Na'vi Pocketmod guide

Started by MidnightLightning, January 04, 2010, 04:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightLightning

Thanks to everyone who contributed their critiques for this; I didn't actually stop to thank people for that yesterday. I do appreciate the feedback and knowing that my hard work is paying off!

Quote from: Erimeyz on January 13, 2010, 06:32:49 PM
Don't actually say "<NOUN>", just make a blank line: _______

The one thought I had is that a newcomer might not understand why the "fill in the noun" lists you lay out on page 3 and 4 are different. If instead you combine them into one list, with the left-facing page having the sentence fragments ("I like your [Noun-ACC].", "My [Noun] broke."), then the "[Noun]" and "[Noun-ACC]" tags can be color-coded to the background color of the two noun lists on the right-facing page. Thus if someone knows "I want to say something about this noun", they only have to scan through one list of English phrases to find the one that best fits, and then follow the color code to know which list to jump to, to grab a noun to fill in.

The back of the pocketmod could be all the instructions for the various sections (i.e. an appendix), or the one-page pronunciation page, since that page is the easiest to flip to, it might be best to consolidate the information there. But then again for a new learner, a page of instructions on how to use this guide, followed by a page of pronunciation would be the best way to start off, and might be a more intuitive progression for left-to-right, beginning-to-end readers.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Lukxasì

someone know the font's name of the pocket guide???

Irayo

Ftiafpi

Quote from: lucas050591 on January 14, 2010, 10:22:35 AM

Irayo

which ones, I see at least two in there.

Erimeyz

Quote from: MidnightLightning on January 14, 2010, 08:35:40 AMThus if someone knows "I want to say something about this noun", they only have to scan through one list of English phrases to find the one that best fits, and then follow the color code to know which list to jump to, to grab a noun to fill in.

BRILLIANT!

(I'm going to get tired of saying this...)

(No I'm not.)  Brilliant!  BRILLIANT, I tell you!

- Eri

MidnightLightning

Are you talking about the Pocketmod guide that this thread is about (and linked to in the first post of this thread)? Or the "Learn Na'vi Pocket Guide" linked from the front page of LearnNavi.org? If you're talking about the Pocketmod guide, that uses Gill Sans for the body text, while the Pocket Guide uses Times New Roman.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

MidnightLightning

New versions! Including the following updates:

• Added note to trill rr to the pronunciation page
  • Renamed "Nouns" and "Verbs" to "Noun Modifiers" and "Verb Modifiers" to be more accurate
  • Examples added for me+ ay+ and le- (and as such, moved pronouns to the next page, so Lenition could fit with "Noun Modifiers")
  • Fixed spelling of "Genitive"
  • Changed "words" to "language" in example phrases
  • Added "Word Order" section along with sample phrases
  • "People affected by" example changed to "(tarontu = the hunted; prey)"
  • Example added for ke

HTML_Earth

Quote from: MidnightLightning on January 14, 2010, 11:33:32 AM
Are you talking about the Pocketmod guide that this thread is about (and linked to in the first post of this thread)? Or the "Learn Na'vi Pocket Guide" linked from the front page of LearnNavi.org? If you're talking about the Pocketmod guide, that uses Gill Sans for the body text, while the Pocket Guide uses Times New Roman.

It seems to me that he means the font for the logo.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: HTML_Earth on January 14, 2010, 11:47:46 AM

Papyrus font then.

QuoteNew versions! Including the following updates:

AWESOME! Irayo.
Edit: Wait, where did they go?
Edit again: And now they're back, mmm, you must have been editing them or something, nevermind.

Lukxasì

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 14, 2010, 11:50:34 AM
Quote from: HTML_Earth on January 14, 2010, 11:47:46 AM

Papyrus font then.

QuoteNew versions! Including the following updates:

AWESOME! Irayo.
Edit: Wait, where did they go?
Edit again: And now they're back, mmm, you must have been editing them or something, nevermind.

Irayo, Man it's really this Papyrus font!

