Na'vi Proficiency Exam

Started by NeotrekkerZ, March 22, 2010, 01:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeotrekkerZ

Hello all,

As I said I would in my Na'vi in a Nutshell guide, here is the (to my knowledge) world's first Na'vi Proficiency Exam.  Aside from the title it is written completely in Na'vi.  I must caution that it is very difficult.  If you tried my Basic Skills Test, then you may know.  It's meant to be taken without any reference material in front of you.

But because a test that not many can take/understand is a waste, I've included the English at the end of it.  So you can use the document as a reference material if you so desire, or for examples.

I wrote this thing a while ago and was certain of its accuracy then.  But with all the updates we've been getting, there's a chance there may be a few errors.  So please if you have questions or think you've found a mistake, post here.  I want people to learn from the document above everything else.

EDIT:  Updated version.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

Txur’Itan

Very advanced stuff.  I Need to get the vocab knowledge solid to pass.
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

I didn't know a few of the words, but I was able to get enough to get the right answer.

Some comments though...

Fya'o lehrrap lu. Ayoe kayin txana samsiyu nì'ul to hola skosì.

Need case markings there...  But I'm not sure on that second sentence.  First you don't need nì'ul when using to...  Second, as written you are saying you need more samsiyu than hola sko, which I don't think is what you meant to say.  Not sure if this is what you were trying to say but perhaps...

Fya'o lehrrap lu. Ayoel kayin txana samsiyuti skotisì.

Also...

Na'rìng yawne lu for.
Really?  Kxawm "ke lu"?

I'll let you know if I see anything else.

Edit: Also on the infix exercise....  There's a few that could be answered a few ways.

Edit 2:
Tskxekeng 3.3...  Ayoe ... awngeyä?  Make up your mind.  Either ayoeng/awnga or ayoe for both, the mix doesn't make sense, considering Ikran only have one rider for life.
Tskxekeng 3.5...  Po should be pol
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

omängum fra'uti

Nì'ul Tskxekeng 2...
Unobtainium isn't fngap, it's tskxe.  Or even ayskxe akerusey as the Na'vi would see it.

ulte kllkulat klltet awngeyä fpi fngap.
Perhaps use fte here, which would of course change the answer.  Also, I'm thinking that fngap would be the object not kllte.  Kllte would then be ftu kllte.

'upxaret fpive' a fì'u lu awngeyä atxkxe!
I think this is a little backwards as far as the use of "a".  "This send-them-a-message thing is our land"...  It's the message you want to describe.
fpive' 'upxaret a lu fìtsenge atxkxe awngeyä! (Or even just leave off atxkxe)

Tskxekeng 3.4...
Not sure this sentence is correct here...  I'm not quite able to make out what you're trying to say?  It doesn't look close to the given English.

Tskxekeng 4...
Pongu kerä txantsan livu fìtxon.
Too literal / idiomatic translation...  Plus I'm not sure pongu is the right word.  Perhaps ftxozä.
Ftxozä txantsan layu fìtxon.

I'm not sure lelok means what you think it means.  Sim is probably a better base, maybe lesim...  Or if sim is like lìm then asim?

I'm a little nervous about lestum, we haven't seen le- used in canon on an adverb yet.

Fì'u layu nawma krr fpi sìpängkxo sruseosì....
Srusew (o??) would be an adjective...  Tìsrusew would be the gerund like form...  But it seems like this should be sìpängkxo sìsrewsì or sìpusängkxo sìsrusewsì, mixing them just seems odd like a literal English translation.  Also the use of fì'u here smells a bit of English, but it may be ok since fì'u is pretty generic in Na'vi.  But fpi I think is going to be wrong.  Maybe make them topical?

Famtseotu aswey tayok fìtseng
Tok is transitive so Famtseotul and fìtsenget.

Uvan si - that's play yes, but seeing as how it's based on uvan, it seems like it is playing a game...  Maybe pamtseo si for playing music, but not sure...  Or ngop pamtseot - create music?

Mungwrr is a preposition, not a conjunction.  Throwing fwa in after it should solve that though.  Mì hrrap - again smells of English.  (And of course, pongo / ftxozä.)

Rikx fu ayoe ke flayä... 
Don't think rikx can be used there, but win säpi would work just fine.  Probably make it subjunctive as well, win säpivi...  Or even zene win säpivi?  And fu there should likely be fteke.  But that really needs a word for "fail".

