Dictionary Desktop Search App (Windows, Linux, OS X)( + online version!)

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, January 13, 2010, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awesome?!

Yes
14 (73.7%)
Yes
4 (21.1%)
No
0 (0%)
D:
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Tirea Aean

It is a search engine. it isnt a mind reader. it displays possible affixes first then possible words below...its just like google search when you put in a word, not every link is about what you were looking for...but you find what you are looking for tho. I would imagine that coding it to be perfect every single time would be INSANELY INSANELY difficult and complicated...for what it is, mad props to Hax, Tuiq and Taronyu.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Well, as mentioned, the searching algorithm isn't exactly perfect, and is aimed more at displaying possible result instead of the correct ones.
When I wrote this app my main target was that I wanted something that I could launch quickly and lookup a word someone wrote on the forums or chat, and take care of any eventual infixes and adpositions.

I had an update going that would update eventual slowness in the rendering (mostly noted on slower machines) and also use the infix positioning data from Tuiqs SQL to give more accurate results. However, that haven't been my top priority..

Tirea Aean

Quote from: SirHaxalot on July 24, 2010, 06:58:40 PM
Well, as mentioned, the searching algorithm isn't exactly perfect, and is aimed more at displaying possible result instead of the correct ones.
When I wrote this app my main target was that I wanted something that I could launch quickly and lookup a word someone wrote on the forums or chat, and take care of any eventual infixes and adpositions.

I had an update going that would update eventual slowness in the rendering (mostly noted on slower machines) and also use the infix positioning data from Tuiqs SQL to give more accurate results. However, that haven't been my top priority..

And That is exactly the kind of idea I like. A great app, opens quick...its just that (im guessin this is the complaint of those with slower machines) every time you enter a character, it updates the results...this makes it a hair laggy...im not sure which I prefer at the moment: to type in "ta" and get taron, and a whole ton of things that start with and have ta in it, or for it to wait for me to enter my word to show my results...could it be possible to give the user the option concerning this? say someone had a really quick computer, they can choose to have it update while entering, while a person with a slower computer can choose to have it wait until finished entering to display results...

I understand that this isnt at the top of your list, but I still support it and think its a great idea, and like where you are goin with it.

Tìmuiäyä'itan

Sorry, didn't mean to complain. It's a great app, just thought it was meant to do all those things, so I wanted to tell about... Never mind...
srungìri ftära tsyokxìl ngeyä
ke ivomum futa pesuru
lu srung skiena tsyokxta ngeyä
ulte Jesus a nerìn ayfo pamlltxe
san sutehu lu keltsun
slä Yawähu frakem tsunslu sìk.

Tuiq

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 24, 2010, 06:40:20 PM
It is a search engine. it isnt a mind reader. it displays possible affixes first then possible words below...its just like google search when you put in a word, not every link is about what you were looking for...but you find what you are looking for tho. I would imagine that coding it to be perfect every single time would be INSANELY INSANELY difficult and complicated...for what it is, mad props to Hax, Tuiq and Taronyu.

Oh, it's not *that* bad. It is possible to "construct" all possible verbs since Eana knows infixe position and all possible infixes - so it could just combinate them, adding them to the word list and then "kame" would find "kameie" and "kame", etc. pp.

Since I'm not delivering infixes in any way however it's rather difficult for others. Not to forget that combining all infixes will certainly EXPLODE the amount of words.

I won't even mention the possibility of affixes here - I think they are WAY too many.
Eana Eltu: PDF/TSV/jMemorize

Tsamsiyu92

Can you make it possible to make the text bigger? The i's and ì's are hard to tell the difference from when my vision is not good.

Mrrvomun

Quote from: Tirea Aean on July 24, 2010, 09:26:30 PM
Quote from: SirHaxalot on July 24, 2010, 06:58:40 PM

And That is exactly the kind of idea I like. A great app, opens quick...its just that (im guessin this is the complaint of those with slower machines) every time you enter a character, it updates the results...this makes it a hair laggy...im not sure which I prefer at the moment: to type in "ta" and get taron, and a whole ton of things that start with and have ta in it, or for it to wait for me to enter my word to show my results...could it be possible to give the user the option concerning this? say someone had a really quick computer, they can choose to have it update while entering, while a person with a slower computer can choose to have it wait until finished entering to display results...

