Chrome books
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I've built a custom keyboard layout for Linux that works for a lot of international uses, and does not require the use of dead keys for most common characters. It provides for an alt-gr key, which I think is another name for the compose key (right alt on the keyboards I use). It requires holding down just that key and the a or i key (plus shift if needed) to get the special letters, plus many more. It is also optimized for Dothraki and Valyrian, as well as the special keys needed to edit IPA for Eana Eltu.

It involves replacing one file in your XKB symbols directory. PM me if you are interested.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kame Ayyo’koti

Updated the post. I added a link to your learning materials post, ma Tìtstewan, because you already have links to Tirea's keyboards and other stuff. I also added a link to the FAQ in case readers haven't found it yet. It's a great place for people to find things if they don't know where to look. :)

Tìtstewan

Irayo for mentioning that material thread!
Well, as for that kwerty thing, I had to do a little digging, because the old link didn't work...no reason why, but I found that actual kwerty from Tirea Aean, which I've posted already. :)

Well, that FAQ is a thing, which I plan to re-write it completely... :P

Kame Ayyo’koti

Yeah, you're right. His name appears under the title, and it says "Compiled by Mark Miller," so I assumed he did. I wanted to call it the "official" dictionary, but that isn't true. If it was official it would have been written by Paul or published by 20th Century Fox or something.

But it is kinda the official dictionary. (The Unofficial Official Dictionary? lol) It's the best one and it's kept up to date. The dictionary itself says: "This is the definitive dictionary for Na'vi."

I'll change the post, though, just so it doesn't give the wrong idea. In fact, I'm probably going to rewrite most of it, because it isn't clear and I seem to be confusing people.

Tìtstewan

There was once a discussion which dictionaries are the "official dicionary", The thing is, IMO, no one is "the" official dictionary, because they have the same sources (Paul Frommer, Cameron, ASG).
This mentioned dictionary is called as the "authoritative one", [I would call it better "most used"], but I will not cause such a discussion again...

Just call it "Taronyu's Dictionary", I think that's fine, since he has wrote it originally.

EDIT:
Call it like the official thread is called: Official Na'vi Dictionary
...this would keep away confusions...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I still call our dictionary 'Taronyu's Dictionary' out of respect for Taronyu, who is both a good person and a friend. I am also the master editor of the Dothraki dictionary, and I also call that 'Lajaki's Dictionary' (Richard's Dothraki name), and maintain his name on the title out of respect for his seminal efforts in creating it.

For Na'vi anywaay, 'Taronyu's dictionary' is indeed authorative, as decreed by Paul Frommer. That doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that other dictionaries shouldn't exist. it just means, if there is a variance in reading between Taronyu's dictionary and another dictionary, Taronyu's dictionary is the correct reading (although the dictionary itself is constantly being revised and improved). Just the opposite is true in Dothraki-- the wiki dictionary is authorative, and 'Lajaki's dictionary' is second to it (even though I edit both of them).

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kame Ayyo’koti

There. I rewrote the whole thing. Lu set sìltsan nì'ul. I also simplified the language so hopefully those who only know a little English can figure it out.

As for the dictionary... I'm just gonna "point at" it. People who use it will know what it is. :P