Tskxekeng 6.1...
The spelling has been updated from alaksì to alaksi
Tskxekeng 6.4...
Kxawm... meseyri?

'eylan na'viyä

Irayo nìtxan,

i also downloaded the basic skills test http://forum.learnnavi.org/your-projects-other-resources/navi-proficency-tests/msg77436/#msg77436 wich i wanted to do first

i noticed that some things arent correct anymore
1.6 u -> ayu
4.1 tswon -> tswayon

to avoid confusion it would be nice if you mention it somewhere or change the document. I think its still a usefull excercise.

NeotrekkerZ

Wow, made a lot of simple errors there.

Ma omängum fra'uti,

Fixed everything in your posts with the following notes:

Quoteulte kllkulat klltet awngeyä fpi fngap.
Perhaps use fte here, which would of course change the answer.  Also, I'm thinking that fngap would be the object not kllte.  Kllte would then be ftu kllte.
Couldn't find a satisfactory solution, so I just deleted fpi skxe.  It's not crucial anyway.

QuoteI think this is a little backwards as far as the use of "a".  "This send-them-a-message thing is our land"...  It's the message you want to describe.
I really like your interpretation here.

QuoteI'm not sure lelok means what you think it means.  Sim is probably a better base, maybe lesim...
Yeah, didn't have this word when I wrote it, updated.

QuoteI'm a little nervous about lestum, we haven't seen le- used in canon on an adverb yet.
Yeah, never liked that word, so I just deleted it.  It's not that important in the sentence anyway.

QuoteSrusew (o??) would be an adjective...  Tìsrusew would be the gerund like form...  But it seems like this should be sìpängkxo sìsrewsì or sìpusängkxo sìsrusewsì, mixing them just seems odd like a literal English translation.
Changed the sentence to "therefore this will be a great time to chat and (to) dance."

Decided on ngop instead of uvan si.

QuoteRikx fu ayoe ke flayä... 
Update error, forgot to change it to win säpi in the solutions.

QuoteKxawm... meseyri?
Changed.  Implications are a little odd otherwise.

Thanks for your excellent observations.

Updated version now posted.

Ma 'eylan na'viyä,

Will correct and update shortly.  Thanks.

omängum fra'uti

Thanks for being on the ball about fixing things! :)

I'll take another look again later...  I didn't go over absolutely everything with a fine toothed come, since there's quite a bit there.  Impressive work getting that all together.

NeotrekkerZ

Yeah, I've looked at it so much I've gone blind.
QuoteI'll take another look again later...  I didn't go over absolutely everything with a fine toothed come, since there's quite a bit there.
Take your time.  I'm surprised you were able to give me so much feedback so early on anyway.

Oh, one note I forgot to mention in my previous post.  I kept mì hrrap.  I couldn't find a better way around it.

omängum fra'uti

Tsa'u lu lehrrap ftxozär.

That is dangerous to the celebration?  Still seems a little idiomatic though, like what I just said there would mean danger in a "Don't try this at home" sort of way.

NeotrekkerZ

Maybe with the topic:  Ftxozäri, tsa lu lehrrap?

omängum fra'uti

That sounds like the celebration is dangerous.

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

I think I'll wait using this, I've read it over, but it a bit to advanced, any possibility you could make an easyer one?
this one's more for intermediate to advanced users.

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Mmmm this look very interesting! I'll need to learn more vocab before giving it a try though  :-\
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

NeotrekkerZ

Quote from: Mìhìl on March 26, 2010, 06:24:32 PM
I think I'll wait using this, I've read it over, but it a bit to advanced, any possibility you could make an easyer one?
this one's more for intermediate to advanced users.
There's the basic skills test (link in first post)

MIPP

As written in the NiaN:
QuoteLanguage Note #3.5: For pronouns ending in ng, an extra e is added before the suffix.

Then, in your test:
QuoteSection 2
(...)
5. oengä (2)

Shouldn't it be: oengeyä?

Btw, i had 60% ^^ I'm a tsamsiyu :p
Na'vi for beginners | Dict-Na'vi.com

Hufwe lìng io pay, nìfnu slä nìlaw.
Loveless, Act IV.

NeotrekkerZ

I think you're right, but I swear I remember seeing oengä somewhere.  Let's assume I'm in error for the time being and if anyone knows definitively about it please let me know.