Na'vi Linux distro (Na'viOS?)

Started by Muzer, July 23, 2010, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzer

I'm planning on creating a Na'vi Linux distro, on top of all of my other projects (;)).

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this - especially what distro to base it on. I was planning on making it Kubuntu-based, for the following reasons:

* I like KDE
* The Ubuntu derivatives are easy to create distros for
* The Ubuntu derivatives are easiest for beginners
* The Ubuntu derivatives use Live CDs, so you will be able to try the distro out before you make any changes to your computer
* I can create packages for Ubuntu most easily that get updated with the rest of the system, via PPAs (reading the PPA Ts and Cs, it turns out things need to be FOSS - so I'll just make my own repo) (I'm not saying this is impossible in other distros; just that it requires more effort).

Possible cons:

* Some people hate Ubuntu
* Can be a pain to install drivers (for graphics and wifi, mainly) due to their free software-only policy, if your card happens to be less well-supported on Linux. Of course, I will provide all the possible assistance I can.

General info:

It would be completely Avatar-themed (visually)
It would include regularly-updated packages including such things as the dictionary, the nutshell guide, wm.annis's grammar guide when it gets released, and any and all Na'vi software projects
It would come with a Na'vi keyboard layout (hopefully)
It would come with an easy way to play Avatar as quickly as possible (;)), via whatever method you like
Anything else that I have forgotten to mention (there's bound to be a few things)

What it will not do:

It would NOT come with a copy of the Avatar film (for obvious reasons)
It would NOT be fully-translated. I have enough on my plate already. Obviously any translation projects I can find I will include, but don't expect the whole distro to be in Na'vi - yet. Of course, once I've finished Opera, I might move onto other projects such as a full KDE translation.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Payoang

Haha, awesome plan. I'm in for graphics, should you need a hand.

Muzer

A list of wallpapers to include would be nice. A LN one, of course, as well as any other generally Avatar ones.

We also need a bootsplash - a screen to be displayed whilst it's booting. This shouldn't be too high-res or high-colour-depth, as depending on your graphics card, the bootsplash can sometimes turn out to be 256-colour or worse. So something plain and simple would be best.

The bootsplash can just be a simple image (which I don't think will get a progress bar), or you can code your own with http://brej.org/blog/?p=174 and http://brej.org/blog/?p=197 (I have only glanced at it, but it doesn't seem too hard). With this you can add a progress bar, custom resizing (to ensure it won't get stretched/squashed), and even animation.

I'm debating whether or not to include that crazy Avatar Adobe Air thingy. On the one hand, it's pretty neat. But on the other hand, Adobe Air sucks on Linux :P. And on a third hand, Fox might not like it.

swiräk

well, like I said in IRC, Im in for some german translations, and maybe some small thing here and there

Swoka Ikran

Sounds interesting.

Am I correct in assuming it will always have an English option (even if it ever gets fully translated)? I can understand most Na'vi with a dictionary, and read basic sentences, but I'd prefer to not need to translate every little thing.

QuoteIt would be completely Avatar-themed (visually)
...the first thing that came to mind was an OS that looked like the one on RDA's computers in the movie.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Well, I can probably help, not that I'm any good, or reliable! :P
I can use Inkscape, the GIMP and Blender with variable levels of success and I have some experience with Linux, Python and Bash.
You forgot the login sound! ;)
I heard there was some progress on Blue Ray playback on Linux aswell, but I don't any details (related to Mythbuntu, the media centre thing).
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Muzer

AFAIK, Blu-ray playback still involves the two-stage process of dumping, then watching the dump.

Of course it will still have English ;)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Muzer on July 23, 2010, 04:34:28 PM
Of course it will still have English ;)
Good to hear.

I'd offer to help with this, but I don't know too much about linux :( (although I have used Ubuntu several times). Maybe I could do beta testing when it gets to that point?

EDIT: Fixed typo...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Kekerusey

I'm really a Windows man but I'd help as much as I can as a tester.

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I thought they had managed to get playback without a dump now? Just not useable in a release yet... But I have no idea! :-[
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Muzer

I don't know, tbh - it would be nice.

akiwiguy

Kekerusey

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on July 25, 2010, 08:20:44 PMI hate KDE. TWM anyone? :)

Never heard of it ... of all the Linux desktops I like KDE best :)

I just looked twm up (even surfed Google images) ... it looks awful!!

Keke

akiwiguy

Quote from: Kekerusey on July 26, 2010, 02:42:12 PM
Never heard of it ... of all the Linux desktops I like KDE best :)

I just looked twm up (even surfed Google images) ... it looks awful!!

Keke
Yep, it looks awful. But I like it. It's minimalist, and green. Plus, it uses hardly any memory, unlike resource hogging KDE.
GNOME is alright, XFCE is better, but TWM murders them all.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on July 27, 2010, 01:28:21 AMYep, it looks awful. But I like it. It's minimalist, and green. Plus, it uses hardly any memory, unlike resource hogging KDE. GNOME is alright, XFCE is better, but TWM murders them all.

Then I'd choose KDE ... performance isn't everything, sometimes it's got to be a pleasure to use and IMO KDE is th4e best Linux distro in that respect.

Keke

akiwiguy

Yeah. Use KDE for this distro. Since it's Ubuntu, I'll just go 'sudo apt-get install twm' after I install it. :)
Me == linux nerd. must use fast stuff. me <3 twm. *growl*

I should go sit in my corner now.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I love the idea! But I am going to put up the (lone wolf) vote for Fedora and Gnome. I have a long history of using this combination on three different systems. I am willing to help somehow, but not sure how.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

akiwiguy

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 28, 2010, 11:11:04 PM
I love the idea! But I am going to put up the (lone wolf) vote for Fedora and Gnome. I have a long history of using this combination on three different systems. I am willing to help somehow, but not sure how.

YAY FEDORA!

I could help build an Ubuntu distro with KDE. I'm reading up on Remastersys right now.
I'll install Ubuntu 9.10 later, remove GNOME and install KDE. I'll use KDM as desktop manager.

Anyone want to help with translations?

Elektrolurch

I could translate it to German. :)

And.. I've become a real Linux fan ::) Currently running openSUSE 11.3 .. and I love it
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Muzer

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on July 31, 2010, 05:11:37 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 28, 2010, 11:11:04 PM

YAY FEDORA!

I could help build an Ubuntu distro with KDE. I'm reading up on Remastersys right now.
I'll install Ubuntu 9.10 later, remove GNOME and install KDE. I'll use KDM as desktop manager.

Anyone want to help with translations?

Um, what? Why not just install Kubuntu?