Na'vi Rosetta Stone possible with some help

Started by Pxi, December 25, 2009, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pxi

ok well, from now on I'll try to work with non-copyrighted photos. Deviant art looks like it'll be a great resource and I'm glad to have many people volunteering to help with that.

I feel like I need some different way to communicate with everyone helping out on this.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

If you use art from deviantart be sure to ask the artists and credit them. They won't be able to sue like Fox, but it would still be trouble if they called "thief." Plus it's rude to do other wise.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

MidnightLightning

Anyone consider LiveMocha.com? That site's a recent startup aimed at social language learning, and their FAQ indicates that "members of our community are actively participating in translating our lessons to new languages, which we'll eventually publish access to even more languages!" I just wrote to them asking if they're considering or would consider branching into fantasy languages like Klingon or Na'vi (or Elvish from Lord of the Rings); they might be more open to creating lessons than Rosetta Stone developers were/are.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Nume fpi sänume

Good find MidnightLightning, let us know if you get a response.

bagget00

"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Mokriyä Täftxuyu

If you guys need beta testers then let me know. I would be happy to help and give suggestions on the over all usabiltiy of the program. At least whenever it gets to a useable stage.

bagget00

"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

dubokk15

If you guys are still going on the flash thing I'd be happy to help--I have Flash CS4 and pretty good knowledge of AS2.0 (haven't gotten much into AS3.0, I've mostly just been finishing projects in CS4 that I started before AS3.0). Just let me know.

Tanhì Tireafya'o

[sarcasm]Willing to ruin my PC by betatesting. [/sarcasm]

I'd like to betatest for you. As long as it won't stop working when I start it up.

Son of The Eastern Sea Ikran Tribe

Pandora, is all our earth could have been

wward812

for beta testing, count me in.

and as well i have some people that i can ask about major computer programing

bagget00

I need to learn more so beta test me up baby! :)

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Has anyone made any progress on this front?

Nume fpi sänume

Honestly I'm not sure. I'm hoping there is an update or announcement soon, or it faces possible removal from the current projects. I want to see this happen, but its up to the developers to work on it.

LearntospeakNavi

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Well, if it gets dropped. I wouldn't mind picking it up, but I will to see what with this. An update would be nice or if it is done would be nicer.

Pxi

Everything is kind of on hold until we hear some more from Frommer.

There's just no way to do a real "rosetta stone" style curriculum without knowing everything about grammar and vocab. Plus I'm not exactly excited about gathering and commissioning the hundreds of custom made fan art pieces required.

If someone wants to keep this going, by all means do. But if all it's for is memorizing vocab, flashcards are far easier and probably more effective.

Cyphernix

i know i am probally coming in a little late in the game on this project but i happen to know basic and C++ out the ingyang and have a development engine for both languages tho i am better with basic.
i could try to know out a demo for you guys....tho i would need some one for the voice. also i know how to intergrate flash into basic if we want to make it a stand alone application instead of a web based application.
if you want you can add me on skype search for Cyphernix

Pxi

Quote from: Cyphernix on January 19, 2010, 02:32:11 AM
i know i am probally coming in a little late in the game on this project but i happen to know basic and C++ out the ingyang and have a development engine for both languages tho i am better with basic.
i could try to know out a demo for you guys....tho i would need some one for the voice. also i know how to intergrate flash into basic if we want to make it a stand alone application instead of a web based application.
But the whole problem is coming up with the entire lesson plan. We already have many volunteers to record the voice.

What's the point of an elaborate learning program if there's no curriculum to learn? All we can rely on now is the vocabulary and we already have virtual flashcards for that.

If someone really wants to continue this right now, please do. But the programming is the easiest part and should be the last thing we worry about. Without an entire lesson plan, copyright-free pictures, and voice you can't do this at all.

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

I might pick it up. Before I have to think of some stuff and to see if I have enough time, because next week my college classes are starting, so I have to see. I will try to find pictures and see if I can come up with a lesson plan.

Eyaye Tskxe

Quote from: Eywal ngaru teing oeti on January 19, 2010, 12:23:57 PMI will try to find pictures

It's easy to find pictures... The problem is we would need to have permission to use it. This means we would probably have to draw it ourselves. Although I honestly don't see this as a huge issue. Glancing over the dictionary, I see words that translate to "walk" and "stone". Doodling out some suitable drawings would take almost no time. Even spicing it up in Photoshop with colour and whatnot would take maybe 5 minutes per picture. Ill probably have some free time tomorrow after my finals, I'll get to work on some pictures.

Now, on what Pxi said:
Quote from: Pxi on January 19, 2010, 09:23:33 AM
Without an entire lesson plan, copyright-free pictures, and voice you can't do this at all.

Well, we've got voice thanks to Ftiafpi, and I'll be doing some pictures... so it looks like all we need is a lesson plan. So let's work on that now.

• For starters, the pronouns are a must to learn. So begin with the pronouns. I doubt we will need pictures for this, as it's only five words, and easy to memorize.

• Second, simple verbs. "To be", "Give", etc.

• After that, markers of intransitive verbs, since those help form basic sentence. No need to go into any verb tenses other than present this early in the game.

• Next, I'd go with showing possession; again, it's helpful in simple sentences. ("My mate is hawt.")

• And then Datives, or showing the recipient of something ("She gave Austin the rock")

That's as far as I know my own grammar, so if anyone has suggestions as to what should go in later in the game, or thinks that something above should be changed, please speak up.

Of course, there should be a separate section solely for vocab. I will be focusing on drawing pictures of items that have already been voiced by Ftiafpi or another, but will most likely just take suggestions after that.

I DO NOT want to see this project die off simply because there's notecards already in existence. Those are far more tedious and difficult to use compared with this, and they fail to "learn us the grammar". I think that this could also be a great crossover to the iPod Touch/iPhone app; the information going into it is basically the same.