Na'vi Pocketmod guide

Started by MidnightLightning, January 04, 2010, 04:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

So, has this been abandoned? If so I'll take it up and update it.

Nawm Nantang

I love the pocket guide, it makes it easy to learn Na'vi without a computer.
old gallery link?id=470[/img]

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Ftiafpi on May 12, 2010, 09:21:10 AM

Abandoned...  resurrected...  and hopefully updated and put back on the main LN website.  I haven't seen it yet.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ftiafpi

yeah, I've been meaning to get to this but, unfortunately it's low on my priorities. However, I have vowed this week to make a big push and get somewhat caught up on various tasks.

MidnightLightning

Quote from: Ftiafpi on May 12, 2010, 09:21:10 AM
Haven't visited in a while, but not abandoned; the only update suggestion that I saw was "Trial" forms and numbers, which may or may not be best in a "getting started" guide, but could be another variant. If there's other suggestions/corrections, I'd be glad to add them.

EDIT: I see Ftiafpi had a summary post with some suggestions in it; I'll take a look at those in the next few days and get an updated version out.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Ftiafpi

Ahhh, cool, I was just thinking about this project this morning.

MidnightLightning

Uploaded a new version!

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMUpdate the affixes for all the new stuff we have:
Added le-; some of the others I'm not even sure of the usage or how commonly they come up (what is a "gerund (verbal noun) deriving affix (Productive)")?

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMThe trial pronouns:
Added

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMHow to say "I love you":
How to say "what is your name" and "my name is":
Added

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMPerhaps some numbers:
Added kew through pxevohin (0-37 octal, 0-31 decimal) in a nice grid

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMThe spelling of peyfa is wrong, apparently this was a mistake from early on that was changed. It should be pefya.
Updated

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMUpdate the noun modifiers to the new allomorphs that we have (such as the dative ru/ur/r and the trial affix I believe are the ones to be added)
Can someone more fully explain this to me? The dative -ru is already in there. Is "trial" meaning "three of" or "I'm going to try this"?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Ftiafpi

Quote from: MidnightLightning on August 13, 2010, 12:12:57 PM
Uploaded a new version!

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMUpdate the affixes for all the new stuff we have:
Added le-; some of the others I'm not even sure of the usage or how commonly they come up (what is a "gerund (verbal noun) deriving affix (Productive)")?

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMThe trial pronouns:
Added

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMHow to say "I love you":
How to say "what is your name" and "my name is":
Added

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMPerhaps some numbers:
Added kew through pxevohin (0-37 octal, 0-31 decimal) in a nice grid

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMThe spelling of peyfa is wrong, apparently this was a mistake from early on that was changed. It should be pefya.
Updated

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AMUpdate the noun modifiers to the new allomorphs that we have (such as the dative ru/ur/r and the trial affix I believe are the ones to be added)
Can someone more fully explain this to me? The dative -ru is already in there. Is "trial" meaning "three of" or "I'm going to try this"?

The various forms of -ru, such as -ru/ur/r and the trial affix (3 of a kind) pxe+

I'd skip the gerund for now, but that's just me.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Has this pocket guide been translated in French yet? If not, I propose myself to do it. :)

Tirea Aean

Great start. Reminds me of a longer, better version of the compendium.Theres some old stuff in this version its sources possibly being the compendium,and an early NiaN. and as always, some sketchy pronunciation guide info. I vote another version of this to reflect information in the latest NiaN.

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on October 27, 2010, 07:19:42 PM
Has this pocket guide been translated in French yet? If not, I propose myself to do it. :)

Doesnt look like it.

MidnightLightning

Epic level thread necromancy!

So, I got pinged via email from Tirea Aean that there was interest my Pocketmod guide again, and skimming through some of the responses in the last four years, it seems there was some significant shifts in the knowledge of the language that makes the current version of the Pocketmod wrong? I haven't been following the Na'vi language/community in the intervening years, but I'd be happy to lend my graphic design expertise to keep this resource relevant. I might take some time to re-familiarize myself with (the updated) Na'vi and see if I can find the inconsistencies myself, but if someone already has them in mind, feel free to share and I'll update these guides for general use.

