Project synthesis - An automated ongoing list of needed words.

Started by neosis666, March 03, 2010, 08:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neosis666

One thing that stuck out to me, although for now we may be providing a list of words we would like, we are still going to come across words which we will need in the future.

With such I scoped out some basic design ideas this morning on how this could be done.

I have a basic layout now for an web database with a smart filter where by when users cannot find a word they need in Na'vi they can enter the english equivilent and it will then get saved to a database, the more people who enter the same word, the higher ranked it gets ect, so over time, the more common words people need are ranked higher so we can submit those words to Pawl.

It will also have a filtering system where by words we already have are excluded by being added in, and the user will be notified of the Na'vi word.

The aim is to have this as an easily accessible, quick form to fill in, eventually from your Desktop widgets, as a small application or something.

Would something like this be any use? I can probably have something put together in a few days time, but only if it would get used. I would also take suggestions on features it can manage.

Let me know

Neosis

'eylan na'viyä

frommer told us to create a list of word-concepts rather than a plain list. so it would be hard to do an automatic rating.
maybe something like a wiki would be usefull in order to store and categorise everything

neosis666

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on March 03, 2010, 08:15:25 AM
frommer told us to create a list of word-concepts rather than a plain list. so it would be hard to do an automatic rating.
maybe something like a wiki would be usefull in order to store and categorise everything

give me some credit  ::) This has already been accounted for.

wm.annis

Quote from: neosis666 on March 03, 2010, 08:10:01 AMWould something like this be any use? I can probably have something put together in a few days time, but only if it would get used. I would also take suggestions on features it can manage.

Right now the basic infrastructure for this particular project (I'm calling it "the 1000-word Dash") is pretty much in place, but thanks for your offer of software development!

My thinking does not currently extend beyond March 12th.

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: neosis666 on March 03, 2010, 08:10:01 AMWould something like this be any use? I can probably have something put together in a few days time, but only if it would get used. I would also take suggestions on features it can manage.

Sounds very cool, especially if it was combined with an online dictionary that basically collected search strings so we could figure out what people were looking for as they learned.

Moved it here so it wouldn't get lost in the fray.

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

neosis666

Quote from: Keylstxatsmen on March 03, 2010, 12:56:37 PM

Sounds very cool, especially if it was combined with an online dictionary that basically collected search strings so we could figure out what people were looking for as they learned.

-Keyl

Nice idea, will talk with Taronyu about this

Payoang

Quote from: Keylstxatsmen on March 03, 2010, 12:56:37 PM

-Keyl

There's a project I've been working on for weeks, which I hope to have done very soon. Neosis-  thanks for your offer, but the forums suffice for now. Annis and Prrton (and possibly others) will compile the final list for Frommer and we'll move from there.

Locked.