Matthew 26:25, The Communion

Started by Rain, February 22, 2010, 09:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

Kaltxì, ma ayeylan! Oe tìkin aynga srungri.

I have been given the opportunity to use Na'vi for a college assignment and I need to make sure that either my translation is alright or if it needs work. I'm writing a paper for Rhetorical Grammar 204 and I need to translate Matthew 26:25 into Na'vi. The passage my Bible contains is "As they were eating, Jesus took a small loaf of bread and blessed it and broke it apart and gave it to the disciples and said 'Take it and eat it, for this is my body."

My working translation is "Tengkrr ayfo yolomting, Yesus ( an approximation of Jesus) molunge hì'ì (bread?) ulte polänutìng nihawnu ulte molun'i ulte tolìng ne poanyä aylertu ulte polltxe 'Munge ulte yom, fi'u lu oeyä tokx.'"

If I need to correct grammar or ANYTHING else, let me know. Criticism is not only appreciated, but encouraged. I will only learn if corrected.

A thousand "Irayo"s

Rain
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Col Quaritch

rock on maybe I should get off my duff an get back on my project.

Rain

And what would that be? I've considered translating Romeo and Juliet, specifically Romeo's monologue under Juliet's window. Now don't steal my idea! lol

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Col Quaritch

Translating 4 Gospels into Navi. Then pdf them and put them up free of course site what ever it takes to reach a person with the word

Rain

Woo! 8) I say go for it. But as far as grammar goes, I hope I got the translation of Matthew right...not that my proffesor will know lol ;D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'd love to see the whole bible translated into Na`vi, which would be a considerable challenge (and one I would eventually like to help with), but the language does not yet contain enough words to do it justice. For sure, we will need some alternative Deity terms to Eywa. But then again, the bible has been translated into Klingon, so only time will tell....

In the meantime, I am so new I am still getting acquainted with basic stuff. However, I want to take a good look at what you have done, and learn from it.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Col Quaritch

Orignaly thought whole but you are right Na'vi at this time just dosnt offer us enough words yet. For now I'm going to start with my personal favorite book of John. And yea any help in putting this project together is greatly appreciated and much needed, something this large is really too much just for one person. I thought of using the new king James just simlpy most known and yet modern enough that you don't need marbles in your mouth to properly speak old English lol  ;D

pm me please any one that wishes to take part in this project.

Ps oh yea hehe despite my board name I realy am a nice guy.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 23, 2010, 03:02:43 PM
I'd love to see the whole bible translated into Na`vi, which would be a considerable challenge (and one I would eventually like to help with), but the language does not yet contain enough words to do it justice. For sure, we will need some alternative Deity terms to Eywa. But then again, the bible has been translated into Klingon, so only time will tell....

Oh god the irony that would be lol, considering how much the vatican was opposed to avatar. They'll get really pissed off if we switched God to Eywa in the bible. Someday...someday...  ;)
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Rain

Even though this has greatly deviated from my original topic, a Na'vi Bible is an interesting idea if nothing else.

However, my original purpose was to check and see if my translation of Matthew was anywhere near correct.

On the other hand, if we were to translate the Bible into Na'vi, which one should we do, the KJV or the modern?

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

pbhead

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on February 23, 2010, 04:59:14 PM

Oh god the irony that would be lol, considering how much the vatican was opposed to avatar. They'll get really pissed off if we switched God to Eywa in the bible. Someday...someday...  ;)

Well, "Eywa" and "God" are not quite the same... and say, theoreticly, if the bible you were making was going to be used to attempt to convert the Navi to Christianity, you would not want to use "eywa" unless you want to confuse the hell out of them... which (i am assuming here) is why the good colonel needs more deity terms.

It would be as if you replaced all instances of "God" with "Zeus/Jupiter"... just doesnt quite work... same with "eyaw" and most importantly, it would not preserve the same meaning... which means your translation is not quite a translation.

