Na'vi for Garmin GPS

Started by Puvomun, April 09, 2012, 03:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

Quote from: Puvomun on June 15, 2012, 07:28:04 AM
Hey, how about this for mile. For kilometre they thought up "pxun" (arm). If for mile we could use "kinam" (leg)... Legs usually are longer than arms, although not that much.
Not bad idea, I agree
Tempted to put that in an e-mail to Dr. Frommer, and include the list of stuff we have now. I do want to run this by him, as it theoretically can be used all over the world, so it should be approved by him.
Do it. The worst what can happen is you do not get answer. But trying is worth.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Puvomun

I just sent an e-mail with the list of words to karyu Pawl, to look over and comment on.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

I recorded a beta version of the new voice and test-drove it.

"Exit" needs to be a noun, so "exit - hum ftu" is not going to cut it. The original had "tìhum". Any suggestions?

Also "then" is now "tsakrr", it should more be "after that". "maw tsat" or something like that.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Puvomun on June 30, 2012, 12:52:31 PM
I recorded a beta version of the new voice and test-drove it.

"Exit" needs to be a noun, so "exit - hum ftu" is not going to cut it. The original had "tìhum". Any suggestions?

Also "then" is now "tsakrr", it should more be "after that". "maw tsat" or something like that.
tìhum sounds to me more like "departure" than "exit", but currently I have no better idea

What about "mawkrra" - after ?

Puvomun

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 30, 2012, 02:52:24 PM
tìhum sounds to me more like "departure" than "exit", but currently I have no better idea

What about "mawkrra" - after ?

mawkrra sounds like a good one, thank you.
Perhaps instead of using hum as base verb (leave, depart), we could use txìng (leave, abandon), which is also used in e.g. txìng musìna tsengit (leave roundabout).

Tìtxing?

edit: or tìtxusìng even?

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Tì + <us> forms gerund, so "tìtxusìng" translates as leaving, abandoning (both nouns)
Hum + Txìng are basically the same verbs, they differ by transitivity, so "tìtxìng" doesn't help too much. It would be interesting to hear what our karyu Paul think about this matter

Puvomun

Okay, we'll leave the leave/exit to moengä karyu.

I just had a thought about "then", where also mawkrr came up. How about simply using "next"? I drove the new voice to Dad and back, and that is how it is used. Go left, then keep right. Turn left, then drive on. I think "next" / hay would work well in that situation. It's also a good short word.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

This just in from Dr. Frommer:

Kaltxì, ma Puvomun!

Hi Paul--

Thanks for your e-mail. (And nice to meet another Paul!)

I'll be happy to take a look at these phrases and also to think about the term for "miles." Right now I'm on a mini-vacation in Northern California, returning home on July 5. So it may take me a little while to get back to you. What's your time frame? Would about a week be OK?

Also, if you'd like me to record these phrases for the Garmin and send you the mp3 files, I'll be happy to do that. Just let me know.

Thanks for your effort on behalf of Na'vi, and I'll be in touch soon.

All the best,

Paul

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Thats great that you got answer! And to have audio created by Paul himself, that is simply unbelievable!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

pe wou! You really scored on that one, ma Puvomun!

K. Pawl is at a SETI conference, not real far from here. I would also have enjoyed attending, not because I am confident that we will find another civilization out there, but because it uses cutting-edge electronics. Both for RF and for signal processing.

Its really interesting that the Satnav project has suddenly sprung to life again. There must be something in the wind. I spent a good part of yesterday working through this vocabulary list coming up with updated Na'vi terms. But, time did not allow me to finish this project, let along plunk myself down in front of a good microphone and start recording.

It is quite interesting that many of the updated terms I came up match what has been come up with here. But, if Pawl is going to record this word list, there is little point in continuing my efforts at this time.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Puvomun

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 01, 2012, 09:52:02 PM
pe wou! You really scored on that one, ma Puvomun!
Its really interesting that the Satnav project has suddenly sprung to life again. There must be something in the wind. I spent a good part of yesterday working through this vocabulary list coming up with updated Na'vi terms. But, time did not allow me to finish this project, let along plunk myself down in front of a good microphone and start recording.