I understand that this isnt at the top of your list, but I still support it and think its a great idea, and like where you are goin with it.

First off, irayo!  This'll be a lot more convenient than what I'm used to doing!

Now about that quote above:  I don't know if this slowness issue is just because of your computer, Tirea, or if it might be a bug related to some odd, unusual circumstances.  My laptop isn't 'slow' as such (dual core processor, 4 GB RAM, etc) but I get a significant amount of lag when using the program.  It does freeze after the 3rd character or so.  It's pretty strange, because I can play games like Audiosurf with no problem, but this program will make my both of my cores jump over 80%.  Perhaps there's a loop gone awry or something?  (Win 7, BTW)

Oh, and one more thing:  The IPA isn't working too well on my computer.  For example, the IPA of Tirea is given as:

ti.ËɾÉ.a

which...well...I don't know too much about IPA, but I don't think that's right  ;)

I greatly appreciate the work, SirHaxalot, as well as the @skxawng.lu email address!  I can't wait to see what else you'll do in the future!

--Mrrvomun
If I bork up what I'm trying to say, even if it's not relevant to the conversation, please DO NOT HESITATE to PM me, and you will get karma!

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Mrrvomun on July 26, 2010, 10:43:19 PM
Oh, and one more thing:  The IPA isn't working too well on my computer.  For example, the IPA of Tirea is given as:

ti.ËɾÉ.a

which...well...I don't know too much about IPA, but I don't think that's right  ;)

No, that's not it.  Do you have an IPA font installed on your computer (e.g. Arial Unicode MS or Lucida Sans Unicode)?

If you do, then IDK :-\
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tuiq

(To verify if you can 'see' IPA, you could also check navi_dict.pl. This might be an UTF8 related problem.)

Sіr. Ηaxalot

The IPA isn't woking in my local database either, so I'm guessing that the last update was malformed.

Tuiq

Well, I did something with the IPA and UTF8. I think it was because the infix part was broken - so, it is possible that the IPA is double UTF8'ed right now.

Tirea Aean

IPA for Tirea is working for me, i typed "tirea" within half a second (because I am so used to writing that word) and the program displayed it no problem within a second or two. it lags a tad because it restarts the search every character you enter.but yeah I see nothing wrong with the IPA. It must have gotten corrected. <Vista Intel Dual-Core 3GB RAM Laptop>

Tuiq

Mrrvomun

If I bork up what I'm trying to say, even if it's not relevant to the conversation, please DO NOT HESITATE to PM me, and you will get karma!

Tsamsiyu92

Option for font size, please?

Oeyä nari tse'ânga ke nìltsan

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on July 28, 2010, 05:29:59 AM
Option for font size, please?

Oeyä nari tse'ânga ke nìltsan

glasses/contacts? hehe I see nothing wrong with font...it is of rather decent size given the size of the program window. although the option would still be cool. Also, option to change window size would be great...I dont like horizontal scroll bars very much. Still no real complaints that have to do with its actual usefulness(imo)

Sіr. Ηaxalot

The window is drag resizable since RC2!

Some day though, a big update will come. Someday when I doesn't have any other projects going with higher priority!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: SirHaxalot on July 28, 2010, 06:44:40 PM
The window is drag resizable since RC2!

Some day though, a big update will come. Someday when I doesn't have any other projects going with higher priority!

FEYL?? I tried draggin it around earlier and it didnt work? now it works every time! LOL Lu oe skxawng, ngaru tsap'alute si.

Tirea Aean

It stopped working...what heppened?

i type in anything and it doesnt load...

hemmond

I have that problem few weeks. But... I hadn't time and then I forgot to it.
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.