MidnightLightning

Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 13, 2010, 03:33:17 PM
Yes, perhaps a more "propaganda" style one would work better. Even a little leaflet style one to save on paper. It would be awesome if we could get a small book (very small) together of useful basic stuff to hand out at Cons and such that I'm sure some of us will be attending. It could be our own "Little Red Book", only we could call it the "Little Blue Book". We need an active member that works somewhere that could donate us small book printing :P
LuLu.com does 'on demand' printing, which I've used in the past with some very high-quality results. The smallest paperback size they have is 4.25" x 6.875" (which they call "Pocket"), which can have a "perfect bound" binding (standard commercial-grade paperback book glue binding on a 90 degree angle from the pages) if it has more than 40 pages (up to 740). A 40-page, Pocket sized, perfect bound book with full color covers and black and white insides can be printed for $5.30 each.

If there were less pages, a perfect binding couldn't be used, and therefore a Pocket size couldn't be used. If say you wanted to print out this 8-page guide, you'd have to go up to an "A5" size (5.833" x 8.264"), which can be saddle-stitched (printed on paper twice the width, then folded in half and stapled in the middle). An 8-page, A5 sized, saddle-stitched booklet with full color covers and black and white insides runs $4.66 each.

For both, the majority of the cost is the binding, so adding more pages is very cheap (an 80-page, pocket sizeed, perfect bound book would only cost $6.10).

Nume fpi sänume

Hmmmm not really cost efficient when I want to hand them out =/ Quick, someone on here must be a multi-millionaire that can "Donate" these to us and write it off their taxes.

MidnightLightning

Papyrus font then.

Yes, Avatar contributed to the overuse of Papyrus in general (there's some minor modifications to the font, but it's pretty close). With the practical upshot that practically anyone can emulate the AVATAR logo now, and the downside of typographers cringing at having to read subtitles in Papyrus (which should only be used as a headline font, and not as body text).

Ftiafpi

Quote from: MidnightLightning on January 14, 2010, 12:08:24 PM
Papyrus font then.

Yes, Avatar contributed to the overuse of Papyrus in general (there's some minor modifications to the font, but it's pretty close). With the practical upshot that practically anyone can emulate the AVATAR logo now, and the downside of typographers cringing at having to read subtitles in Papyrus (which should only be used as a headline font, and not as body text).

I honestly didn't care about the font, I mean it's a movie subtitle, not a thesis paper.

Erimeyz

Put me down as a Papyrus fan.  Those snobby typographers can pound sand.

I also like Chicken McNuggets and french fries.

MidnightLightning

I spun off the 'propaganda' idea into a separate thread over here, and uploaded a preliminary version, if people want to take a look at that.

Erimeyz

Woot!  Awesome, I like the design.  The rest is "merely" a matter of choosing and translating phrases and words.

Should be a snap, right? ;)

- Eri

Skxawng Hawnuyu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 14, 2010, 12:12:23 PM
Quote from: MidnightLightning on January 14, 2010, 12:08:24 PM
Papyrus font then.

I honestly didn't care about the font, I mean it's a movie subtitle, not a thesis paper.
Cool thing is... i've been using papyrus almost years before i knew about AVATAR... now i'm in love even more :3!
-Oe Skxawng Lu.
-Ma Luke, oe lu ngeyä sempul.
-http://khalypso.deviantart.com/art/Create-a-Na-vi-Avatar-150133931

HTML_Earth

You can add the trial forms to the guide now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%27vi_language#Pronouns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%27vi_language#Number

It's Pxe-

Quote from: wm.annis on January 20, 2010, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: Ikran on January 20, 2010, 11:11:28 AMSource?

Via email from Frommer.  Note also the alternate form of ayoeng.

It is a very irritating feature of the current Wikipedia page that it has several valuable bits of info from Frommer, but isn't carefully sourced.

EDIT: We now have all of the numbers and some other things. But it seems MidnightLightning hasn't posted since the 18th.

Ftiafpi

Some things I've noticed that should be updated in the pocket mod guide:

MidnightLightning

Quote from: HTML_Earth on January 20, 2010, 02:46:27 PMBut it seems MidnightLightning hasn't posted since the 18th.
Yup, been lurking rather than posting; my day job has a conference next week I've been preparing for, so will likely get back to Na'vi work after that's finished.