Dictionary Desktop Search App (Windows, Linux, OS X)( + online version!)

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, January 13, 2010, 11:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awesome?!

Yes
14 (73.7%)
Yes
4 (21.1%)
No
0 (0%)
D:
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

AuLekye'ung

Is it possible to add in a tab on verbs (such as where the pronunciation thing is) to say whether they are transitive or intransitive?  For easy reference?
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Seze

Your Beta disappeared.  Just got a windows VM up and running so that I could try this, and the link is broken.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Seze

Your project website is also broken in Safari.  The header section shows up with the home and projects links, but below that I just see a blank green page.  Javascript issue it may be (I hate javascript with a passion :))...

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Seze on February 03, 2010, 04:59:36 PM
Your project website is also broken in Safari.  The header section shows up with the home and projects links, but below that I just see a blank green page.  Javascript issue it may be (I hate javascript with a passion :))...

Alright, I will take a look at this tomorrow, I should have gone to bed about 1 hour ago. :P

Seze

I just downloaded the beta v0.4 and it refuses to run on my Windows XP SP2 VM.  It crashes every time I try to open it.  Are there any other dependencies other than .Net 3.5?

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Seze on February 03, 2010, 05:06:58 PM
I just downloaded the beta v0.4 and it refuses to run on my Windows XP SP2 VM.  It crashes every time I try to open it.  Are there any other dependencies other than .Net 3.5?

It seems to be a problem with v0.4 and earlier OSes than Windows 7. I will start working on it as soon as I get a testing VM up and running!

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I have released a new version were the crash should be fixed. You also have to update to the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, wich resolves an major issue related to the multithreading.
The latest version can be found on the project page.

I have also resolved problems with Google Chrome and Apple Safari on the website.

AuLekye'ung

Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Ftiaronsem

Kaltxi

This program is really nice. Good job!
Unfortunately for this case is that I am using Linux^^. However it would be great to try to port this application. Since I am way to unexperienced to pull this of on my own (In fact I have never ported a win application before), I would contribute some code if some more experienced programmer would take the lead.
Who else is seriously thinking of porting the application and would be willing to code some parts?

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Alright, I have been thinking a bit on what to do if (when) the full dictionary will come out. For me to enter all of the words in the database will take alot of time, and have came up with a possible solution, a Web based data editor, were multipile users can add or edit words. If I make this, it would also be possible to export the words to other fileformats, I would even support custom ones, wich would make it possible to use as a "global" wordlist. This would probably require a little more planning, espesially on what would be needed to be stored in the database.

I have also started to look at Monodevelop, and Gtk#, for porting this into a Mono.NET application, that hopefully will run well on both Linux and Mac. This will probably bee pushed on if I decide to build a "collabretal" word database.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

0.5 Beta is here!

Go to the project page to download it now!

Quote0.5.0 Beta
- Updated dictionary. (Now based on CSV files from EanaEltu.)
- Updated audio playback database. (Ftiafpis spoken dialog V5.0.)
- Added support for prepositions, adpositions and infixes.
- Optimized interface when lots of hits are returned.

If anyone is interested in porting this to Linux/Mac, I will release the sourcecode. Preferably Mono.NET, since it will be possible for me to maintain it myself later.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

0.6 Beta is here!
0.6.1 Beta is here!
0.6.2 Beta is here!

Go to the project page to download it now!

Quote0.6.2 Beta
- Fixed the searching to do preposition, adposition and infix cleaning to early, to improve accuracy in some cases.

0.6.1 Beta
- Added -border argument to start application with a standard window.

0.6.0 Beta
- Changed window size and removed borders.
- Added animation on Expander.
- Improved search algorithm.
  - Now matches beginning of words before whole content.
  - Fixed some words being returned twice.
- Fixed "[]" appearing on words with no phonetic data.
- Fixed crash when trying to search before the application has finished loading.

The outlooks for an Mac/Linux ports is now very good! If everything goes well I will port this to C++, using the Qt framework, which should make it possible to easily compile to Linux and Mac version as well.

edit: Added the -border argument to start application with a normal window on request from muiäa tuteyä 'itan.

edit2: Minor update again. This time it fixes the accuracy of searching in some cases.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Thank you, and keep up the work on the Linux port. If I was more of a programmer, I would help you. At least, I can test things.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Notorious

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I can announce that it WILL be a Mac and Linux version. I'm currently working on rewriting the whole application in C++, using the Qt framework. I haven't been able to work on it very much lately since I have been busy upgrading my web server.

I will take this opportunity to improve the UI. Heres a sketch of what I have in mind:

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: SirHaxalot on March 14, 2010, 04:42:55 PM
I can announce that it WILL be a Mac and Linux version. I'm currently working on rewriting the whole application in C++, using the Qt framework. I haven't been able to work on it very much lately since I have been busy upgrading my web server.

I will take this opportunity to improve the UI. Heres a sketch of what I have in mind:

Thank you!! I have been having a fair amount of trouble getting a lot of these learning apps presented here to work under WINE. And I am not prepared to run VM's yet.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

judytuna

Your project page ( http://haxalot.com/projects?projid=2 ) isn't up at the moment ("The requested URL /projects was not found on this server."). I'd love to check out your application, so I'll keep checking back here to see if you've updated. Good luck with the webhosting endeavor =)

Sіr. Ηaxalot

It's up, but I lu klantig so I forgot to add .php in the url.

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Yes, there is a huge chance, but not by me ;)

btw, when I'm done with this porting, it probably won't be anything more than minor patching, updating of wordlist etc. I have a HUGE project pending.