jMemorize - Flash Cards for Your Computer

Started by Tirealì'u, December 21, 2009, 10:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirealì'u

I posted this on the mailing list, but I'm going to repost this over here.

If you find flash cards to be useful when learning a language, as I certainly do, but you're not a fan of the old index cards... Take a look at this little, but surprisingly powerful, java program:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmemorize/

HawkPidgeon

Thanks again for linking us to jMemorize. I've been using it, and it is, indeed, very powerful.
Fìtsenge lu Eywayä kelku, sì fìtsenge lor lu. | Oel oeti kameie fa ngeyä menari.

Tirealì'u

As the Emporer has forseen. *nod*

... Wait. I'm crossing my fan-bases...

That's dangerous. Might lead to a total protonic reversa---Wait, GAH!

Brainiac

Quote from: Tireamorki on December 21, 2009, 03:33:46 PM
As the Emporer has forseen. *nod*

If you throw in a resonance cascade and a klingon warbird, then we can really have a party
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

wisnij

Better take off and nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

(Oh snap, did we just tie together three different Sigourney Weaver movies?  I THINK WE DID)
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

Brainiac

Quote from: wisnij on December 21, 2009, 04:09:11 PM

Better take off and nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

(Oh snap, did we just tie together three different Sigourney Weaver movies?  I THINK WE DID)

I was going to make a quip about crossing the streams here, but we have a spam forum for that :)
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

HawkPidgeon

I'm really loving how ultra-nerdy this forum is turning out to be xD
Fìtsenge lu Eywayä kelku, sì fìtsenge lor lu. | Oel oeti kameie fa ngeyä menari.

Tirealì'u

I love you all so much.

Quote from: HawkPidgeon on December 21, 2009, 04:36:28 PM

Well, durr.... What did you expect? :-)

HawkPidgeon

Quote from: Tireamorki on December 21, 2009, 04:41:22 PM
I love you all so much.

Well, durr.... What did you expect? :-)

A forum full of ultra-nerds, and nothing less. But I'm still glad it's turned out so great. Irayo, tsmukay. Fì'u sìltsan lu nìtxan!

Tirealì'u

Ngal ayoengru nìtxan meuiati zamungeie, tsmukan.

wisnij

Quote from: Tireamorki on December 21, 2009, 04:57:53 PM

When I saw this I laughed, because I immediately started thinking "okay, that's the subject, and the dative, and an object..."  Oe nerumeie!  :D

A nitpick, though: I believe it should be nìtxana meuiati because of the -a morpheme that binds adjectives to nouns.
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

HawkPidgeon

I have much to learn... I can see the words and what is what, but fail to understand the meaning of the entire phrase.

Tirealì'u

Quote from: wisnij on December 21, 2009, 05:06:16 PM
Quote from: Tireamorki on December 21, 2009, 04:57:53 PM

When I saw this I laughed, because I immediately started thinking "okay, that's the subject, and the dative, and an object..."  Oe nerumeie!  :D

A nitpick, though: I believe it should be nìtxana meuiati because of the -a morpheme that binds adjectives to nouns.

D'oh! You are correct! :-)

Man, so much for letting something go un-tagged... ;-)

Nume fpi sänume

Been using this program for a couple hours now, very very useful and ive got about 10 words semi-down. Irayo!

wisnij

Belatedly, thanks for linking this.  At one point I had the idea of writing a flashcard program to help me study Japanese back during college, but I gave up on it due to most languages being a pain to deal with Unicode and Java being a pain for lots of other reasons.  :D  Looks like someone did the hard part for me.

I've attached a copy of the current vocabulary list in a form that jMemorize can read in.  Go to File -> Import -> Tabular Separated Values and load the attachment.  If it asks, it's in ISO-8859-1 encoding.

Tiri

Me, too!  My language skills aren't the sharpest, so I am very excited to be in the company of so many great brains!

To the OP:  Thanks for the link, I'll need all the help I can get.

Antony

For a flash-card-like program on (K)Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install anki

Eyamsiyu

For those who read the message here before, I meant to attach the file here.

Anyway, this is a modified version of the previous posted file, with the words sorted based on their first letter.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tsmukan Ikranä

wow, awesome thank you, hopefully i can find something like this for my phone ( winmo 6.5 touch pro2 )
Seze
Tsteu Seze! Txur Seze! FKEU SEZE!!
Nawm ronsem lonu ta fkeu tokx, fpi Na'Viä fpom.
Mawey txur txe'lan, tswayon nìwin.
Set unil ftue.
Eywa ngahu tsmuke! ( Irayo! everyone who helped me edit this n.n )

Nume fpi sänume

woot! your awesome, thank you for doing that. I was dreading typing in all those words.