Na'vi Movie Subtitles.

Started by Lurk, January 19, 2010, 11:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurk

Reopened. 2007 scriptment was released. Just be careful ;) -NFS
While on IRC, we hatched this master genius plan.

Create subtitles in Na'vi for the entire movie, which can't be done entirely at the moment as there's two one major problem.

#1, The lexicon is not big enough. (On a side note... This actually doesn't seem to be that much of a problem...)
#2, We don't really have any reliable script which is 100% accurate to the movie. It's almost done.

So this lead to the lesser plan of typing out the script of the entire movie, we're really just after the dialogue, but if you want to put the actions in for completeness, feel free.

Nonetheless, if you'd like to contribute, just leave a post saying from which part to which part you'd like to type up.
We already have someone doing from 1:06:00 to 2:33:00.

So we have:
0:00:00 - 0:30:00 - Tari
0:30:00 - 0:51:00 - Lurk
0:51:00 - 1:06:00 - Giawa
1:06:00 - 2:33:00 - Barrett_Ford

...Well that filled up in about, 27 seconds. :S

Update as of, today: We're done, transcribing the script, it's translation time.

Update: Translation is now in full-swing, we have a wiki setting-up, and we'll break it down into chunks so, feel free to come by an drop in a few lines of translation, the more the merrier.

Munge futa nga tsun, Tìng ke'uti ne'ìm.
Software Dev - x86 Assembly / native C - 10 years.
Efficiency is everything to do with Performance~

Lurk

Now that Fox has officially released said script, everything is back in full swing.

pbhead

wowzies.  I dont really know what to say.

when you done, send it to frommer so he can check it over (spelling, grammer... throw in a few words we dont know about yet), and then send it to fox and get it included on the dvd!

(cause i really really want to watch Avatar with na'vi subtitles!!)

Giawa

Quote from: Lurk on January 24, 2010, 11:44:11 PM
Now that Fox has officially released said script, everything is back in full swing.

Excellent, is there some sort of wiki or something where we can share our translations?  If need be, I can host one.

tari

I just set up a subversion repository as we discussed on IRC.
[snip]

As it stands, I'm the only one with commit access.  If you want to make changes, you can either relay them to me and I'll add them for you, or just ask me for commit access and I can hook you up.

If you've never used svn before, you're in for a bit of learning.  I suggest getting the general concept from wikipedia, then you can consult the svn book.
On the other hand, if you just want to grab a local copy (or don't care to learn all that), you can download a client and pull a working copy from the above URL.  If you can't even figure that out, I'll try to whip up a quick how-to tomorrow.

To tide you over, here are a couple common clients:
TortoiseSVN - Windows only - Integrates into Windows Explorer; highly recommended.
RapidSVN - All platforms
Subcommander - All platforms
svnX - OSX only
For anyone running some *nix, your distro probably provides a package for the command-line tool if you like.

Txur’Itan

Kaltxì ma tsmuktu.

I have an FYI from the moderators.

We are concerned that you may be using an unauthorised copy of audio from the Film AVATAR.

Unlicensed duplicates or copies of any movie are a violation of copyright protections and laws.

Please be aware that this is not something that we wish to have transported or discussed via the learnnavi.org community forum, primarily out of concern for maintaining a form for people to learn the language as a priority. We also do not wish to present any legal complications for the administrator of the website.

While we are aware of the value of being able to replay the dialog form the film in this process, only legitimate or authorised copies of the dialogue are allowable for this purpose at this time.

Please refrain from using these sorts of recordings if they are in fact unauthorised copies or duplicates.

EDIT: The verbatim transcription of the script is not considered a legitimate use and should be ceased as a precautionary measure.

---

Copyright protection is available for:

literary works
dramatic works, including accompanying music
musical works, including accompanying words
pantomimes and choreographic works
pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works
motion pictures or other audiovisual presentations
sound recordings
and works of architecture.

The United States copyright law protects these and other creative endeavors, but it does not protect:

titles, names, short phrases, or slogans
familiar symbols or designs
mere listings of ingredients or contents
simple variations in lettering, calligraphy, or coloring
works that have not been fixed—such as an improvisational speech or performance that has not been written or recorded and works, like calendars, that consist entirely of information that is common property and contain no original authorship.
私は太った男だ。

Ftiafpi

Yeah, I know this sucks guys that we keep flip-flopping on wither you guys can coordinate this project here but I don't see any way around this:

QuoteALL RIGHTS RESERVED. COPYRIGHT ©2007 TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION. NO PORTION OF THIS SCRIPT MAY BE PERFORMED, PUBLISHED, REPRODUCED, SOLD, OR DISTRIBUTED BY ANY MEANS, OR QUOTED OR PUBLISHED IN ANY MEDIUM, INCLUDING ANY WEB SITE, WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION.

So, I guess we'll just have to wait for FOX to give us "written consent" before we could attempt something like this (at least on this site, what you do on your own sites is your own business).

omängum fra'uti

I have seen too many companies throwing around their legal department as soon as they feel like anything of theirs is threatened, even if it's something in the end that would have benefited them.  While it's possible if not likely that we could make a valid claim of fair use, when the legal notices start flying too often it becomes a case of whoever has the biggest lawyer.  And big companies usually win those battles.

There's also a couple other things to keep in mind.  Them releasing the script was quite an unprecedented move.  If it wasn't just a slip that they decided to make the best of and turn into publicity then we don't want them to regret it, so we may get a chance to see the same happen to Avatar II and Avatar III.

So it is best to play by the rules for now.  Perhaps if we play it right with Fox, we could even talk them into something more recent to translate, and possibly even transcription of the Na'vi dialog.  I know it's not likely, but you never know.

I do hope this can actually get done, because I'd love to see the result, maybe even a subtitle you could overlay on the blue-ray when it comes out!  (Do they have a blue-ray player program capable of that yet?)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Lurk

QuoteALL RIGHTS RESERVED. COPYRIGHT ©2007 TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION. NO PORTION OF THIS SCRIPT MAY BE PERFORMED, PUBLISHED, REPRODUCED, SOLD, OR DISTRIBUTED BY ANY MEANS, OR QUOTED OR PUBLISHED IN ANY MEDIUM, INCLUDING ANY WEB SITE, WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION.

There's no way of getting around that. /Thread.