How about a real Na'vi keyboard

Started by Tseyk Tìriuä, January 24, 2010, 12:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tseyk Tìriuä

Kaltxì!

Isn't it a pain typing ä and ì? Someone made a keyboard but it replaced important keys. Mine uses the two bracket keys...So you don't even have to switch keyboards when typing in English or Na'vi! (assuming you don't use brackets)

1.) Download files
2.) Extract
3.) Run Setup.exe
4.) Go to the control panel
5.) Open the Region, Clock, and Languages tab
6.) Go to Language
7.) Hit Change Language
8.) Select keyboard option
9.) Select "Navi"from the list
10.) On some computers a tab will appear offering US and Na'vi dropdown...I leave my computer on Na'vi at all times

http://www.tyger.org/~tiger/navi/Na%27vi%20Keyboard.rar

If you can't find it send me a message on the forum.

ONLY FOR WINDOWS (I'm on Vista)

Tengkrr tìsngä'i Yawäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawä'evangäti ngamop.

HTML_Earth

I know it wouldn't actually be useful for anything else, but what the heck, I made a mock-up of it in Photoshop:

Nanaki

Quote from: HTML_Earth on March 03, 2010, 02:47:37 PM
I know it wouldn't actually be useful for anything else, but what the heck, I made a mock-up of it in Photoshop:

Hahaha really nice ;D Well done x)
'Itan Atxur : Just remember, NO idea is too crazy <3

Then everything changed ... I fell in love. I fell in love with the - with the forest, with the Omaticaya people... with you...
Don't thank! You don't thank for this! This is sad... VERY sad only!

Txur’Itan

old gallery link?id=346[/img]
私は太った男だ。

Col Quaritch

uhm wouldnt a real na'vi keyboard be like drums or smoke signals tribe to tribe? (dont hurt me)

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Col Quaritch on March 04, 2010, 05:47:29 PM
uhm wouldnt a real na'vi keyboard be like drums or smoke signals tribe to tribe? (dont hurt me)

Only if they are cooking humans like those shady southern tribes might do...
私は太った男だ。

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Someone get this this quick!

Step 1: Use "Citristrip" orange spray (carefully) to remove the text from your keyboard. Clean with Isopropyl.

Step 2: "Carefully" apply Na'vi letters as noted above.

Step 3: Mail to one "Professor Frommer."

Oh, and give him a Kaltxì Palulukan mug! :)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Col Quaritch

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 04, 2010, 06:52:34 PM
Quote from: Col Quaritch on March 04, 2010, 05:47:29 PM

Only if they are cooking humans like those shady southern tribes might do...

O.O

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Interesting idea, and realizable with a code page (in Windows anyway). The real challenge will be getting the two letter characters to display/print correctly.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Would you need to design a new font face to get that to work?
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 06, 2010, 01:21:03 AM
Would you need to design a new font face to get that to work?

No. Languages like Chineese or Japanese are typed on standard keyboards as well. Along the charmap also an "extended input scheme" is loaded, where pressing a combination or sequence of certain keys emits a whole set of characters. However this is flexible enough to come into action after single keypress.

Now I haven't done it for Windows, so far, but I know how to implement a custom scheme for X11/SCIM (Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.).

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I would be very interested to find out how to do this in X11, as I use Linux pretty much exclusively.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kesìltsamsiyu

I think Unicomp (pckeyboard.com) makes customized layouts.
I know their site looks pretty ghetto and shady, but I have a customizer 104. They're legit.
Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

eanayo

If you're feeling rich, you could get an Optimus and make a custom key map. You could then also do some script-magic and use the extra keys to automatically provide infixes/suffixes/prefixes, depending on the word you've just typed ;)

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Aysyal on March 07, 2010, 04:43:27 AM
If you're feeling rich, you could get an Optimus and make a custom key map. You could then also do some script-magic and use the extra keys to automatically provide infixes/suffixes/prefixes, depending on the word you've just typed ;)
Now that's a cool keyboard! It only needed to be also wireless - ideally Bluetooth - and I would put one on order.
BTW. thinkgeek.com has it for "only" $1,599.99
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

eanayo

Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 07, 2010, 05:03:20 AM
Quote from: Aysyal on March 07, 2010, 04:43:27 AM
Now that's a cool keyboard! It only needed to be also wireless - ideally Bluetooth - and I would put one on order.
BTW. thinkgeek.com has it for "only" $1,599.99

Yes, you would think the extra $10 for a Bluetooth module wouldn't matter to them. But that price on Thinkgeek is actually really good, compared to Art. Lebedev's price.

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 06, 2010, 12:51:04 PM
I would be very interested to find out how to do this in X11, as I use Linux pretty much exclusively.

To implement custom keyboard layouts in X11, you need to create the layout as a symbol and then tell X about it.
In short:

• cd to /usr/share/X11/xkb/ (or wherever it is located on your distro. (Looking for a folder of that name containing folders by the name of symbols, rules etc.))
  • cd to symbols. Open the file with the two letter country code for the language you want to be appear under. (Eg. us)
  • Add you custom layout there
  • cd ../rules. Open base.xml and add your variant to a particular language's list of layouts.
  • Activate the layout with xkb/your desktop environment

For a more detailed explanation of how to do it: http://hektor.umcs.lublin.pl/~mikosmul/computing/articles/custom-keyboard-layouts-xkb.html

Col Quaritch

Ok I know you can get custome lay out of keyboards but is it possible that when I type those keys it will actually type the correct navi letter? Or am I not understanding how this works? (I admit give me guns I all knowing give me a computer and I look at it like a cave man did with fire for the first time)  :-\

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Col Quaritch on March 08, 2010, 11:49:53 AM
Ok I know you can get custome lay out of keyboards but is it possible that when I type those keys it will actually type the correct navi letter? Or am I not understanding how this works? (I admit give me guns I all knowing give me a computer and I look at it like a cave man did with fire for the first time)  :-\
What a keyboard actually sends are scan codes. Think of them like a "coordinate" of which key at which location has been pressed/released. Those scan codes don't convey characters. And the scancodes are identical for all keyboard layouts and only depend on the physical location of the key.

To get a character from a scancode a keymap is applied, which encodes scancodes, or a combination of them, like if Shift/Ctrl/Alt are pressed, into characters finally sent to the application. The keymap(s) is stored as simple files somewhere, and it's very easy (if you know what you've to do ;) ) to modify them.

KxanìaTaronyu

Link doesn't work anymore. Please post a new link
"Oel kameie ayngati. Irayo ayngaru ulte Eywa ngahu. 'Ivong Na'vi aysmukan sì aysmuke. Aynga lu Eywayä ayeylan ulte aynga lu yawne oer. Kìyevame!"