Na'vi Rosetta Stone possible with some help

Started by Pxi, December 25, 2009, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pxi

Quote from: Teio on December 31, 2009, 08:59:31 PM
While the audio cues combined with visual choices may be the best learning tool in Rosetta Stone, I find that the pronunciation aid is useful for some languages (others, I can blow in the mike and it will read supposedly perfect). Without modifying the original copyrighted program, does anyone know how to write a program for this? I think it could help new speakers understand the glottal stops and such...
I totally agree, I think the speech recognition is a very important part of what makes rosetta stone so effective. But I have no Idea how to program this in flash - and I don't even know if it's possible in flash.

As long as the accompanying audio is well-pronounced, people would benefit themselves by just repeating the words out loud everytime.

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

I've been following this topic since it was first suggested and I like how it has been going. If you need a beta tester in the near-future, then I am more than willing to help.

I would have to agree with Teio, that the audio cues really help out, along with the visual choices. There are ways to program voice recognition in using flash, you just have to find out how. I personally don't know, but could do some research and find out to see if there is a way.

Keep up the good work!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

This sounds like an awesome idea! This is one of the best ways of learning. We would need to get some artists together to draw non copyrighted material. As long as there is a good disclaimer at the beginning and an encouraging of buying official material we shouldn't have a huge problem. Though Fox hasn't been known as the nicest company in the world...

Proceed with cation,   
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Pxi

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 01, 2010, 11:08:17 PM
This sounds like an awesome idea! This is one of the best ways of learning. We would need to get some artists together to draw non copyrighted material. As long as there is a good disclaimer at the beginning and an encouraging of buying official material we shouldn't have a huge problem. Though Fox hasn't been known as the nicest company in the world...

Proceed with cation,   
Yes, non-copyrighted material would be great! I just wonder if we can get away without it for now.

I mean, it's a non-profit learning tool made by fans...would they really sue us? or even write a letter or cease and desist? I doubt it.

I'm just afraid of making this so complicated that it never gets completed.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well I bet it's hard with out a complete set of rules for the grammar! Just a little thing to help with vocab will be huge for now.

For user made content I suggest poking through the fanart section and sniffing out who's good.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Na'ring Tirea

a good place to try and get art for it would be www.Deviantart.com

find a picture you like then message the artist and ask permission to use it.

one thing that might be cool is use pics of people who photomaniped a pic of themselves to look like a Na'vi, some of them are really good. I am sure you can find just about anything you would need there.

jjasonwrght

Rather than have it get all complicated you guys, why not just try to complete something basic to work off of.

Have the simple right/wrong word things - start there.

I'm guessing this version can be kept from public release - private beta at least, because of the copyrighted pictures.

Then work from there, change the pictures, add in the voices, write a disclaimer. There, you know have version 1.0 out :)

Continue working on it from there - if anybody wants to after that :P

This is one of the BEST ideas on this forum, as simple text and reading does not really help me learn the language that well.

Pxi

Yeah, I'm just gonna keep going with the copyrighted pictures because I'm on a roll. If I had to wait around for a ton of custom fan art this whole project will never finish.

It's already gonna take enough time and effort with having to record all the words, which me and sefuheron have talked about.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Keep at it Pxi!

If you need beta testers, you know where to go.  ;)

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Keep on going! Don't wait for custom made, I'm sure it'll start rolling in soon enough and that way you'll be able to give them a list of the pictures you need sooner than later instead of them working on whatever they want.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

dotster

Mokriyä Täftxuyu

Ftiafpi

Probably a stupid question but will this have written and voiced dialog? If so, I would love to do some voice acting for it.

Pxi

Quote from: Mokriyä Täftxuyu on January 03, 2010, 04:30:47 PM
So this is actually in development now?
Yep! The picture you see is of the actual flash program. Now that I've gotten a basic template things will go much quicker.

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 03, 2010, 06:33:39 PM
Probably a stupid question but will this have written and voiced dialog? If so, I would love to do some voice acting for it.

Yes eventually we will record words and dialogue just like the real rosetta stone. That would be great if you could do some voice acting. Sefuheron is another that would like to record voices. The more the better! and it'll be less workload.

Once I get far enough we can split up the list of words and get them recorded. It's easy to add them all in later.

Eyaye Tskxe

Hey, I'm a big-time newb on this forum, but I'd love to help out with this. I don't have any real grasp of the language yet, but I'm a fairly competent artist. I've got a few of my works uploaded...

A fully shaded drawing

Painting (I don't really paint anymore, though.)

A sketch of Disturbed's mascot

I can upload more if you guys would care to see. I haven't done any Na'vi work so far, but I'm pretty good at copying down styles. I'd be interested in doing creatures, especially, but I'm open to anything. I don't know how much I'd be able to do, due to time constraints, but I'd just like to present myself for consideration. :)

Tslerolam'awpo

Kaltxì ma Pxi,

Just wanted to say nice work so far and keep on going with it! I also wanted to say if you need some artist I could possibly be of assistants seeing as i love to draw and always are. just check out my deviantart profile: clip120.deviantart.com

Tengfya swizaw: Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Ditto. =3

bagget00

I don't know the language, but maybe I could be a narrator if I had a script because my pronunciation is not too bad.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

It's great to see how this is going! I wish I could help but my accent is horrible so voice acting is out of the question.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Mokriyä Täftxuyu

Awesome!! Lol this could turn out to be really great!

Nume fpi sänume

Lets make sure that if your going to be using copyrighted material for now, to give credit where its due. Also, before we release this to the public, we will need all of it removed and replaced. I would love to see this happen, and I support it, but we do have the site as a whole to think about. One think i might suggest is using images from the trailers since they are, to a degree, usable by anyone, but lets not push it.