Na'vi Propaganda Pocketmod

Started by MidnightLightning, January 18, 2010, 10:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightLightning

As was talked about in this thread, for spreading the word about the Na'vi language and LearnNavi.org, it would be nice to have a "propaganda" pocket guide to hand out to people (in meatspace) showing some interest in Na'vi, when you can't send them directly to the website right then. It is designed to enable those who have no understanding of the language to at least be able to speak some phrases within a minute of being handed the guide.

I've created a preliminary version here for people to take a look at. It's arranged as a "mad libs" sort of structure, where users can construct simple sentences by filling in nouns or verbs from pre-conjugated lists. The predefined sentences and fill-ins are ideally ones that would be useful/common in a convention/cosplay setting. Some don't have Na'vi translations yet, but are there as good ideas for a generic fill-in. If you have suggestions for more sentence fragments or fill-ins, please post them here!

Na'vi Propaganda Pocketmod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Nume fpi sänume

Excellent work. +1 for you sir, you continue to put out great things :)

MidnightLightning

Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 18, 2010, 12:07:15 PM
Excellent work. +1 for you sir, you continue to put out great things :)
Irayo! Now if others can chime in on what other phrases would be useful, this one could become a great handout.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Nume fpi sänume

I like the phrase mì txep tayerkup; but its a bit uh...not right for propaganda :P It basically tells someone to go die in a fire. I would think, however, that a basic example of introduction greeting between two people may be useful something like

Oel ngati kameie ma ______ (person name): I see you (name)
Kaltxì. Ngaru lu fpom srak. : Hello. You have well being (yes/no)? > Hello. How are you? <- important to note the "Whys" and "hows"of srak in this, so it got the direct translation.
Sìltsan, irayo, sì nga? Good, thank you, and you?
Sìltsan

Or something to that effect. I know when I was trying to learn Spanish, the little example conversations helped me a lot.

Txonyä'ite

This is exactly what i was looking for, great idea!

Irayo ma tsmukan