Mipa Pamrelfya fpi Na'via lì'fya

Started by 'Oma Tirea, September 14, 2010, 02:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Below is another translation excercise, based on a text from Frommer.  This is another variation that doesn't use any alphabetic system.

Clues: First word is slä, last word is zoAysyayvi asìltsan, ma smuk :)

BTW, you can click on the image below for a larger version.  If that fails, you can just download the image for a larger viewing.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 14, 2010, 02:46:41 AM
Below is another translation excercise, based on a text from Frommer.  This is another variation that doesn't use any alphabetic system.

Clues: First word is slä, last word is zoAysyayvi asìltsan, ma smuk :)

BTW, you can click on the image below for a larger version.  If that fails, you can just download the image for a larger viewing.

how did I know that you would do somethin like this hehehe ;D It is quite strange. and arrowy XD it has some like mathematical geometricalness to it...hmm

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 14, 2010, 06:09:24 AM
It is quite strange. and arrowy XD it has some like mathematical geometricalness to it...hmm

Probably a description that would also apply to the Canadian aboriginal syllabics.

...any guesses at the text yet?

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Prrton

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 14, 2010, 04:38:08 PM
It is quite strange. and arrowy XD it has some like mathematical geometricalness to it...hmm

Probably a description that would also apply to the Canadian aboriginal syllabics.

I'm not sure if I'd technically call it an abugida, though, because the consonants hang on the vowels and not the other way around. I've never seen one work that way. An 'inverse abugida'..., maybe?

It's very legible.

I agree that it is stylistically reminiscent of Canadian syllabics.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Prrton on September 14, 2010, 05:16:04 PM
Slä sa'nokìri fpìlfya lu keteng. Po plltxe san tì'efumì oeyä sutekip nìwotx, ftxey Na'vi ftxey Sawtute, lu sìltsan, lu kawng sìk.

Lam set fwa Sawtute akawng holum, pum asìltsan 'ì'awn, ulte Na'viru set lu nawma eyktan amip a larmu Tawtute. Hu Sawtute a tsam lu hasey. Sìlpey Txewì tsnì tsivun set fko pivlltxe san frawzo.[/spoiler]

I'm not sure if I'd technically call it an abugida, though, because the consonants hang on the vowels and not the other way around. I've never seen one work that way. An 'inverse abugida'..., maybe?

Seykxel sì nitram ngengaru, ma Prrton

Precisely, it is an inverse abugida.  I'll explain the hefty details in the next post ye'rìn...

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

'Oma Tirea

This one is an abugida alphabet, but this is not your normal abugida alphabet, in that the consonants modify the vowels, and it is a really simple system to use.
Prrton refers to it more of an "inverse abugida."
Enjoy, ma smuk ;D

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

'Oma Tirea

Additional notes and finds:

This alphabet, because it is limited to what it can do in the consonants, may be consistently reminding you of the phonotactics of Na'vi, especially if you use it correctly.  I designed it as such to be able to say words with long vowel sequences like "meoauniaea," and also consonant clusters and codas, like "ftang."

However, this alphabet doesn't (yet) have stress markers, and the punctuation is currently the same as in English.  I am also undecided as to whether the alphabet should read left-to-right or right-to-left.  However, it is decided that this alphabet is written in horizontal lines, like many other alphabets.  Whether it sits or whether it hangs is also undecided.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

'Oma Tirea

...and finally, I forgot to mention...

This is the first non-standard, easy-to-learn-from-and-use, (inverse) abugida alphabet created exclusively for Na'vi ;D

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Reyi Pxaypxiwll

*blown out of the water*

*claps*

It is very beautiful to look at, ma 'Oma Tirea, and very ingenious.  The concept is a bit more refined than the little substitution cipher I scratched up... but I find it an honor that said little cipher helped inspire this thing of beauty, even as it is a little incomplete (you did mention it's missing stress markers.)

As you are following my little script, I will reciprocate and follow yours, 'eyktan/'eykte 'Oma Tirea. ^^

Pokey: *rattlefweeg!*
*hugs pokey*
Oel ayngati kameie, ma haryu.  Irayo.  Irayo.
Pokey: *rattleschwee*  Pokey says, "Hi."

Prrton

I have some questions:

• Your forms look very "techno" to me. They look very much like symbols that I associate with math/science/logic notation on Earth. Do you have some "back story" for where they came from or are they just an alternate way to try to write Na'vi? I did this with Japanese kana here. Japanese (katakana) is particularly tough because of the R/L distinction and the ejectives. Na'vi could be rather easily written with the Cyrillic or Greek alphabets too. And Lance created a Tengwar mode. Is your system for a specific context?

• Why did you put vowels instead of consonants at the "center" of your abugida approach? And, why did you choose an abugida mindset? With the abugida systems that I know (Siddhaṃ, Thai, Tibetan), and know of (Devanagari, Fidel, Khmer, Burmese), the core of each syllable is consonantal. The vowels are added diacritically to (or in the case of Fidel (of Ethiopian) bound into) the consonants. With the vowel at the center, your system feels a bit more like a regular alphabet to me. It's just read in a ZZZZZZ pattern. Of course, there's nothing wrong, or inferior about that. I'm just wondering about your decision-making/design process.

• Which 'Rrtan abugida systems most influenced your decisions?

Dreamlight

Quote from: Prrton on September 14, 2010, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 14, 2010, 04:38:08 PM

It's very legible.

I agree that it is stylistically reminiscent of Canadian syllabics.

Aargh.  I worked to decypher this (successfully) and find out it has already been done.  :b
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.