Tìtstewan

I took a look at the Na'vi pocket_digital.pdf file.

Noun modifiers
probably useful to mention, that the genetive on pronouns mostky become to -eyä - nga - ngeyä, po - peyä
le-, -an and -e aren't productive (one cannot use them freely)
*lehufwea atxkxe is not really possible

what I would add: nì- is productive on adjectives. (makes adj. to an adverb)

The lenition part:
No lenition if: 'll or 'rr (the apostrophe can't drop)
mì+ 'Rrta

Adposition:
ta'em is an adverb not an adposition, so it cannot stick after a noun.
mì+
ìlä+
fpi+

cause lenition

We have some more adpositions...

Pronouns
Dual, 2nd: menga instead ??

trial:
1st pxoe
1st incl. pxoeng
2nd pxenga
3rd pxefo

Tense:

Future perfective
<ìry> a action is compleded in the near future
<ary> " in the future

future infixes if one have a intention to do:
<ìsy>
<asy>

Negative part:
it should be kea utral = no tree (ke is limited productive as prefix with adjectives and adverbs)
tì- is not productive, only in combination with the infix <us> which creates gerund tìtusaron - hunting (the action of)
le- (already mentioned) and -tu also not productive.

Useful phrases

What is "Mìfìtseng"? Mì fìtseng / Fìtsengmì, kefyak?

----

I would remove the diacritics like é or ú on the letters expect tuté

As for the pronunciation, I'm not sure, as I'm not a native english speaker *looking at Tirea* :P
I hope I didn't overlooked something.
As for more information about affixes, I would mention this thread: Easy Guide to Na'vi Prefixes, Infixes, and Suffixes II

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

MidnightLightning

All right, I haven't heard any other feedback beyond Tìtstewan, so I've gone ahead and modified the "digital" version of the guide with those suggestions. If others think this looks good, I'll go back and update the "pocketmod" format too. Thanks!

Blue Elf

Quite interesting project I didn't notice before. I downloaded last version and I have a few comments:
- genitive uses endings -yä (after a, ä,e,i, ì), -ä (after all others). -eyä is just for pronouns (as they end with vowel, which is turner into -e: nga -> ngeyä, oe -> oeyä, fko -> fkeyä; oeng -> oenga -> oengeyä (inclusive forms always gets missing -a back before adding case ending))
- dative has forms -ur/-ru/-r
- topical has forms -ri/-ìri
- trail is not mentioned (pxe+)
- lenition causes glottal stop to disapperar (with exceptions 'rr, 'll)
- adpositions causing lenition are marked with + (as prefixes-, not with *). Example with toruj is not correct - ta'em is adverb, not adposition.
- infixes - here is too much typos (i instead of ì), missing letters.....
Future Perfect: <ìry> (tiryon = will have hunted) -> tìryaron
Future Progressive: <ary> (taryon = will be hunting) -> taryaron etc.
- some phrases doesn't appear to me as correct

I will look closer at this pocket guide during weekend and possible make more comments and corrections to make it better. I think it is useful project.

Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Vawmataw

As for the pronounciation of ew, why is it eyo? [ɛw] (ew); [aw] (aw) I would see : eou.
Also, no accent on the u for peu and 'upe:
Quote from: question sectionpeú, 'úpe
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

Yeah, some mistaks I already have mentioned two posts above and haven't been fixed like ta'em in the sentence [Torukta'em lehrrap lu]. ta'em is an adverb not an adposition that you could stick at nouns.
I would write there just,
Toruk lehrrap lu - Toruk is dangerous.
or id the positions is really necessary:
Toruk a tswayon ta'em lehrrap lu. - Toruk that flies from above is dangerous.

