Na'vi for Garmin GPS

Started by Puvomun, April 09, 2012, 03:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 08, 2012, 02:59:02 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on July 08, 2012, 02:45:01 AM
Well, that's great. Perhaps you use notepad++ or something more advanced, which recognises linux line-feeds.

No, I use Linux  :)
Ahhh... I edited the file in gedit. No wonder...

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 08, 2012, 02:59:02 AM
Quote from: Puvomun
Good luck. I don't know how many words Dothraki has by now, but it must be difficult to find the proper expressions in what's there.

That is very definitely the case (I think the public dictionary just passed 1,000 words). But you would be surprised how much is already there.
That is fabulous! :D
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

I just heard back from Garmin, about the strange problem that the 5th exit on a roundabout is pronounced as being the first exit. This is a fault in the old VoiceStudio software and won't be fixed.

I am now downloading the latest version (4.2 from June 18, 2012) and will have a peek if that does not have the bug.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Well, old software mistakes are never repaired. Never seen someone done it....
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

At least, it looks like Garmin is making some effort to keep this tool up to date. This sounds more to me like a limitation than a 'bug', as roundabouts with more than four roads entering them are rare, at least in the 'States. There is a practical limit to how many special cases you can cover without making the code unwieldy. In fact, I'm amazed at how much road data they can get in so little memory.

For those attending Avatarmeet, I have a GPS with Puvomun's voice installed with me.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Puvomun

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 18, 2012, 11:31:15 PM
At least, it looks like Garmin is making some effort to keep this tool up to date. This sounds more to me like a limitation than a 'bug', as roundabouts with more than four roads entering them are rare, at least in the 'States. There is a practical limit to how many special cases you can cover without making the code unwieldy. In fact, I'm amazed at how much road data they can get in so little memory.

For those attending Avatarmeet, I have a GPS with Puvomun's voice installed with me.

In the program there is 'space' for 9 exits. *grin*

In Nijmegen, which I drive through regularly, there is a roundabout with 5 exits - that is how I found out about this bug. I am going to put a new voice-file on my Garmin today, using the new software, and I hope I can test this today (depends on traffic due to the 4-day marches that are going about here.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Alas, the newest version of the software still has the "5th" bug, stating it's the 1st.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Puvomun on July 19, 2012, 12:30:05 PM
Alas, the newest version of the software still has the "5th" bug, stating it's the 1st.
I have a statement for this: "Progress often doesn't go in correct direction". ;D
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Puvomun

Quote from: Blue Elf on July 19, 2012, 01:06:52 PM
Quote from: Puvomun on July 19, 2012, 12:30:05 PM
I have a statement for this: "Progress often doesn't go in correct direction". ;D

+1!!

I think that is why "progress" and "digress" share so many of the same letters.  ;)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sìkat

Don't forget "Progress" and "Congress" ;)

Tsmuktengan

Any news about this bug solving? It's been almost a month.  ???

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: sfc78 on July 20, 2012, 04:34:23 AM
Don't forget "Progress" and "Congress" ;)

HRH  :)

I don't think we will see this bug fixed anytime soon. This is what they warn you in the instructions,  that a Satnav is to be used along with common sense.  ???

Yawey ngahu!

Puvomun

Current software is still 2.40, which I last used. So the bug is still alive.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tsmuktengan

You should probably ring the technical support and remind them a part of their job. I find it difficult to justify that a GPS direct you to the wrong road or exit.

Puvomun

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on August 17, 2012, 09:17:29 AM
You should probably ring the technical support and remind them a part of their job. I find it difficult to justify that a GPS direct you to the wrong road or exit.

The GPS directs me to the proper road or exit. On the screen it is perfect. Also the built-in voices are perfect. The problem is in the software that one uses to create additional voices. If you know that the new voice does something wrong it is your own responsibility to stick with it or to go back to a voice that works flawlessly.

Their tech support is in the United States, and I am convinced that they have more pressing things to do regarding millions of GPS devices in hundreds of varieties out there than worrying about someone who reports that a piece of software they put out for free, and to use on your own responsibility, is not 100% perfect. It selects the wrong voice file for 1 exit, the 5th. There are not many roundabouts with 5 or more exits, not here anyway. I discovered it by accident.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tsmuktengan

Ah. The bug is less critical than I thought. If it is just picking the wrong file but says the proper direction in any understandable way, this is fine.

Now technically, I don't think this is a big thing to fix. It rather ressembles to a little mistake in one line. But anyway. I guess this is not specific to the Na'vi translation then.

Puvomun

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on August 17, 2012, 12:29:23 PM
Ah. The bug is less critical than I thought. If it is just picking the wrong file but says the proper direction in any understandable way, this is fine.

Now technically, I don't think this is a big thing to fix. It rather ressembles to a little mistake in one line. But anyway. I guess this is not specific to the Na'vi translation then.

It is a simple fix, indeed. I am convinced that there is a simple coding error which generates a faulty XML file which resides in the .vpm file.
The Na'vi translation is correct. The spoken Na'vi is correct as well. It also goes wrong when I create an own voice in Dutch or in Gibberish.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I would think in Gibberish that all directions would sound pretty much the same ;)

A very curious bug, indeed. I am going to have to think about this a bit. Is it possible that all instructions that call for a 'fifth' something would generate this same error. Then, you would have a tag for 'fifth' that is actually pointing at 'first'.

I wonder how difficult it is to disassemble a .vpm file?

Yawey ngahu!

Puvomun

I would think in Gibberish that all directions would sound pretty much the same ;)
Depends on your proficiency in Gibberish ;) I'm awesome at it!

A very curious bug, indeed. I am going to have to think about this a bit. Is it possible that all instructions that call for a 'fifth' something would generate this same error. Then, you would have a tag for 'fifth' that is actually pointing at 'first'.
Each bit of instruction is recorded in a separate .wav file. The program assembles the whole thing into a .vpm file (which is not rar, zip, lhz, 7z etc). The problem can be (I think)
* a directives file like an XML points to the wrong file
* the program itself puts the wrong file in the right place

I wonder how difficult it is to disassemble a .vpm file?
You can download mine at http://kelutral.dyndns.org/download/ and have a try. You're welcome.

Ngopyu ayvurä.