Na'vi Rosetta Stone possible with some help

Started by Pxi, December 25, 2009, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiaru

I got flash 8 pro but you can download a cracked version of it almost from anywhere in the internet.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

bagget00

I say no to the rosetta stone. I don't have it and I have no monies. I don't want to steal so making this program setup for something that people can use for free would probably be a better idea. If you can work fast enough, you could download a sample version of flash for a 30 day trial. It would still come with everything you need on it. I wish I could help in any more ways than just being a naysayer, but I have no free time otherwise I would be all over this. I'mtill tryig to learn the basics of Na'vi and having a visual might help. Just remember, The program should have something along the lines of a lot of repetition of words and phrases. Just like Jakesully said, "I figure it's like field stripping a rifle; Lots of repetition." Also, pictures of the person place or thing you are talking about will help loads, so not only would you need a designer to make it look nice but also an artist to draw these things/ find pictures online that represent the item. Have it open for upgrades by users so they may add words in the future that they come up with. This is still a growing language and everyone here is discovering new words and phrases every day.

Irayo. Eywa ngahu.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Txon Tompa

this is a good idea, i know nothing about rights or rosetta stone
but if they ever made a na'vi one thatd be sic!
id buy it in a flash

no it wasnt meant to be a pun lol
(this is jameseyes txon tompa is my na'vi name)

were can u download a sample?
oel ngati kameie

bagget00

so far, I dont believe thay have even a sample. This is just talking about the idea of a sample. It is a great idea tho. I'm glad people are online trying to help out other people for once instead of doing it all for personal gain.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Txon Tompa

yeah. and i thought i was the only on ecrazy enought to learnnavi  ;D
oel ngati kameie

Tsway'eion

Quote from: bagget00 on December 31, 2009, 01:25:44 AM
If you can work fast enough, you could download a sample version of flash for a 30 day trial.
Irayo

Irayo but depending if i have to learn how to do arrays, so that new words could be added, and have the ability to store new images and sound clilps via upload, I would probrobly need some help with the  Action Script 3.0, by someone who is even more of a guru than i am. I know a lot of Flash, but not so much AS3, but i could probably create a program in 30 days, if i had help from a few graphic artists, and a programmer.

kxanì vrrtep taronyu

This is a really good idea. But i would suggest making a look alike, because you really wouldnt want to get into a leagal battle with them.

Txon Tompa

oel ngati kameie

Kelkurakxé

I'm also a graphic artist and willing to help. I have access to Photoshop and Illustrator (legally). I haven't touched Flash since Flash MX in college, but I remember how it works and could easily make vector-based assets for something like this.

Images - It would be fun and logical to use images from the movie, but not very wise considering copyright issues.

What we're proposing here is really a derivitive work. I'm not certain about the copyright law here, but I know fan-fiction writers and fan-art is way too far under the radar for anybody to care. This program, however, I think has the potential to be a wonderful resource for the learnnavi community. It does, therefore, have the potential to attract some attention.

Because of that I think there's a few things that are a good idea: (please keep in mind, I'm not a programmer, and this is all my own opinion)
- All assets should be original. No movie screencaps, no sound clips from the movie. Drawings of Na'vi will probably be OK as long as ->
- The program, and all assets associated with it, are completely free. This is a labor of love for all involved and, to avoid everyone getting sued into oblivion, we shouldn't make money off of this.
- Coding should be open-source. There are open-source code communities all over the place, and not only does open-source coding make this project community property, it invites others with the know-how and interest to come lend their expertise. It also protects the project in case the original person in charge looses interest and wanders off, or has some kind of catastrophic computer failure with no data back-up.

Tsway'eion

Quote from: Kelkurakxé on December 31, 2009, 03:13:55 PM
Because of that I think there's a few things that are a good idea: (please keep in mind, I'm not a programmer, and this is all my own opinion)
- All assets should be original. No movie screencaps, no sound clips from the movie. Drawings of Na'vi will probably be OK as long as ->
- The program, and all assets associated with it, are completely free. This is a labor of love for all involved and, to avoid everyone getting sued into oblivion, we shouldn't make money off of this.
- Coding should be open-source. There are open-source code communities all over the place, and not only does open-source coding make this project community property, it invites others with the know-how and interest to come lend their expertise. It also protects the project in case the original person in charge looses interest and wanders off, or has some kind of catastrophic computer failure with no data back-up.

Open source, and original graphics would be a must, and this would probrobly not have to do with the rosetta stone in anyway to avoid copyright.

making an app thats free, even if it has to do with na'vi shouldn't conflict with any copyrights, as long as its used as a tool to learn.

ibivins9

Quote from: Hysvear on December 29, 2009, 02:11:39 PM
I'm a Flash Guru, or at least the step before that, once my college course was over, i no longer had access to the Adobe Creative Suite... BUT, i do have some good news, if i decided to learn Flex(which is free) and a new API, we could have the potential to create flash projects, in an overly complicated way.

If someone had Flash, it would be a lot easier to create a program with that, then to try and create it from scratch using programming.

i could give you a 30 day trial of flash mx. which is what they called an early version of flash that was developed in the late xp days.
i bought the manual and thought the program was SO complicated. i would be happy to give the installer to you via download link from mediafire/my server (which ever one i get to first!)
Eywa ngahu int

shiaru

If anything just keep the setup and every 30 days uninstall the program be sure to back up your projects then reinstall it from the setup so you get another 30 days.
~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Pxi

Here's just a taste of what I have so far:  ;D

Biggest problem will be getting non-copyrighted images (in the future).

shiaru

~Oe lu tanhì taronyu.~

Txon Tompa

Quote from: Pxi on December 31, 2009, 04:32:43 PM

dude thats so sweet plz msg me when you get further
oel ngati kameie

bagget00

Quote from: Txon Tompa on December 31, 2009, 04:34:46 PM
Quote from: Pxi on December 31, 2009, 04:32:43 PM

dude thats so sweet plz msg me when you get further
same for me pleaze

Na'ring Tirea

keeping my eye on this, I have Rosetta Stone and a few of the languages, they work good even though I never really put any time into any of them. This is be a great help for me once you get it out.

Would love to Beta Test if you need any testers.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Wow.

I apologise for being such a skxawng when it comes to the Na'Vi language so far, but this is just...

Hmmm, I can't seem to find the words for 'Amazing Idea' in the Na'Vi to English pocket dictionary. I can't help, but this sounds like a great Idea! I know I would download it.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Teio

While the audio cues combined with visual choices may be the best learning tool in Rosetta Stone, I find that the pronunciation aid is useful for some languages (others, I can blow in the mike and it will read supposedly perfect). Without modifying the original copyrighted program, does anyone know how to write a program for this? I think it could help new speakers understand the glottal stops and such...