My Project: Na'vi Language Book

Started by AP Nova, February 07, 2011, 11:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP Nova

Kaltxì ma eylan!

Some time ago I had the idea of collecting the rules of the language in a central reference, so everyone is able to look things up easily instead of having to search things. During the last weeks I started working on that project and I already received much positive feedback when I just released a "what it could look like"-version, created to find out whether such a project is a good idea or not. By now the book became much more advanced so that one could think of making it known to the whole community instead of only the German-speaking part of it.

But know there is a problem: First of all somebody has to translate the complete thing, I could do it, but I think it will be better if someone who knows English better than me translates it.
Then we have to define a certain structure regarding updates of the book: It could become problematic if it is updated bidirectional, so one should say that changes are first added to one version, then translated into the other.

So first of all: Who would like to translate it? Maybe you could work together (correct mistakes/discuss better ways of translating something) or everyone could work on a part of the complete translation.

The newest version of the Na'vi Language Book is attached, but as I said it is written in German.

Eywa ayngahu

link to the German thread: Das "Na'vi Sprachbuch"

Eltu Lefngap Makto

'Ivong, Na'vi!

AP Nova

I didn't know about it, but nevertheless my project seems a bit different to that one. It is constructed differently and to me it seems as if Wm.Annis' Horen leNa'vi would use more linguistic terms, I tried to use terms which are as "normal" as possible, so more people are able to understand it.

Nevertheless, if most people consider my project useless I will stop working on it.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

I saw what you answered me in the German forum and thought I should come propose my help as a translator here. :)

Well, I personally really don't think it's useless! I believe many summary documents can be nice, because one of them might work better for a specific person because of the original way in which it is organized. I am sure your document would appeal to certain readers and particularly help them, even if the concept is not entirely new. :)

AP Nova

Maybe you could start translating, it seems as if nobody else wants to do that. We can talk about details in ICQ.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Okay, great! :D Then I shall probably begin this weekend. :)

AP Nova

How far have you come regarding the translation, ma Ftxavanga Txe'lan?

I think it would be nice if we had at least the first "chapter" translated, so the English-speaking part of LN can make their own opinion.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

I'm at half of the first chapter! :o The beginning has been very difficult for me, and I have spent a long time trying to figure it out although there are still uncertainties about it. I think I might be able to finish the rest today though, because the explanatory sections are easy and quick to make. I'll post the result not later than after-tomorrow. :)

EDIT
I've just finished up to 1.6, so I thought I could already show what I've done. I'm simply going to copy the content in this message since I don't know very well how I could put everything in a readable format yet. :)

There are still elements that I haven't been able to translate. Things that I tried to translate but am still not sure about are in green and german words/sentences that I have no idea how to say in English are orange. Also, do the word "adposition" exist in English? :/ I don't know the equivalent.

CONTENT INDEX

PREFACE

CONTENT

AP Nova

Thanks for your help, maybe the nature of this project becomes a bit clearer now. Even if not translated and formatted absolutely equally, it should be able to give a first impression and I'd like to hear opinions about whether it would make sense to continue working on a translation or not.

"Mistakes" and other things I'd like to change:

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Thank you very much for the corrections, ma AP Nova. :) I have edited the entire first part, and have just finished what was remaining for the first chapter. Again some things remain uncertain and there might be other mistakes, but it still gives a pretty good idea! :D

CONTENT INDEX

PREFACE

CONTENT

CONTENT II - NEW & UNCORRECTED

AP Nova

So now that the first part is complete, the others hopefully say something and if the feedback is positive we could continue translating, improve some details and adapt the formatting to the one of the original.