Col Quaritch

Quote from: pbhead on February 23, 2010, 06:23:40 PM

Oh fully aware that's unuseable word for God, or Lord but this what's going to make it worth the fun and challenge. Now I would like to give this back to Rain please forgive me would seem I inadvertly highjacketed your post, so for now let's get Rain oringial request they deserve it.

Well, "Eywa" and "God" are not quite the same... and say, theoreticly, if the bible you were making was going to be used to attempt to convert the Navi to Christianity, you would not want to use "eywa" unless you want to confuse the hell out of them... which (i am assuming here) is why the good colonel needs more deity terms.

It would be as if you replaced all instances of "God" with "Zeus/Jupiter"... just doesnt quite work... same with "eyaw" and most importantly, it would not preserve the same meaning... which means your translation is not quite a translation.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: pbhead on February 23, 2010, 06:23:40 PM

Good colonel? But yes, you absolutely got the drift of where I was going. tewti

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kxalatsi

This is making me consider translating the Heart Sutra (Buddhist) into Na'vi.  It's short, little more than a page.

I think I'll claim that project now but wait until I have a better grasp of the language.  The vocabulary probably isn't diverse enough for this either at this point.  The other problem is translitrating Buddha without B or D!

Kayrìlien

I'm not at all religious, but if anyone is just looking to translate something semi-Biblical, "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." is always the first thing that comes to mind.  ;D

Kayrìlien

Skyinou

Quote from: Rain on February 22, 2010, 09:19:35 PM
My working translation is "Tengkrr ayfo yolomting, Yesus ( an approximation of Jesus) molunge hì'ì (bread?) ulte polänutìng nihawnu ulte molun'i ulte tolìng ne poanyä aylertu ulte polltxe 'Munge ulte yom, fi'u lu oeyä tokx.'"
Kaltxì!

the first "yomtìng" seems wrong (and if not, the "ol" would be here: yomt**ìng"). They are eating, not given to eat. It's only "yom" and imperfective.
"Tengkrr ayfo yarmom, ..." or "Ayfo yarmom a krr, ..."

"ulte polänutìng nihawnu"
Well, that can not be translated so why not. But it is probably "pänutoling", because it is a verb composed of a noun + "tìng".  :P

I would say:
"ulte, (tsat) terìng poyä aylerturu a krr po plltxe san Munge ulte yom, fi'u lu oeyä tokx (sìk)."
"terìng" : in french, he speaked while giving, that's a detail here. English doesn't precise. But that change from all the "ol, ol, ol.."
"poyä aylerturu" : dative for those receiving, no "ne". If he was throwing it, maybe "ne" ;D
"a krr" : to not have to much "ulte".
"poltxe" : seems weird, because with "ol" it precised it is finished. "plltxe" give an still actual taste about his speak.
"san" and "sìk" for quoting. "sìk" is not absolutely needed, but can be required to make the quotation more evident.
Let's rock with The Tanners!

jasgor9

Rain

Quote from: Skyinou on February 24, 2010, 04:18:21 AM
Quote from: Rain on February 22, 2010, 09:19:35 PM
Kaltxì!...

Wow that's a lot of information, but I thank you, Skyinou. I'll get this all written downm and wade through it in the morning. It's almost 1 inb the morning here!! Again, I Thank You so very much for your help!

Erimeyz

Quote from: Kayrìlien on February 24, 2010, 01:03:21 AM
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

I can translate the next part pretty easily...

kxangangang kxangangang kxangangang kxangangang!

- Eri

Kayrìlien

Quote from: Erimeyz on February 25, 2010, 08:18:11 AM
Quote from: Kayrìlien on February 24, 2010, 01:03:21 AM
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

I can translate the next part pretty easily...

kxangangang kxangangang kxangangang kxangangang!

- Eri

SRANE! At least someone got the reference...

"Kortrr Pawntrr hu tsis" nìFransey slu upe?
"Royäl hu tsis."

Kayrìlien