As for the genetive, it's as Blue Elf said. -eyä appears mostly on pronouns ( nga - ngeyä -  tha "a" changes to "e" / po - peyä - "o" !only at pronouns! changes to "e" as well but poan - poanä). Otherwise it is just -yä at a, e, ä, i, ì and at all consonats, "o" and "u".

As for sentences.
QuotePeu ikran ngayä? Ke fi'u, tsa'u ikran: Which
ikran is yours? Not this one, that ikran.
I would use this:
Peikran lu ngaru? - Which ikran is to you / have you?
Tsaikran lu oeru. - That ikran is to me, / I have that ikran.

QuoteNgal tslam Na'viyä aylì'ut srak? Srane, oe
tsun
: Do you understand the Na'vi language? Yes,
I do.
-->
Nga tsun tslivam aylì'ut leNa'vi, srak? - Do you can understan the Na'vi words?
Srane. Oe tsun tslivam (tsat). - Yes. I can understand (it)

And that "Mìfìtseng" you haven't fixed...
Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 28, 2014, 05:50:59 PM
What is "Mìfìtseng"? Mì fìtseng / Fìtsengmì, kefyak?

...and other things I and Blue Elf have mentioned...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

MidnightLightning

Quote from: Blue Elf on October 27, 2014, 05:15:24 PM
Quite interesting project I didn't notice before. I downloaded last version and I have a few comments:
- genitive uses endings -yä (after a, ä,e,i, ì), -ä (after all others). -eyä is just for pronouns (as they end with vowel, which is turner into -e: nga -> ngeyä, oe -> oeyä, fko -> fkeyä; oeng -> oenga -> oengeyä (inclusive forms always gets missing -a back before adding case ending))
- dative has forms -ur/-ru/-r
- topical has forms -ri/-ìri
- trail is not mentioned (pxe+)
- lenition causes glottal stop to disapperar (with exceptions 'rr, 'll)
- adpositions causing lenition are marked with + (as prefixes-, not with *). Example with toruj is not correct - ta'em is adverb, not adposition.
- infixes - here is too much typos (i instead of ì), missing letters.....
Future Perfect: <ìry> (tiryon = will have hunted) -> tìryaron
Future Progressive: <ary> (taryon = will be hunting) -> taryaron etc.
- some phrases doesn't appear to me as correct

I will look closer at this pocket guide during weekend and possible make more comments and corrections to make it better. I think it is useful project.

Thanks Blue Elf! Though it sounds like you were looking at the older guide linked from the first post? Take a look at the one I just updated and attached to my prior post, which I think already includes all those updates.

Tìtstewan

I've looked at the attachment in reply #73...

MidnightLightning

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 28, 2014, 09:26:16 AM
I've looked at the attachment in reply #73...
Sorry! I see you are correct; I was misreading some of your suggestions as ones I already did, which was why I assumed you looked at the older. Fixes in the version attached to this post:

• Noun Modifiers: Genitive changed to "-eyä / -yä / -ä", dative to "-ur / -ru / -r" and topical to "-ri / -iri"
  • Added "Trial" as a noun modifier (it was already added in the Pronouns section; added it here too)
  • Lentition: Added comment about glottal stop disappearing unless it's 'll or 'rr
  • Adpositions: Changed the star to a plus, to fit with the common way of representing lentition-ing prefixes
  • In the adposition example, updated the Toruk as indicated, but now both examples are using the "preposition before" adposition form. Can someone come up with a good adposition-as-a-suffix example?
  • Verb Infixes: Fixed "Future Perfect" and "Future Progressive" as indicated
  • Questions/Answers examples: I updated "Peikran lu ngaru?" but left the answer as "Ke fi'u, tsa'u ikran" for the moment, since the point is to try and use as many of the "answers" as possible to make it as dense an example as possible; it's currently using "this" and "that", and I'd rather not drop the "this" unless syntactically that's wrong. Or can someone come up with a better example that includes as many this/that/there/here's as possible?

For the "Mìfìtseng" phrase, I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting; are you saying the use of it in the "I will be right back?" example is wrong? Or are you suggesting it be used in the "What is ____?" example? Thanks!