Dictionary Desktop Search App (Windows, Linux, OS X)( + online version!)

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, January 13, 2010, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awesome?!

Yes
14 (73.7%)
Yes
4 (21.1%)
No
0 (0%)
D:
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Tirea Aean

this app freakin rulez. i love that it recognizes infixes and adpositions and the such. but sometimes it is wrong about those. and it doesnt pull out ones like <arm> and <ìrm> but i expect all that kind of stuff to come in future releases. fantasticness.

KettleStrange

Oh wow, thank you so much for making this.  This will definitely help me get back on track with learning!
'A man should be upright; not kept upright.'

Neytiri Na'Vi

I downloaded the program. I run Linux (Ubuntu). How do I install this way cool desktop program???
Irayo, Neytiri.

Neytiri Na'Vi

Duh, Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks...
Irayo, Neytiri.

Tsamsiyu92

Bugs found:

There's no äng infix in tspang, but your app here says it is, maybe it's the "ang" in the end that makes it think so...

meoauniaea does not have a me- prefix, maybe you can make the thing skip the me- prefix checking when the word is starting with me in the wordlist.

Mevolav =/= mev<ol>aw, maybe support numbers, because vol is the only word i know of that has ol unless it's in perfect tense.

Also, have your dict app wait 2 seconds after last keypress before searching, because it's quite laggy while writing a long word.

I hope you can sort out those problems.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Noted, I have been thinking of doing some changes to how the list is displayed, which will solve false word prefixes and such. As for the laggyness, I will change the way of drawing, solving these problems.

However, this project is pretty much on hold for now, since I have more important stuff to do.

Tsamsiyu92

I might sound a bit "nazi" in my last post, but don't get me wrong, I am certainly loving this little piece of awesomeness.

guest2859

This thing is a life saver. Opening Adobe Reader on a slow computer is hell.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

The backend is now updated to use EanaEltus new SQL export, which for the end user means: IPA!

The updated dictionary should be downloaded automatically next time you start the program.

Kxeyo

Many letters aren't shown correctly, like ', ä or the "r". Is that my or the program's fault?
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

guest2859

Reporting a problem: Whenever I typed a word, it's not showing anything (not even for 'hello'). I checked and the dictionary file is there. Is it my computer or the application messing up?

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Hawnuyu Kelutrel on May 29, 2010, 10:36:34 AM
Many letters aren't shown correctly, like ', ä or the "r". Is that my or the program's fault?
Which OS are you using? Windows XP had problems in the past, but it should be fixed now.
Quote from: Ean Ikran on May 29, 2010, 07:43:53 PM
Reporting a problem: Whenever I typed a word, it's not showing anything (not even for 'hello'). I checked and the dictionary file is there. Is it my computer or the application messing up?
Same question to you, which OS do you use? Did it work before the "update"?

You could try to delete the words.xml file. The application will try to redownload it if it's missing.

Kxeyo

Quote from: SirHaxalot on May 29, 2010, 07:54:26 PM
Which OS are you using? Windows XP had problems in the past, but it should be fixed now.

Yep, XP. And it still doesn't work. For example, 'itan is shown as [||itan]
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Hawnuyu Kelutrel on May 30, 2010, 06:48:41 AM
Quote from: SirHaxalot on May 29, 2010, 07:54:26 PM

Yep, XP. And it still doesn't work. For example, 'itan is shown as [||itan]

I've experimented with my Virtual XP machine now, and it seems that the Arial font built in in Windows XP doesn't support all the characters used with IPA, except a few error that is due to faulty IPA from EanaEltu.

You can download the new version of Arial from http://sir.haxalot.com/random/Arial.zip.

Na’ringHufwe

Irayo fpi Fi'u!  ;D

This will prove very helpful as I continue to learn Na'vi.

Niltsan hasey!

hemmond

Oh. Irayo for that. I made shell-command for direct run of this app. And sometimes I'll make it a keyboard shortcut. :) But... I've an idea. What about more language-packs for this app? :)
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: hemmond on June 06, 2010, 04:01:31 PM
Oh. Irayo for that. I made shell-command for direct run of this app. And sometimes I'll make it a keyboard shortcut. :) But... I've an idea. What about more language-packs for this app? :)

Will come in the next release. :)

Now when I don't have anything to do in scholl I'll probably be able to find som time to work on this.

hemmond

Quote from: SirHaxalot on June 06, 2010, 04:06:01 PM

Now when I don't have anything to do in scholl I'll probably be able to find som time to work on this.

Work on Language packs, or work on shortcuts?
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: hemmond on June 06, 2010, 04:24:26 PM
Quote from: SirHaxalot on June 06, 2010, 04:06:01 PM

Work on Language packs, or work on shortcuts?

Language packs ;)

Na’ringHufwe