It is quite interesting that many of the updated terms I came up match what has been come up with here. But, if Pawl is going to record this word list, there is little point in continuing my efforts at this time.

Considering the fact that the speaker in a GPS is not exactly top notch I don't worry about a high quality microphone. Clear pronunciation is more key I think.

This topic has never died, the server did. That, and the fact that I am doing far too many different things, is why it was silent for so long here. ;)

Extended idea:

continue on route - salew mì fya'o (instead of just salew).

Also:

Instead of then - tsakrr or mawkrra, I think hay (next) would be good.
The 'then' always happens after a previous direction. "Turn left, then keep right" etc.

Comments?

I also discovered an error in the GPS software: when the screen shows to use the 5th exit on a roundabout, the software says to use the first. There is a sound-file for the fifth, so it is not that the file is missing. Interesting, I'll throw that to Garmin, maybe they will fix it. I am sure they can, but if they will...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Puvomun on July 03, 2012, 04:59:11 AM
Extended idea:

continue on route - salew mì fya'o (instead of just salew).
It would work, maybe salew ìlä fya'o - continue by/via path

Also:

The 'then' always happens after a previous direction. "Turn left, then keep right" etc.

Comments?
IMHO "next" in meaning you want to use is adverb, but "hay" is adjective

Puvomun

Quote from: Blue Elf on July 03, 2012, 07:13:56 AM
It would work, maybe salew ìlä fya'o - continue by/via path
Good catch, thank you.

Quote from: Blue Elf on July 03, 2012, 07:13:56 AM
IMHO "next" in meaning you want to use is adverb, but "hay" is adjective
I never keep these things straight. nìhay then, that is the adverb :)

Document updated.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

After sending the latest updated list to Karyu Pawl, I received this e-mail from him:

QuoteHi Paul!

Thanks for the update. We're just about to begin our journey back to Los Angeles, so I'll put this off for a bit longer. But when we're back home, I'll take a careful look as soon as possible. Thanks again for keeping up with this.

I'm sure you can do a FINE job with speaking the phrases! But if the community would like me to record them, I'll be happy to. I shouldn't have a problem creating .wav files.

Oeng pivängkxo nìmun ye'rìn ko!

ta P.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

I have uploaded a version 2 of my attempt to create a Na'vi voice for the Garmin GPS.
Note that the word-list used is NOT confirmed by karyu Pawl, but if you are interested in test-driving it, you can find it at http://kelutral.dyndns.org/download/
Simply hit the link "garmin_v2.zip"
There is a textfile in it with the words used, but it probably looks like rubbish when you use windows.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Puvomun on July 03, 2012, 04:59:11 AM
Also:

Comments?

I had hay on my list for 'then' as well. I have been really busy, but I now need to compare your list to my list to Taronyu's original list. From that, I'll pick the best words for my attempt. (That said, I am still hoping that K. Pawl will give this a go.)

Quote from: Puvomun
I also discovered an error in the GPS software: when the screen shows to use the 5th exit on a roundabout, the software says to use the first. There is a sound-file for the fifth, so it is not that the file is missing. Interesting, I'll throw that to Garmin, maybe they will fix it. I am sure they can, but if they will...

Cursed roundabouts! They are multiplying like flies over here now! There are other traffic control structures and routings appearing that look more like ideas I had when I was a kid, before I realized what was involved in driving  ::)

In my experience here, few and far between are roundabouts with more than four streets running into them. (I can think of only one I have driven through, in Long Beach, CA) I do realize though that in Europe, things are much different. Cities there were laid out with 'hub and spoke' plans, and these feature massive roundabouts. We have only one big city I know of, laid out that way, and that is Washington DC. But since Garmin is an American company, maybe they didn't realize that there were roundabouts with more than four streets going into them.

I will download and try your voice the first chance I get. Usually, I have my GPS here, available to program, but not today.

For those interested, a Dothraki version is also in the works.

Yawey ngahu!

Puvomun

First off - I changed the word-list text-file to a MS Word document, for easier viewing.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 06, 2012, 04:53:11 PM
I had hay on my list for 'then' as well. I have been really busy, but I now need to compare your list to my list to Taronyu's original list. From that, I'll pick the best words for my attempt. (That said, I am still hoping that K. Pawl will give this a go.)

