Kaltxì ma Prrnen! - Animal Learning Book

Started by Alyara Arati, April 09, 2012, 12:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Alyara Arati on August 06, 2012, 10:38:30 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on August 06, 2012, 02:30:50 AM
And you can make new changes again :)
On page 12 you write ..... "Kenten a atanit tìng". And we have nrr now

Good point!  I'll try to think of a good rhyme, and let you all know when I've changed it (again ;) )

Now it is officially updated, and the link at the beginning of this thread is functional and correct. :)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

I think there's typo on page 5:

srake lu nga ikran a tswayon nìkxayl ka taw fratrr
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Alyara Arati

Thanks for spotting my sloppy typing.  Once again fixed and updated in original post. ;D
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Alyara Arati

So, sorry for reviving a mostly dead thread, but I wanted to say that I am currently working on recording vocals to go along with the book.  They're not finished yet, but I'll keep you all updated.  Thanks. :D
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Plumps

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan nìwotx!!

Somehow, I missed this little gem of a work. I cannot say enough good about it!

I love the primitive crayon art. It fits this book perfectly, even though I doubt the Naʼvi have crayons (maybe they got these with the light beer or something like that).

The vocabulary is challenging...a lot of words used that you don't see every day. It is good to see these words used, as they are otherwise hard to remember.

One comment though: Toruk is conspicuous by his absence.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Alyara Arati

Irayo ma Eylan Afalulukanä!!

I'm so glad that you like my artwork and the rhymes!

Yes, toruk is missing because I couldn't think of another animal to go with him.  Fwäkì?  Seems inadequate.

I could also change "beloved gift" to "treasure" now that we have that word, in order to be closer to the original book by Mem Fox, but I haven't bothered.  Should I?
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Alyara Arati on July 27, 2014, 11:11:24 AM
[...]
I could also change "beloved gift" to "treasure" now that we have that word, in order to be closer to the original book by Mem Fox, but I haven't bothered.  Should I?

I don't see why not. Not absolutely crucial, but if it can be easily done without inconvenience, sure. :)

EDIT: Now that I'm going back over this awesome work... I have a question..

It's currently only marked as a noun, but can nguway be used as a verb or interjection or something or just a noun? Is it like moo or meow or cluck? or is it something else? :-\ ???

DOUBLE EDIT: actually, now that I've read over this, stxeli ayawne also makes a great deal of sense. I would not be sad at all if you chose to leave that as is instead of use tsyeym.

Alyara Arati

:-[  Okay, I guess since I'm reworking/rewording the book anyway, since Tirea is correct and nguway is marked as a noun, I might as well change stxeli to tsyeym.

You'll have to wait a bit longer for recordings, I'm afraid, since rewrites of rhyming things take more time, even when only one word is wrong. :(
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

I was only raising a question. In English we can say a cow moos and a cat meows. Maybe a viperwolf can nguway. Maybe the verb is just nguway si. That would make a lot of sense. It may be worth an ask in the LEP if we ever ask about animal sounds in there.

I actually like the warmer more loving feel of stxeli ayawne so if you don't wanna change that that's cool. But if you want to translate the original word treasure that's cool too. Like I said(not that my opinion should matter at all, really :) ) Both are good routes to take.

No hurries no worries on the recordings. :)

Alyara Arati

Okay, opinions requested.  Is this awkward?

Srake lu nga nantang alu txon'ongä nguwaytu?
Kxawm lu nga talioang a tul apxa soaiahu.

Also I think I'm going to compromise and say my beloved treasure, since I like the rhyme of ayawne with srane at the end.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

I'm not sure about nguwaytu even if it rhymes nicely.. :S

I like that compromise :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

nguwaytu is very appropriate there (Night's crier), except -tu isn't productive. However, especially because it is a form of poetry, I think I would go ahead and use it.

As far as I can remember, animal sounds have never come up in the LEP. But you have just gaiven me a bunch of ideas :)

If I have seen the original book (which I might have), I don't remember it. So, I don't know who you would 'match' Toruk to. We have nothing like it on earth, except maybe a jumbo jet ;)

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

but -tu is short for tute which means person. how does nguwaytu work? Maybe it's poetic personification somehow? :-\

Alyara Arati

I could also just stick with the original and replace the "verb" nguway with taron.  I only suggested the other construction because I thought taron had become boring, and I liked the sound of nguway. 

Just fin (fte ivomum nga) Tirea, I think anything that can be a brother can be reasonably considered a non-Na'vi person.  However, you can consider it to be poetic personification if you like and I decide to use it.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tanri

What about nguwaysiyu?
I know that "nguway si" isn't confirmed, but I saw it already used few times and it fits perfectly into language, like other -siyu words we have (tsamsiyu, srungsiyu, pamrelsiyu).

Srake lu nga nantang alu txon'ongä nguwaysiyu?
Kxawm lu nga talioang a tul nìwin apxa soaiahu.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I like that, too. I think it is better than -tu, now that I understand its derivation. The process for si is still nonproductive, but I would consider using it anyway.

Quote from: Tanri on July 29, 2014, 01:54:30 PM
What about nguwaysiyu?
I know that "nguway si" isn't confirmed, but I saw it already used few times and it fits perfectly into language, like other -siyu words we have (tsamsiyu, srungsiyu, pamrelsiyu).

Yawey ngahu!

Tirea Aean

Yeah. I quite prefer -siyu in this context over -tu. I think artistic/poetic license plus the fact it will be very understandable is enough to use it.

Quote from: Tanri on July 29, 2014, 01:54:30 PM

^ Sunu :)

And again, Perhaps we can get words like "nguway si" and "<any animal noise noun> si" via LEP. Also, maybe even more animal noises while we're at it.

Tìtstewan

One could just use that word like it is as there are other words whith "double roles" like ftxey (vtr., conj.), ketsran (adj., conj.)...
So, why not just "nguway" as verb? That would make possible to create "nguwayyu". :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Alyara Arati

I think Tirea is right in that Paul should have the final say.  Consequently, I have written to him, telling him that this is a minor matter only, but asking that he get back to me on the question at his convenience.  Thank you gentlemen.
~ Leonardo da Vinci