Le Petit Prince/ The Little Prince nìNa'vi!

Started by Rikxyu, May 27, 2010, 10:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikxyu

"Le Petit Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry is a classic children's novel that explores human nature deeply. It has been translated into many, many languages from it's original French writing... so why not Na'vi, too?

Written so that children may understand it, the book has a simple vocabulary. It may be easier than some undertakings and I am sure it would be enjoyable.

Oh, and if you haven't even heard of "The Little Prince," much less read it... then what are you waiting for? Go read it! It may look like a kids book, but it's got a great symbolism thing going on.

So who's with me?  ;D
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln
Just look at what happened to Quaritch...

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I remember reading that in french class  :), I'm all for the translating of it but I won't be of much help, I got my own little somethin somethin I'm workin on right now.   ;)
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Rikxyu

For now, this is just an idea. I've got to go find a copy of the book first.  :P

I thought that, if we need to, we can replace some of the character names with Na'vi names, like:

The King = Olo'eyktan
The Rose = Seze
etc.
The All Things Avatar Podcast has an episode 3 now! Download it here: http://radioavatar.podomatic.com/

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln

Plumps

That's a wonderful idea – I thought about that as well. It's such a wonderful and rich story, simple, elegent but with so much depth ... unfortunately I only have the German version and am not good enough in French to do that.

But I guess for that, we need way more vocabulary ... even in the first chapter there is »hat«, »snake«, »elefant« etc. Don't know if one would just na'vify that or wait for equivalent words ...

Rikxyu

Quote from: Plumps on June 08, 2010, 11:56:43 AM
That's a wonderful idea – I thought about that as well. It's such a wonderful and rich story, simple, elegent but with so much depth ... unfortunately I only have the German version and am not good enough in French to do that.

But I guess for that, we need way more vocabulary ... even in the first chapter there is »hat«, »snake«, »elefant« etc. Don't know if one would just na'vify that or wait for equivalent words ...

This is definitely true. It is a bit early to try this as a full-fledged project. I wanted to at least put the idea out there. (I still need to get a copy of the book...) Once I do obtain a copy, I'll try to do what I can with the first chapter and see how progress goes. We'll probably end up having to wait for a larger vocab.

Plumps

Quote from: Rikxyu on June 08, 2010, 03:17:32 PMThis is definitely true. It is a bit early to try this as a full-fledged project. I wanted to at least put the idea out there. (I still need to get a copy of the book...) Once I do obtain a copy, I'll try to do what I can with the first chapter and see how progress goes. We'll probably end up having to wait for a larger vocab.

That's true ... but so do the other projects as well ;) – Maybe it's more like trying what we can do and revise later when the vocab expands...

Thumbs up for the idea and I'd definitely love to help!!! – Do you want to try from the original into Na'vi?

Rikxyu

We can try for that. (You mean French to Na'vi, right?) I'm going to try to find both English and French versions just for the sake of comparison. I'm hoping that they are similar enough that the version won't matter much so we don't have to lock out anyone who may want to take part.* They may not know French.

*Ugh, what a horrible made sentence.  :P

Plumps

I don't think my French is good enough for that :P It's practically non-existent ... school is too long ago ;)

Rikxyu

Well, I don't think it would be horrible to do English to Na'vi. I mean, we translated the book for school too. Some of our local cheaters used the English version and did fine, so I don't think they are too distant from each other. Like I said, I'd like anyone who wants to take a part to be able to.