Na'Vi: Rosetta Stone style

Started by Eyamsiyu, December 21, 2009, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyamsiyu

Ok, IDK about anyone else here, but when I was in high school learning Spanish, We learned the "traditional" method: foreign word translated to your native tongue (English, in my case), and then a mental picture.  Didn't work too well for me.  We've all (or I hope a lot of us here have) seen the R.S. commercials about how they do things: Foreign word and a picture/video showing you what the word means, and blah blah blah...

Personally, the Na'Vi language hasn't any "Rosetta Stone" for it, but wouldn't be ideal to try something like it, for those who just generally have a problem learning languages?  Doesn't have to be "software," per se: it could just be an online source.

Just something to ponder, and once I/you/someone get a hold of the language, maybe work on for everyone.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

HawkPidgeon

That's a great idea. Na'vi has a lot of foreign ideas for many of us, and learning it the same way we learn our native languages may be very efficient.

I believe Rosetta Stone uses a core program and then lesson files which hold the actual lesson information. Does anyone around here know how to make these files?
Fìtsenge lu Eywayä kelku, sì fìtsenge lor lu. | Oel oeti kameie fa ngeyä menari.

Tirealì'u

I've never used the software, but I had a similar idea... It would be handy.

Tiri

Quote from: HawkPidgeon on December 21, 2009, 05:51:00 PM
That's a great idea. Na'vi has a lot of foreign ideas for many of us, and learning it the same way we learn our native languages may be very efficient.

I believe Rosetta Stone uses a core program and then lesson files which hold the actual lesson information. Does anyone around here know how to make these files?

You could execute Rosetta Stone style lessons without having it tie into the software.  Might not be as snazzy, but I see this possible with simple HTML.  A sound plays, usually a word or phrase, and you have to match it with one of the pictures on the screen.  It will tell you that you're wrong until you match correctly.  When the picture pops up again later with the word, it gets easier and easier to be able to select it without ever hearing your native language involved. :)  We'd just need some creative people and a few volunteers able to pronounce the words for sound files. ;)

Tsmukan Ikranä

something like that would be awesome, because reading these words as a newb and actually have the pronunciation correct while reading them is just fail. It would help most of us tremendously to hear some of the basic words and and syllables expressed in that dialect.
Seze
Tsteu Seze! Txur Seze! FKEU SEZE!!
Nawm ronsem lonu ta fkeu tokx, fpi Na'Viä fpom.
Mawey txur txe'lan, tswayon nìwin.
Set unil ftue.
Eywa ngahu tsmuke! ( Irayo! everyone who helped me edit this n.n )

Eyamsiyu

Well, I doubt we'll have a true "Rosetta Stone" style way to learn anytime soon, but looks like we're getting close: http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?topic=131.0

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Mithcoriel

I'd also volunteer if there's anything I can help with such a program! Maybe not the pronunciation, as I'm a noob, but I could make a javascript framework. Unless there's someone out there who's way more computer-savy than me.

But guys: What we really need volunteers for is to draw or find all the pictures! I mean, we need un-copyrighted pics which clearly convey the word meant. So simply googling images isn't so great. Also, it would be nicer to have pandoran images instead of earth ones. For words like "finger", it would be great to have a picture of a Na'vi finger, and for words like "tree" it would be nicer to have a pandora tree instead of an earth one.
I already made some pics of Na'vi ears, eyes, nose etc. that I was gonna use for my own program. Those are easy to make, you can get em off the posters. But as I said, there's other pics that might be best drawn or whatever.

Also, of course, we'd need a thread (or this one) to discuss which words should come first and in what group.

(The pronunciation / sound files I'd worry about last. That would be something we can ask people to do once the rest of the program is finished.)

Anyone up for the project? :D
ayoeng ke-pivlltxe, sivi! (We must not talk, but act!)
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Walker

I can write in C++ and HTML if thats helps!
<TailFeathers>