I decided on 'nìhay', after Blue Elf pointed out that 'hay' is an adj.  We'll see what Karyu Pawl has to say about that.

I will download and try your voice the first chance I get. Usually, I have my GPS here, available to program, but not today.

HRH! I can see Khal Drogo with a GPS on his horse! :D

Turn left or you're dead
Turn right or you're dead
Ride on or you're dead

;-)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Puvomun on July 07, 2012, 04:01:34 AM
First off - I changed the word-list text-file to a MS Word document, for easier viewing.

I decided on 'nìhay', after Blue Elf pointed out that 'hay' is an adj.  We'll see what Karyu Pawl has to say about that.

I must have downloaded the file before you made the change. It is a text file for me, but I have no problems whatsoever reading it.

In any case, your voice is a lot more 'reedy' and 'present' than Taronyu's (now Skxawng Makto). The levels may be a bit 'hotter' as well, or it might be the difference in your voice. Overall, on the tiny speakers they put in those GPS units, your kind of voice is IMHO a better kind of voice. Nice job! (I think my voice lies somewhere in between you and Taronyu. We'll find out when I finally get a chance to plunk myself down in front of a mike.)

What did you use for a microphone?

Turn left or you're dead
Ride on or you're dead

;-)

I laughed 'till I hurt. I will definitely be sharing that with David Peterson!

But, I have been trying to pick out words and phrases that one might use, if using the GPS on horseback.

Yawey ngahu!

Puvomun

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 08, 2012, 02:27:57 AM
I must have downloaded the file before you made the change. It is a text file for me, but I have no problems whatsoever reading it.
Well, that's great. Perhaps you use notepad++ or something more advanced, which recognises linux line-feeds.

In any case, your voice is a lot more 'reedy' and 'present' than Taronyu's (now Skxawng Makto). The levels may be a bit 'hotter' as well, or it might be the difference in your voice. Overall, on the tiny speakers they put in those GPS units, your kind of voice is IMHO a better kind of voice. Nice job! (I think my voice lies somewhere in between you and Taronyu. We'll find out when I finally get a chance to plunk myself down in front of a mike.)

I am glad you like the new version I made.
The microphone is on an ancient headset, brand is Canyon, and the model is CN-HS1. I don't even remember when I bought it, it's at least 20 years old.

I also tried the mic on the laptop, but that leaves too much air between the voice and the receiving part, makes the voice sound too hollow and inadequate, especially on the GPS.

Turn left or you're dead
Ride on or you're dead

;-)

But, I have been trying to pick out words and phrases that one might use, if using the GPS on horseback.

Good luck. I don't know how many words Dothraki has by now, but it must be difficult to find the proper expressions in what's there.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Puvomun on July 08, 2012, 02:45:01 AM
Well, that's great. Perhaps you use notepad++ or something more advanced, which recognises linux line-feeds.

No, I use Linux  :)

I am glad you like the new version I made.
The microphone is on an ancient headset, brand is Canyon, and the model is CN-HS1. I don't even remember when I bought it, it's at least 20 years old.

I also tried the mic on the laptop, but that leaves too much air between the voice and the receiving part, makes the voice sound too hollow and inadequate, especially on the GPS.

That microphone choice might explain the 'presence' on the voice then. Those headset-mikes, although of reasonable quality, are designed for a 'communication grade' response. this gives a pronounced presence boost for use over 'voice grade' circuits.

I plan to use a large diaphragm condenser mike that will give a little presence boost, but is otherwise full range. I might thin out the bass a little for better clarity, but appropriate bass can help a lot with intelligibility. (I have an 'FM classical music announcer' type voice.) The low pass filter in the Garmin program will remove the unwanted higher frequencies.

And there is nothing wrong with being old. Many old mikes are increasing in value.  ;)

Good luck. I don't know how many words Dothraki has by now, but it must be difficult to find the proper expressions in what's there.

That is very definitely the case (I think the public dictionary just passed 1,000 words). But you would be surprised how much is already there.

Yawey ngahu!